No announcement yet.

3rd project bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve clearances should be, now this is off the top of my head and I think itslughtly different for later models like yours, more like intake .16-.21mm exhaust .20-.24mm. So yeah, you have some reshimming to do.

So if you only have 2 t's between the carbs you have late model carbs, but with it being an '80 you may need those rubber plugs over the pilot jets so that's why I asked about the passage between the main and pilot tunnel.

You would not have any problems if you bought a full rack from any other year XS 11 as long as all the carbs are the same. But keep mind most likely they are going to need to be stripped and cleaned and fixed and you may end up in the same boat as now, so it may just be better to fix the ones you got.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Valve clearances should be, now this is off the top of my head and I think itslughtly different for later models like yours, more like intake .16-.21mm exhaust .20-.24mm. So yeah, you have some reshimming to do.

So if you only have 2 t's between the carbs you have late model carbs, but with it being an '80 you may need those rubber plugs over the pilot jets so that's why I asked about the passage between the main and pilot tunnel.

You would not have any problems if you bought a full rack from any other year XS 11 as long as all the carbs are the same. But keep mind most likely they are going to need to be stripped and cleaned and fixed and you may end up in the same boat as now, so it may just be better to fix the ones you got.
      Those plugs depend on if it's early 80 or late 80, as the 80 model year carbs are not all the same, with two different styles used, some with the passage and plug and some without the passage or plug. So, most likely if the plugs are not there and it runs, it doesn't have the passage, cause if the passage is there and the plug isn't, it won't run when it tries to transition to the mains as it's then trying to feed directly from the bowl without any jets, talk about rich. In theory you could find a way to block that passage and get rid of the plug, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The frame states its a 80 but the motor states its a 81 with a number of 4R1-
        1981 xs1100 venturer... Finally runs
        Still has carb issues, but runs
        For all of your Amsoil needs go to www.mrguysoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stepka View Post
          The frame states its a 80 but the motor states its a 81 with a number of 4R1-
          You need to determine if you have 80 or 81 ignition components as that's the difference between the two years engine wise. One quick way to tell is to look at the TCI under the seat and see if it's part number is 4r0 or 2h7, with the former being the 81 TCI and the latter being the 80 and earlier. Then you need to confirm that the stuff under the ignition coil cover on the left side matches, as you can get severe performance issues if you mix 81 stuff under that cover with an 80 TCI. If you have an 80 TCI you need a timing assembly under that cover that has a centrifugal advance system using springs and weights, which 81 engines didn't come with. I have an 81 engine in my 80G, but it has the 80 ignition components on the engine from my original engine.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            - - - if the passage is there and the plug isn't, it won't run when it tries to transition to the mains as it's then trying to feed directly from the bowl without any jets, talk about rich. In theory you could find a way to block that passage and get rid of the plug, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
            Hi Cy,
            I don't think that's quite right.
            The carb with no passage has a 110 main jet and both main and slow running jets draw gas directly from the float bowl.
            Plug that carb and the slow running jet gets no gas at all.
            The carb with the passage has a 135 main jet, the slow running jet installation passage is plugged and the slow running jet is fed from the main jet.
            Unplug that carb and both jets feed from the float bowl which means it runs really rich.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Mine did have 110's in it

Comment

Well just figured I would post some pics of the bike.

Update: got a new carb in exchange of the broken one, in better shape to

Comment

I want your gas tank. If you EVER want to sell your tank, I will buy it! Don't care if I am living on the streets I will find money to buy it.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    I want your gas tank. If you EVER want to sell your tank, I will buy it! Don't care if I am living on the streets I will find money to buy it.
                    Whats the diff between tanks? I was told this bike is kinda rare is that true?

Comment

It is a larger tank. The 81h was a "special" standard model.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep, that is the Venturer model, only the 81 Standard was a Venturer and all 81 Standards were Venturer models. Not alot of them were sold though. By 81, the cruiser look had taken hold in the USA and so the Special and even the Midnight Special became the big sellers.

That tank holds about a gallon more fuel than the normal standard tank IIRC, which holds a gallon or so more than the Special tanks.

So yes, it is a rare model, some favor and look for.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Yep, that is the Venturer model, only the 81 Standard was a Venturer and all 81 Standards were Venturer models. Not alot of them were sold though. By 81, the cruiser look had taken hold in the USA and so the Special and even the Midnight Special became the big sellers.

That tank holds about a gallon more fuel than the normal standard tank IIRC, which holds a gallon or so more than the Special tanks.

So yes, it is a rare model, some favor and look for.
                          Thanks for the info, I will hold on to everything if I decide to cafe it. I just plan on putting clubman bars and a headlight bucket for that look.

Comment

Well I did the zip tie trick to check my valve shims and here thae are
                            Intake #1 - 265 #2 - 275 #3 - 280 #4 - 290
                            Exhaust #1 - 285 #2 - 280 #3 - 285 #4 - 285

So I need x1-255 x3-265 x1-270 x1-280 x1-260 according to the chart, with all clearances at .05 +/- .01

Does anyone have any I can buy?
                            Shipped to 55379

Comment

I may have those here. I can check tomorrow and see which I have for you. We can do a swap.
                              2-79 XS1100 SF
                              2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                              80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                              Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                                I may have those here. I can check tomorrow and see which I have for you. We can do a swap.
                                Kewl!!!! LMK

Comment

Working...
                                X