Alaskan barn find -80 Midnight special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets See,

When you perform the cam chain tensioner adjustment, male sure the bike is on the centerstand (more critical if REMOVING the CCT, but a good habit anyway).

If the stock fuse box is still there, strongly recommend replacing it, but that bike was so well kept it may actually still be good.

When twisting the throttle, the more you twist, the more you need to hang on REALL Tight!!!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hold on to the factory original parts, part of the value of a nice original midnight IS the fact that it's all original.
      Nice bike, one in a million.
      79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
      80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
      80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
      79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
        Hold on to the factory original parts, part of the value of a nice original midnight IS the fact that it's all original.
        Nice bike, one in a million.
        Will do. I'm not doing anything that can't be put back. I have a 1980 xs 400 that is getting cut up for a cafe bike, but it was in pretty bad shape to start will be changing out the bars. Can't stand the stock ones...
        1980 XS1100 Midnight Special
        1980 XS400 Special - (cafe project)
        2009 Polaris 600 RMK (got to ride something in the winter)

Comment

Try changing the angle on the bars first. You may be shocked that they CAN be adjusted so they don't kill your wrist. I've still got the factory bars on my MNS, and I thought the same thing when I bought the bike. Drop them back just a little, and for me they work.
          Enjoy the bike, and look out for the bears while riding! (both fur and human version!)
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            Try changing the angle on the bars first. You may be shocked that they CAN be adjusted so they don't kill your wrist. I've still got the factory bars on my MNS, and I thought the same thing when I bought the bike. Drop them back just a little, and for me they work.
            Enjoy the bike, and look out for the bears while riding! (both fur and human version!)
            I'l give that a try. Fortunately there aren't too many bears on the road - plenty of moose, and motorhomes in the summer though... The 1100ccs will come in handy for the motorhomes

Comment

Probably going to open a can of worms, but here goes.

Bikle is an excellent find. However, it is still and old bike that has been sitting for years.

I would replace the brake lines. Do a search on "spooge" and see what you get. Brake lines deteriorate from the inside, and it is common for an XS that has been sitting to have brake problems after use "kicks up" gabage on the inside of the lines and master cylinders.

I would replace the fuse block. The original in a know problem, as age makes the 'fingers' that holds the fuses brittle. This leads to poor / intermittent connections and the fingers can break off.

Take a look at the various pickup coil threads. The plate under the left engine cover is part of the advance mechanism, and a known weak point is the wires that run from the plate to the ignition unit. These wires stretch and break. Bikle will run but you loose your advance. As a pre-emptive measure, replace these wires before you take off on any long run.

I would suggest replacing the battery cables. The OEM units can develope corrosion between the wires and between the wires and connectors on both ends of the cables. New cables will give you the better starting / charging performance.

Finally, check all the ground connections for corrosion, particularly the connections inside the turn lights and tail lights. Another known trouble spot, bad grounds can be the source for many electrical gremlins.

This bike has relatively few miles, so you may not need to do everything mentioned, or everything at once. If you want to get many trouble-free miles out of it, prevention is really the key, as in "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..."
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                Probably going to open a can of worms, but here goes.

Bikle is an excellent find. However, it is still and old bike that has been sitting for years.

I would replace the brake lines. Do a search on "spooge" and see what you get. Brake lines deteriorate from the inside, and it is common for an XS that has been sitting to have brake problems after use "kicks up" gabage on the inside of the lines and master cylinders.

I would replace the fuse block. The original in a know problem, as age makes the 'fingers' that holds the fuses brittle. This leads to poor / intermittent connections and the fingers can break off.

Take a look at the various pickup coil threads. The plate under the left engine cover is part of the advance mechanism, and a known weak point is the wires that run from the plate to the ignition unit. These wires stretch and break. Bikle will run but you loose your advance. As a pre-emptive measure, replace these wires before you take off on any long run.

I would suggest replacing the battery cables. The OEM units can develope corrosion between the wires and between the wires and connectors on both ends of the cables. New cables will give you the better starting / charging performance.

Finally, check all the ground connections for corrosion, particularly the connections inside the turn lights and tail lights. Another known trouble spot, bad grounds can be the source for many electrical gremlins.

This bike has relatively few miles, so you may not need to do everything mentioned, or everything at once. If you want to get many trouble-free miles out of it, prevention is really the key, as in "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..."
                I like what your thinking - we are on the same page. I will take a look at all those items. I am very particular about brakes (enjoy modern bikes with large dual disks) Thats what stood out to me about the XS11. It had a lot of very "modern" features for 1980 (year I was born) I will likely go ahead and rebuild the entire brake system.

Thanks for your input. As you said - at the least these items need inspection, and if not now - some point will possibly need replacement. Some of it may be overkill, but it is time I enjoy spending.

This bike is destined for a life of storage inside, thorough maintenance, and evening summer rides around Anchorage.

Comment

I'm with Jerry on preventative maintenance. All those items remove the known problems of old technology and leave you with that sweet sound of those exhausts bouncing back to you off those mountains.
                  Bothell, WA
                  1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Fresh tires, oil, and a new windshield. Put 170 miles on today. 40mpg averaging 65mph through a mountain pass. Ran like a top. Progressive shocks sure improved the ride on the rear. Have Tkat brace and progressive springs for front - just wanted to do one improvement at a time to see the effects.

It looks colder than it was... Although the end of the ride got a little chilly

I ride my snowmobile on the mountain behind me during the winter months.

Last edited by Craigaboy; 05-12-2011, 01:26 AM.

Comment

PS - got it up to top gear and it maxed out at 7500rpm. Not sure what speed since the tack only goes to 80

Comment

That should be real close to 120 MPH. Based upon prior calculations I have made on the Special model and speed and tack reference points.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Are you sure you this isn't a "museum" find! That is a beautiful bike.

David
                          1981 XS1100 Special
                          Previous Bikes
                          1999 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1500
                          1983 Honda Goldwing Aspencade 1100
                          1982 Honda CB900c
                          1984 Honda vt750 Shadow. My son's bike now.
                          1984 Honda vt500 Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by davidsymons53 View Post
                            Are you sure you this isn't a "museum" find! That is a beautiful bike.

David
                            Thanks man - I feel lucky to have her. Now I just need a black 1980 trans am with a gold bird on the hood!

Comment

http://youtu.be/jbluze-2GFw

Comment

Working...
                              X