Probably A Stupid Question, But I'm Gonna Ask It Anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably A Stupid Question, But I'm Gonna Ask It Anyway

Is there any way to estimate the miles on an engine? If so, I imagine it would have to be disassembled to make an accurate assesment. Mine had just over 26,000 on the odometer when I bought it, but I have a hard time believing that it hasn't turned over at least once. If they are original miles, then the previous owners have not taken very good care of her.
    XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    -- Jack Burton

Do a compression check after a valve adjustment and it should give you an idea of the engine condition. My MNS had 21K when I bought it 2.5 years ago. It had been parked for many years, then someone tried to make it look good, and got it running well.
    If you have less than 5% difference between readings, you should have a good engine. Just remember you need the throttle wide open to do a proper compression check.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

This won't directly relate to the motor, but checking other places on the bike can give you an idea of total mileage. Look at pivot points; clutch/brake levers, side stand, rear brake pedal, throttle sleeve. If these are worn to where there's significant play, yeah, you may want to put a 1 in front of that mileage. Not sure-fire, but can sometimes give a decent indication.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check those.
        XS1100SG - Obsession

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
        -- Jack Burton

Comment

When I got my 78E I had no idea of the milage.
          Clock said 66000 km.
          The condition... could be abused for 66k, 166k or 266k. No idea.
          I did replace a bunch of stuff and decided, it didnt even matter. Its just one of those engines that cannot be broken if properly serviced (except the gearbox) and if it is, it is almost always fixable. Same as a guzzi
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Footpegs are a good thing to look at too.
            '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

Originally posted by 11Rider View Post
              Footpegs are a good thing to look at too.
              If the PO wasn't an aggressive rider though they may not scrape the pegs, but could have high miles though.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You're right, Strom. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. It's just something I'm curious about, is all.

Also, it would be interesting to me to find out some of the history of my bike. I've Googled my VIN just for the hell of it, but nothing comes up. Didn't really expect it to, though.
                XS1100SG - Obsession

-- Jack Burton

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  If the PO wasn't an aggressive rider though they may not scrape the pegs, but could have high miles though.
                  Plus, this bike has been laid down on both sides, so there's no way of knowing if the damage is from that, or from the twisties.
                  XS1100SG - Obsession

-- Jack Burton

Comment

High mileage

I know for sure mine has over 100,000 miles on it with no rebuild and now has 150 lbs compression straight accross. I think with these jewels, it would be really hard to find out without knowing all the po's and the complete history. You won't find many of the old HD's that hold up as well for sure, or even Hondas for that matter.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I was thinking of the rubber part on top. You're constantly shifting and using the rear brake which means movement of your boots. I've noticed that on higher mileage bikes the rubber (expecially the outer part) has noticeable wear on it, kinda like the edge of the brake pedal on a car. Just onother piece of evidence to look consider If the rubber parts of the footpegs look anything close to new, I highly doubt the odo has gone around once, let alone twice. Also, check the underside of the frame. How much paint is chipped off is somewhat of an indicator. Mine has 7500 miles on it and the frame rails underneath are almost perfect.

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      '79 XS11 Special, fork gaiters, Uni pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, ditched the octy, solo seat, T kat fork brace

Purrs like a kitten, runs like a scalded cat

Comment

I see what you mean now. Good idea, thanks.
                        XS1100SG - Obsession

-- Jack Burton

Comment

That makes sense
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

That does make sense. The rubber on mine was worn almost completely away on one side and was worn and gone on the other. Then I found a set of XJ pegs in very good condition and put them on and that made it look much nicer. That's one of the little things taht make me think mine is at just under 200k miles rather than just under 100k miles. Just lots of little things like that.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The rubber on the footpegs is a good indicator, but keep in mind they are easily replaced. Mine look mint, and my odometer reads less than 20k. I just can't believe that of a 30 year old bike. My 2008 GSX650F, that I bought brand new in 2009, has almost 30k on it, and the rubber on the footpegs is worn significantly.
                              1981 Special- currently under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X