No announcement yet.

Final Drive Swap Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to hear it. I'm still so pleased I did the swap too. Out today and the bike is fast as hell when needed, purrs along comfortably when not. It feels like the bike was made for it.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

• ?

The only complaint i got is that comeing up out of my drive way, witch is a steep hill it wants to boog down when i stop at the top of the hill, now i am not sure that maybe i need to resink the carbs, if that dont fix it i may go with the 16" special wheel witch i have one of with a good tire on it, thinking i may find that happy med. in the middel some where, my MPG sucks 25/30 is the best i am getting, i love it out on the hwy. 3900 RPM @ 70 MPH, i am not sure about the gas mileage it may be my rideing habits, i am in it a lot, i like to ride hard and fast.
      1979 xs1100 f
      142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
      floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
      1978 gl 1000 goldwing
      1981 gl 1100 goldwing
      !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
      when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

• i am in it a lot, i like to ride hard and fast./ Sounds like you'd been better off with the OEM drive......just sayin....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Changed headers

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          i am in it a lot, i like to ride hard and fast./ Sounds like you'd been better off with the OEM drive......just sayin....
          Just got back from rideing the bike after i changed the headers, took the 4/1 jardeen off and put the jardeen 4/2 crossover turn out back on, for some stange reason the 4/2 runs so much better i cant beleave it, no boging down at the top of the hill now, beets me, think i will just leave it like it is, will check the MPG after the next tank and see if it makes a deference, maybe its not the higher gear that is giveing me the problem, gona sink the carbs next and see how much deference that makes.
          1979 xs1100 f
          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
          !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

• It just takes some getting used to Bob. You've seen my bike run before.

If I could get it to climb out of Karla's driveway, you can get out of yours.

Just keep the RPMs up over 3K when your in that kind of spot.

Small price to pay for the benefits. IMHO
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              It just takes some getting used to Bob. You've seen my bike run before.

If I could get it to climb out of Karla's driveway, you can get out of yours.

Just keep the RPMs up over 3K when your in that kind of spot.

Small price to pay for the benefits. IMHO
              Hey man, whats up, yea dont want to run untill 3 grand, its a lot better with this outher header on it, think i will just leave it on there and quit messins with it.
              1979 xs1100 f
              floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
              1978 gl 1000 goldwing
              1981 gl 1100 goldwing
              !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboybob998 View Post
                Hey man, whats up, yea dont want to run untill 3 grand, its a lot better with this outher header on it, think i will just leave it on there and quit messins with it.
                That's a good idea Bob. Why didn't I think of it?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  That's a good idea Bob. Why didn't I think of it?
                  One of these days i will get one of these things runing right so i can take a trip and see some of yall, sorry i missed the trip to OK with yall.
                  1979 xs1100 f
                  floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                  1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                  1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                  !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

• Cowboy, that's because that's the way they these motors were DESIGNED to operate. Now if you had the original exhaust having the CORRECT flow characteristics which are matched with the stock intake you would have an even better performing scoot. Unfortunately, there were aftermarket 4into1's, etc. that were introduced by companies that were'nt near as sharp as the Japanese engineers that designed the original exhaust. IMO, the Jardine Spagetti's 4into2 with the cross-over was as good scavenging the exhaust as the stock ones were. BTW, the stock exhaust from collector back is more complex than meets the eye, and allows these motors to function to there maximum capability in stock form....not an opinion, a fact.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

• Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Cowboy, that's because that's the way they these motors were DESIGNED to operate. Now if you had the original exhaust having the CORRECT flow characteristics which are matched with the stock intake you would have an even better performing scoot. Unfortunately, there were aftermarket 4into1's, etc. that were introduced by companies that were'nt near as sharp as the Japanese engineers that designed the original exhaust. IMO, the Jardine Spagetti's 4into2 with the cross-over was as good scavenging the exhaust as the stock ones were. BTW, the stock exhaust from collector back is more complex than meets the eye, and allows these motors to function to there maximum capability in stock form....not an opinion, a fact.
                      I am begining to beleave it, I could have got this 4/1 jardeen runing right i think but it would have taken biger jets to do it, now if i was just going to run it on the drag strip that would have been ok, i do beleave you can get more horse power out of the 4/1 and back when they were made that was all they were thinking about but with the price of gas the way it is today i just want a good smoth runing bike, i think i am getting close now. the only reason i put the 4/1 on it was becaues the chrome was still good and the 4/2 i had to paint them because they wer so rusted.
                      Last edited by cowboybob998; 06-08-2011, 11:11 PM.
                      1979 xs1100 f
                      floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                      1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                      1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                      !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

