Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MityVac issues

Ok,
    i have spent countless hours trying to bleed the front brakes on my 1100F. I went out and bought a mityvac today from the local autoparts store and I spent 40 dollars on it. It hasn't helped at all.

Here is what I am doing.

First I bled the MC according to the instructions in the manual. (This was done because I am starting with an empty reservoir.)

I put a plug with a hose adaptor onto the outlet port, filled the reservoir, then kept pumping the might vac until I did not see any bubbles coming up from the reservoir.

I then connected the brake line to the MC outlet and proceeded to bleed the left caliper.

I connected a 3/16" hose to the bleeding screw, then connected it through an adapter to a larger house which fits the mityvac products. I pumped the mityvac until I got a good vacuum, then loosened the bleeding screw. I get a frothy mix of brake fluid. I then closed the bleeder screw and repeated the process.

I kept doing this and I could never get rid of the frothy mix. I am pretty sure it is because my connection at the bleeding screw is sucking in air when I create a vacuum. What can I do to seal this? I tried teflon tape, but it appears to dissolve in brake fluid.

I am really at my wits end.

Adam

Adam, pull the bleed screws out and wrap those threads with teflon tape. That's where you're sucking air, and once you do that it'll go much better. Been there on this one...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'll second crazy steve on that one.
      '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
      Green Coils
      SS Brake Lines

Comment

I put teflon on the screws and it helped a ton. I am no only pulling liquid. I pulled an entire mityvac cup of liquid through each caliper, however, the brakes are still weak. I also took a rubber mallet and tapped all the connections to jar any bubbles loose. Any other ideas?

Should I be working the lever at all when operating the mityvac?

Adam

Comment

I use a mighty-vac too, and it is a great tool for flushing fresh fluid through the system.

I have also run into the same problem as you when trying to bleed the system, and IMHO, here's why:

You charge up the might-vac, crack the bleed screw, and watch carefully as the fluid level drops in the master cylinder. When the fluid level gets almost empty, you shut the bleed screw, refill the reservoir, and rechgaege the mighty-vac. In the time it takes between shutting and opening the bleed screw, the air bubble that you have been sucking downstream in the lines, floats naturally upstream. Depending how long between cycles, the bubble(s) float back up as high as it(they) was(were) when you started. All you're doing is pulling nice fresh past the sir bubble, out the bleed screw, and throwing it away. If you bleed too slow, there is not enough flow past the bubbles to dislodge them and pull them through the system.

So, you gotta be quick, and a bit bold to do this successfully. Have your fresh fluid handy, have lots of rags under the reservoir just in case, start with an empty reservoir on the mighty-vac, and use a box-end wrench on the bleeder screw so you can leave it in place jammed on under the vac hose. Pump up the mighty-vac, crack the bleeder well open, and start adding fluid to the draining reservoir. As soon as the vacuum decreases, crank it up quickly, and get back to topping up the reservoir, all the while keep an eye out for the offending bubbles. Keep at this for a bit then close the bleeder screw and check your progress.

An extra set of hands, i.e. a friend, can help by running the fluid top-up while you worry about the vacuum end. Bottom line - get and maintain a good flow in the lines to dislodge the bubbles, while keeping the reservoir from running dry. Simple, really, eh?
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Adam, you could pull the front calipers off the forks.

Hang the calipers on something higher than the master cylinder reservoir on the handlebar and then try bleeding them again when most of the air bubbles are able to float up to the bleed screws at the calipers instead of being pulled down to them.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

hi adam,
              u shouldnt need the mity vac to bleed the brakes,
              i posted on your other thread regarding bleeding,
              have you tried that method?

also if u let the m/c accidently run dry then ull have
              to rebleed the m/c again,

something else comes to mind , when u crack the bleeder u only need to turn
              it a quarter of a turn if that.

you should be able
              to bleed the whole system within minutes.
              pete

new owner of
              08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
              1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
              zrx carbs
              18mm float height
              145 main jets
              38 pilots
              slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
              fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Yes, the Mity vac works great for establishing fluid to all the areas. Once you can pump the brake lever/pedal and get pressure to develop, put the mity-vac away. From her eon in you just need to do the bleeding techniques mentioned.

For the air in the lines that is trying to float back to the MC, that is the reason for the method of strapping the brake lever pulled on and leaving it there. With the plunger depressed it opens the path to let the air get up into the reservior.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  For the air in the lines that is trying to float back to the MC, that is the reason for the method of strapping the brake lever pulled on and leaving it there. With the plunger depressed it opens the path to let the air get up into the reservior.
                  I've read this a few times here and I still don't understand how that works. If this is true, wouldn't it then be true that fluid is getting back to the MC while the lever is pressed? If so, then how could the brake work at all???
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

I haven't had to do this on my 11, but I've run the bleed lines back up to the M/c, then cracked the bleeders as per Pete's post so as to let fluid through, but with a little resistance, then just slowly pumped the brake lever, cycling the fluid around and around the system till no bubbles are left in the lines. Then with the lever squeezed back to the bars, close off the bleeders. You should now have a firm lever.
                    Be careful of fluid squirting up out of the spooge hole. Take your time and all should be well.
                    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                      I've read this a few times here and I still don't understand how that works. If this is true, wouldn't it then be true that fluid is getting back to the MC while the lever is pressed? If so, then how could the brake work at all???
                      I've never understood that one either. It seems to me that just getting things into the right position so that the air could work up into the MC might work, but I have my doubts about that too, otherwise you wouldn't need to do a bench bleed after a rebuild.

I'm thinking the first full rebuild on mine (will coincide with braided SS lines) the bleed will be done off the bike, then everything installed with it all connected, so the calipers will be higher than the MC while the bleeding is being done so that the air will naturally want to go to the bleeder. I don't intend to fight with the air in the least.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

to be honest I had to rethink my theory there as well, I believe the pressure is the key to holding the lever, so your "squeezing" the air and encouraging it to move, Gravity will make it move up then. So I agree, the movement of the plunger does not open a passage, just adds pressure in the system.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          to be honest I had to rethink my theory there as well, I believe the pressure is the key to holding the lever, so your "squeezing" the air and encouraging it to move, Gravity will make it move up then. So I agree, the movement of the plunger does not open a passage, just adds pressure in the system.
                          Hi DGXSER,
                          "Gravity will make it move up" First I think Newton just lost his apple Reminds me of my late brothers photograph caption: "Looking EAST as the sun sets" Which turned out to be a picture of Sunrise after a night of drinking Cider. His sense of direction was still good though his time of day was off.
                          Phil
                          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Phil, you got me, I really have to rethink posting here after 20 hour days with six hours of driving. At least until I have had a nap. How about substituting bouancy for gravity there.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I use a power bleeder like a mityvac when I bleed the brakes on my bikes, Newb, but I do a kind of hybrid operation. I put vacuum on the lines, but then I bleed the brakes just like normal, pumping the lever and cracking the bleed screw with pressure on the lever. Go back and forth between the two calipers several times. I can bleed the front system on my XSes from an empty system to a firm handle within 10 minutes.

Patrick
                              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                              1969 Yamaha DT1B
                              Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Working...
                              X