No announcement yet.

spark plugs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think NGK is one of the better plugs out there IMO, and went from the standard NGK to the NGK Iridium, just for grins, when I did my final drive swap two weekends ago.

I want to say it "tightened" up the idle a bit, but I also snugged down all my airbox-carb, carb-intake boots at the same time and all of them needed it, so my results are probably more due to that than anything.

I'll do a plug check in another couple hundred miles (about 250 miles so far)and see how they look compared to the perfectly fine NGK standard plugs I now have in the tool box.

With that said, I had noticeably better throttle response when I went to the NGK Iridium plugs in my 2003 Suzuki V Strom 1000. Can't say that I notice any change with the XS, honestly.
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      Buy some iridium plugs off eBay. They're great

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XS1100-...item53e706329e
      They work great if you don't have the stock coils. If you have the stock coils you will find yourself with fouled plugs really quickly because the stock coils don't have enough juice for the bigger gap of the iridiums and you can't re-gap them cause their too brittle for that. Best to stick with something you can set to the standard gap unless you have a hotter than standard coil system. Otherwise, if you have gone with ANY of the aftermarket coil systems, then the iridiums are reportedly (with you among those reporting) a great upgrade, but seriously a mistake for someone with stock coils.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Them I must be mistaken to be so happy with at least 10K miles on my SF with stock coils and iridiums. I personally don't believe iridiums can fowl.I did considerable research on Iridium plugs and constantly found statements such as this
        The spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated at the tiny Iridium tip and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with standard plug types. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response.
        All of which I have observed.

REF http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/t...park_plugs.htm
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

All spark plugs can foul, even those Mercury perma-gap things that used to be popular in two smoke outboards.

Check out whats coming...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13160950
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
            All spark plugs can foul
            That part of my post was opinion I admit. Expected a challenge and fairly so. The main point I was making is that I am convinced iridiums with stock coils is an upgrade. They wont cure a a badly tuned bike, but will improve a well tuned stock bike.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

I'd heard that there were problems with iridiums with stock coils, but if there are not, then I'm clad to be wrong, and I'll stop giving what appears to be incorrect advice. For that matter, if they do help with the stock coils, I may give them a try since every little bit helps in any case.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

im running mikes xs black coils and didnt like
                the iridium plugs, they seemed to run hotter
                and not as well as the stock ngk plugs.

tho i did do the side gapping as bikerphil posted
                on the stock plugs and also had them indexed,
                am real happy with that setup.
                pete

new owner of
                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                zrx carbs
                18mm float height
                145 main jets
                38 pilots
                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

I must say, I've never used the iridium plugs with anything other than 3 ohm Dyna coils.

Don't the later XS1100's run on 3 ohm coils anyway? They did away with the ballast resistor and 1.5 ohm coils after only a couple of years, didn't they?

I did read that iridium plugs can be re-gapped. Isn't it only the central electrode which is iridium? The part of the plug which the spark jumps to is just normal plug metal and can be bent.... I think..... I just plonked my plugs in as they came out of the box.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                    Don't the later XS1100's run on 3 ohm coils anyway? They did away with the ballast resistor and 1.5 ohm coils after only a couple of years, didn't they?
                    James, the 81 is the first year (US models) with no ballast and 3Ω coils.

Pete, yep I like the side gap plugs too, combined with the relay mod, my bikes definitely run noticeably better.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      I'll stop giving what appears to be incorrect advice.
                      Yeah like that will every happen Cy!
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I fine-tuned the gap on the NGK iridium plugs when I put them in, and no problems with breaking the center electrode.

I did go into the gapping of the iridiums with the knowledge that some folks feel they are more fragile, and just took reasonable care not to put crazy force into the operation. Set mine at .027", more or less in the middle of the recommended gap range.

Part of my decision to go with iridium in general is the lower voltage needed to initiate the spark jump, and figured that would be coil friendly to my stock coils.

As well, for what it's worth, I've heard all iridium plugs aren't the same. Kind of like "synthetic blend" motor oil. The iridium content in different makes of plugs varies, and from what I understand, the NGK plugs are on the higher side of iridium content, so that helped my choice. Someone can add to that or correct me if I'm incorrect.

In 250 miles of riding, I really can't tell a difference with the iridium plugs in the XS. My XS is tuned very well, so in that sense I can understand why I might not feel any seat of the pants difference.

I said earlier, on my V Strom 1000 I put the Iridium plugs in when doing a valve adjustment, throttle body sync (fuel injected), and even with a freshly tuned and dialed in motor, I did notice a much better throttle response that there was no denying on that bike.
                        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

Pete, yep I like the side gap plugs too, combined with the relay mod, my bikes definitely run noticeably better.

phil, ive done the relay mod as well.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                          X