I am begining to beleave it, I could have got this 4/1 jardeen runing right i think but it would have taken biger jets to do it, now if i was just going to run it on the drag strip that would have been ok, i do beleave you can get more horse power out of the 4/1 and back when they were made that was all they were thinking about but with the price of gas the way it is today i just want a good smoth runing bike, i think i am getting close now. the only reason i put the 4/1 on it was becaues the chrome was still good and the 4/2 i had to paint them because they wer so rusted.
                        Most of what I've read says that the different exhaust systems don't really make more power, they just move where it's made, so they may make the bike make more power up high, but at the expense of power down low, and that the Jardine spaghetti 4-2 system comes closest to the stock pipes to good even performance across the board.
                        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                        Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                        750 FD Mod
                        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

• You hit it dead-on Cy!.......and very simple explanation. To add, 4into1 and what I know as far as 1/4 mile performances with many years running cages, these motors on our 11's in stock form, will NOT get you any better times that really are of any significance. Why?........because first of all, 60ft. times is WHERE its at as far as cutting anything off the clock for times. With that being said, the WELL and CORRECT tuned stock XS1100 WILL smoke the 4into1 tubed XS1100 for 60ft. times, but MAY make up that loss on the top-end. I say MAY, because the 4into1 piped XS1100 WILL be playing catch-up.....with that, its a crap shoot which one hits the end of the 1320first. Overall straight-line performance can NOT be measured any other way........you got 1320ft. to either sh*t or get off the pot, period!.......Hence, fall of 1977, Yamaha had THE worlds quickest PRODUCTION motorcycle in the WORLD, with pro 1320ft. expert aboard, Pee-Wee Gleason at 125lbs. soaking wet. BTW, he also did ALL the riding for OFFICIAL 1/4 mile tmes for the other manufacturers.

Comment

• Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                            Most of what I've read says that the different exhaust systems don't really make more power, they just move where it's made, so they may make the bike make more power up high, but at the expense of power down low, and that the Jardine spaghetti 4-2 system comes closest to the stock pipes to good even performance across the board.
                            I just got back from rideing it and i think i will leave the Spaghetti pipes on there. i like the way they preform better than the 4/1, the only thing i would like to change is the baffels in them, i dont like the way it sounds so much now but i dont want to bucher them up and then not like the way it preforms or sounds, i would like to use a straigh trough glass pack baffel like is in a harley sportster,if you take the first baffel out of the sportster mufflers you are left with is like a straight trough glass pack (older style without the cat. conveter) i have use these on outher bikes and like the sound of them, gona keep my eye out for an old set of heades that i can bucher up and play with and see what i can come up with.
                            1979 xs1100 f
                            floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                            1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                            1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                            !986 venture royale 1300

Comment

I just got back from rideing it and i think i will leave the Spaghetti pipes on there. i like the way they preform better than the 4/1, the only thing i would like to change is the baffels in them, i dont like the way it sounds so much now but i dont want to bucher them up and then not like the way it preforms or sounds, i would like to use a straigh trough glass pack baffel like is in a harley sportster,if you take the first baffel out of the sportster mufflers you are left with is like a straight trough glass pack (older style without the cat. conveter) i have use these on outher bikes and like the sound of them, gona keep my eye out for an old set of heades that i can bucher up and play with and see what i can come up with.
                              If you do you won't like what it does to the low end. Part of what gives you the good low end is the back pressure and the crossover, and typically when you cut off the old mufflers if you do it wrong you lose the crossover, and without the baffles you lose that all important back pressure and with it goes the low end power (and you gain high end power IF you rejet). Ivan put glass packs on IIRC stock headers and wasn't ever able to get it to run well through the whole RPM range without the back pressure that baffles give. Harley mufflers with the stock baffles are supposed to work pretty much just like stock with the stock pipes though.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

• Just thought I'd post up again, to get this thread toward the front of the line, as there ares some other FD swap threads showing up and a lot of good info is in this one.
                                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Working...
                                X