3rd project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
    The low vacuum numbers make me think of similar problems I had recently. make sure to check you cam timing adjustment when you do the valve shims. Do not forget and make yourself a whack of work like I did
    From what I can tell my timing is non adjustable because there is no slots
    1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
    Still has carb issues, but runs
    For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31788
      Shows you some of my adventures and the cam timing marks I am referring to. And yes the timing can be adjusted on these as well.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I forget if you stated this, might want to put your model and year in your signature line.

The 81 model year they took the timing adjustment out by using non-removable fasteners. The solution is to drill the heads off, pull the timing assembly, remove the remaining screw with pliers ect. Then reinstall with a removable screw so you can adjust.

I think the thought was that in removing the mechanical advanc and only needing the vac adv that once it was set at the factory it did not need to be changed. Either that, or the timing was part of meeting the EPA regs of the day, like the lean mixture setting and the caps over the mix screws.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31788
          Shows you some of my adventures and the cam timing marks I am referring to. And yes the timing can be adjusted on these as well.
          Thanks a TON!!! I will inspect that before adjusting my valves.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            The general concensus is that it can cause the clutch to slip. I say can, only because there have been reports of owners using the full synthetic with no il-effects. But the larger number have reported problems. Perhaps it only that the synthetic is exposing iffy clutch disc or springs, but all worked better after switching back.

For my money, I'm sticking with the dino-oil, and no I am not going to open up the can of what weight or type or blah blah blah...
            I'm currently running Mobil 1 15-50. I've read it's one of the synthetics others have used. I've put over 300 miles on it mostly 2 up and my bike seems to like it. The first thing I noticed the trans shifts a lot smoother. I'm guessing that the better oil has made my rings seat better since it has not used any oil.
            With GTX. I would have to top off a little at about 200 miles and with Rotella 15-40 at about 175miles.

Rick
            XS1100F TKAT fork brace Stock suspension. Vetter Fairing. Pingel Petcocks. Geezer voltage regulator
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3026.jpg
            650SF
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF2647.jpg
            XS1100SG Project bike
            http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF3034.jpg

Comment

Well, the timing marks all line up so my timing chain is right on. So all "should" be well regarding that. I checked valve clearance on the intake with a .25mm gauge and all is good. I will recheck when I get a smaller gauge set and I will check the exhaust as well.

I did a compression test just for kicks. I got all kinds of diffrent numbers from the same cylinder. I will need to get my hands on a better gauge than my elcheapo. Mental note: Harbor Freight is only good for "some" tools not all!!

My replacement carb is a bastard on the other hand. The mixture screw is froze and the jet on the air filter is as well. I ended up stripping off the heads on the screws.......PUCK!!!!! So the search continues for the #2 carb. Is there another option for carbs that I could look into? I figure that 78-79 carbs would work just fine. I really only want a #2 body because I have rebuilt all of these already.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and ideas!!!

Comment

When you did the compression test did you take out all the other plugs as well? Did you hold the throttle wide open, or are the carbs off. If they are on and not open you will get lower numbers as a rule. If your cranking speed is low you may get differing numbers too.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

When you did the compression test did you take out all the other plugs as well? Did you hold the throttle wide open, or are the carbs off. If they are on and not open you will get lower numbers as a rule. If your cranking speed is low you may get differing numbers too.
                  All of the plugs were out and the carbs are sill on the bench. My battery was pretty weak as well so that may have affected it. I am still gonna get a Snap-on from a buddy, just to check.

Comment

Time to lick my wounds with some home-brewed beer for now.... till I get a carb or get them pieces out

Comment

Plenty of people strip the heads off jets and still get the jet out, it just takes some determination and work. If it really comes down to it, take it to a machine shop and have them do it and you'll have it back in an hour or so.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

And no you really don't want to mix years in the carbs. Do your carbs have a rubber plug covering the pilot jet or a screw or nothing? Is there a passage between the main jet tower and the pilot jet tower? Are there 2 or 4 T's in-between the carbs?
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Stepka View Post
                          Thanks a TON!!! I will inspect that before adjusting my valves.
                          But check the timing before you drill those out. If the timing is correct, no reason to drill them out and mess anything up. However, you can indeed drill them out and make it adjustable. I used two valve cover bolts in the place of the ones I drilled out. They are a perfect fit into the same fittings, maybe it restricts the adjustment a bit, but I don't need to go beyond where it restricts me to anyways so who cares? I just pulled two valve cover bolts from my old engine when I did the swap after I drilled them out.
                          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                          Vetter Windjammer IV
                          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                          OEM Luggage Rack
                          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                          Spade Fuse Box
                          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                          750 FD Mod
                          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Well took the Carb to a machine shop and the housing cracked. I'm gonna go back to the salvage yard and see if they will exchange it, unless someone had a 80-81 #2 Carb.

Comment

I got same smaller feeler gauges and I only have .05mm clearance an intake and .07mm on exhaust.... is it time for same head work? My bike has 46K miles it affects any thing.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                                And no you really don't want to mix years in the carbs. Do your carbs have a rubber plug covering the pilot jet or a screw or nothing? Is there a passage between the main jet tower and the pilot jet tower? Are there 2 or 4 T's in-between the carbs?
                                My carbs do not have have anything covering the pilot jet. I dent know about the passage, sorry. There is only 2 t's between the carbs for fuel and that's it. So if I bought a full set of older carbs that would affect the bike?

Comment

Working...
                                X