3rd project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stepka View Post
    Well I just beat the hell out of the carbs with a rubber hammer and they FINALLY stopped leaking like a bastard. Thanks for your help!! Tomorrow I hope to fire it up and see how she runs after all everything, wish me luck :-)
    Yep, I usually tap the bowls with a screwdriver handle while first filling the carbs to keep the floats from sticking, hope it works out for you. Before riding the bike, make sure none of that fuel got in the oil.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Yep, I usually tap the bowls with a screwdriver handle while first filling the carbs to keep the floats from sticking, hope it works out for you. Before riding the bike, make sure none of that fuel got in the oil.
      I am going to change it before I start is
      1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
      Still has carb issues, but runs
      For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Comment

Well it runs!!! BUT I am having major sync issues. I did the bench to sync and had my screws out 3 turns. When I first started it up it fired with no choke and directly recede to 4k. I am getting good vacuum readings (10) on 1,2,4 and 3 is still around 3-4 After many failed adjustments I plan on taking them off again to resync.

I was getting exhaust temps of 400° on cylinders 2-4 and 130 on 1. Before I touched anything I was getting 300° on 1,2,4 and 100 on 2. I checked timing again and its dead on with the marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepka View Post
          Well it runs!!! BUT I am having major sync issues. I did the bench to sync and had my screws out 3 turns. When I first started it up it fired with no choke and directly recede to 4k. I am getting good vacuum readings (10) on 1,2,4 and 3 is still around 3-4 After many failed adjustments I plan on taking them off again to resync.

I was getting exhaust temps of 400° on cylinders 2-4 and 130 on 1. Before I touched anything I was getting 300° on 1,2,4 and 100 on 2. I checked timing again and its dead on with the marks.
          Bench sync is just a starting point. Sync should be done on the bike as every time you take them on and off it WILL change the sync. Adjust the sync and adjust the idle speed and do back and forth until it right, but do it with them on the bike, you CANNOT do a fully accurate sync with the carbs off the bike, they will move as you put them on, and while you MIGHT be lucky and have them move back into the right place as they fasten down, they likely will not lock down exactly in the same place twice, so you put the gauges on them and adjust them on the bike, and with the idle as low as you can get it to run reliably so as to get it as accurate as possible. Adjust the mixture, either by ear or other method, then sync, then repeat until no improvement can be made, it can take several iterations to reach this point in the process.

Do NOT keep taking them off to bench sync them just because they are not in sync, you will never get them right that way, you gotta do them on the bike, it's the only way to get them right, cause you gotta adjust them to the engine and the way they are sitting and twisted/adjusted when attached to the engine.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks for the information! These carbs are a lot more temperamental than automotive carbs. Well time for trial and error this week.

Comment

So I got the carbs going a little better.... BUT I am backfiring through #3 carb and I have no vacuum on the same cylinder. I have synced it to 10psi across the gouges but that dam #3 is at 2psi. I have not checked float level in with carbs on yet but I will tonight. I have adjusted the cam tensioner and valves but I may check the valves again now that its running better. Is there anything else I should look for?

Comment

Working...
              X