spark plugs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spark plugs question

went to buy new spark plugs and the numbers in the repair manual are discontinued according to canadian tire so they gave me these champion spark plugs which # is rn9yc is this ok to run in my bike?
    '79 XS11SF

Most use NGK BP6ES plugs. I would return the Champions and get the NGKs
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
    Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
    Pod Filters
    DynoJet Kit
    T.C.'s Fuse Block
    Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
    Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
    V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Cant get the ngk ones. they said they are discontinuted.
      '79 XS11SF

Comment

I was able to get some last week at Advance Auto parts
        Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
        Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
        Pod Filters
        DynoJet Kit
        T.C.'s Fuse Block
        Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
        Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
        V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

there is not advance auto parts here though.
          '79 XS11SF

Comment

N9Y Champion = BP6ES NGK although, I wouldn't even run Champions in my lawn mower if I could find something else to fit.

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/t...on860-n288.htm
            Last edited by BA80; 04-24-2011, 04:45 PM.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

would have liked to buy ngk but could only get champions. thanks for all the responses.
              '79 XS11SF

Comment

Originally posted by trdriver71 View Post
                went to buy new spark plugs and the numbers in the repair manual are discontinued according to canadian tire so they gave me these champion spark plugs which # is rn9yc is this ok to run in my bike?
                Yep, thats what I run. They may be a little hot, so the next time I change, I may go down a heat step. Never had any problems with Champion, which is more than I can say about No Good Kind. ( NGK ) CZ

Comment

We must have different Champion's over here, never had a problem with them, in fact theyre one of the preferred brands. N9yc is fine for your bike but the aforementioned BP6's from NGK are spec. Don't buy the story about them being discontinued, most likley they were out of stock and too lazy to get more, BP6's are used in zillions of jap cars so they'll be around for a long time to come.

Stay away from those iridium things, they're mostly garbage no matter who makes them.
                  Last edited by b.walker5; 04-24-2011, 05:29 PM.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Cant get the ngk ones. they said they are discontinuted.
                    I've had one guy tell me that at the parts store and then had a different guy at the same parts store go back to the shelves and grab me a set off the shelf and order new stock to replace the ones I just bought. It's usually just because the guy doesn't know how to find the part and can't be bothered to figure it out, so it's time to find ANY other parts store, ANY other parts store at all, up to and including ebay in those cases.

The issue is that the idiot behind the counter often doesn't know how to find the non-resistor version of the plug required by the OEM part number, but the older guy that's actually busy (because he actually knows what he's doing) knows how to find the part, but he can't do it know because he's finding a part for someone else).
                    Last edited by cywelchjr; 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

that might be the case here cy would have thought that ngk would be found any where maybe he was trying to sell me the more expensive ones as the only ngk # he had was a v power ngk and didn't want those. but many more canadian tires in this city to go to.
                      '79 XS11SF

Comment

that might be the case here cy would have thought that ngk would be found any where maybe he was trying to sell me the more expensive ones as the only ngk # he had was a v power ngk and didn't want those. but many more canadian tires in this city to go to.
                        Hi trdriver,
                        Canadian Tire may have discontinued carrying them. I bought mine at NAPA 'cause my Canadian Tire did not have them.
                        Phil
                        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

yeah could try napa or bumper to bumper as well.
                          '79 XS11SF

Comment

I get all mine from the NAPA here. They are very common and kept in stock. They call it Crappy tire for a reason!
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Buy some iridium plugs off eBay. They're great

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-XS1100-...item53e706329e
                              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                              X