No announcement yet.

miles per tank load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 79 special would get 100 miles before the red light came on. Than I switched exhaust to cleaner 4 into 1 with no holes and now its 75 miles till red light. Same brand same 4 to 1 just without huge holes where the pipes smacked the ground.
    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
    76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
    79 special (skull bike)
    79 special (parts bike w/title)
    79 special
    80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
    81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
    81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
    80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
    81 650 maxim
    81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
    01 Gz 250

Comment

Fuel

160 to the red light.
      Installed 4 into 1 Mac pipes, runs a lot better but uses more fuel.
      I am mostly highway, but got caught in the " Colwood Crawl " yesterday.
      I would prefer to get 180 before the light comes on. Seems to be at least 20 km in tank after the red light.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

80 SG Special, 108 miles to the red low fuel light, turn to reserve at 115 miles (this is in commuting on the highway, not much stop and go), at which point if I'm right at a gas station, it takes about 3.3 gallons to fill up the 4 gallon tank.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Took a road trip to Lake Mary FL Sunday(fromValdosta GA) andgot 33.33 mph. Best so far head back tomorrow I hope about the same. Ike ran great. 79F
          Last edited by rappin; 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM.
          79 XS11

Comment

My 80G easily gets 160 miles to Reserve; furthest I've ridden is 190 miles and it still had a little fuel left in the tank so I might have made it to 200 miles but I was sweating cold bullets while looking for an open gas station.

The XS pretty much turns into a mile marker when the engine stops running: don't push it.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

125 miles and I'm walking Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                My 80G easily gets 160 miles to Reserve;
                That is fantastic Scott. Most of my standards will do 130mi before I need reserve and that is where I lose my nerve.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

My bike is a Standard, full dress with a Pacific fairing and Vetter saddlebags and trunk. My trip to work is 55 miles, round trip. I filled up yesterday, when I left for work and filled up today when I got home. It took 2.9 gallons for 110 miles, which my calculator tells me is a just shy of 38 mpg. This is a mix of driving. The first 12 miles on the way to work are on county roads with several lights (50 mph, tops) and the remainder on the highway, where. I cruise to work at 60-65, then do stop and go traffic on highway on the way home, with the last 10 miles being on city streets.

Whoa, was that all one sentence?

Patrick
                  The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                  1969 Yamaha DT1B
                  Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Going easy, I get about 100 to 110 till red light, but if I'm REALLY having fun, it's about 90 till the light. This is on the Midnight Special. I used to get about 120 to 140 on my first standard, but the "new" one is only about 110 to 120.
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Did a little test

Last Summer I did a little test with my 79 Special. I got 126 until the motor studdered and then I switched to reserve and got another 12 miles till she quit.
                      Mike Giroir
                      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I should add....

I did this test last Summer before I switched over to 36mm Keihin carbs from a ZRX 1200. I plan to do the same test this summer with the new carbs to see if there is any big difference although it seems I get the same or a bit better milage with the Keihins.
                        Mike Giroir
                        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
                          I did this test last Summer before I switched over to 36mm Keihin carbs from a ZRX 1200. I plan to do the same test this summer with the new carbs to see if there is any big difference although it seems I get the same or a bit better milage with the Keihins.
                          im getting better economy with the keihins carbs,
                          170km used 10 litres of fuel exactly, add another 5 litres (reserve)
                          thats just over 250km a tank (special),
                          and ive leaned the floats a bit since,
                          no idea what that is in mpg but im pretty happy with it.
                          Last edited by petejw; 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM.
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

hi all! i get about 180 until the red light! that's in kilometers ... i now have a vetter fairing and we will see if those numbers keep up,,enjoy your spring and ride safe ,,slow mo!
                            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                            moemcnally@hotmail.com
                            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

That is right at 40 mpg, Pete. That is good for these bikes.

Patrick
                              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                              1969 Yamaha DT1B
                              Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

thanx patrick,
                                even better for a clapped out engine.
                                pete

new owner of
                                08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                                1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                                zrx carbs
                                18mm float height
                                145 main jets
                                38 pilots
                                slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                                fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
                                X