TC SOFA experience (so far)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
    There's the convience of being able to walk into any parts supller and buy an oil filter when you do this mod. Messy is one of the reasons I did it and I find oil changes are faster and easier. A Fram PH3950 or the Canadian Tire cross reference can be had for around $6.00.
    Like I have mentioned before I have been able to find Quaker State oil on sale with a free Fram oil filter for $14.99 for 5 litres at Canadian Tire here in Canada. So it's also cheaper to do oil changes with this mod too.
    I did buy my last filter from canadian tire that is the one I paid $10.00 for and it came with the new orings and the filter.
    '79 XS11SF

Comment

How mine came out !!

My install was pretty simple following the instructions. I painted the PH6017A filter silver. It sits about 3/4" from the header pipe. Does anyone think it will be too close and get too hot?? Although it looks like it won't fit, it slides in and out pretty close to the header but with no problem.
      I made a black mark on the case and the filter to check for it loosening up after riding. Have had no leakage problems. Easy to change oil now !!
      Thanks for a great product TC !!

79 XS1100F.
      SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
      TC's fuse box.
      SOFA filter.
      Venture cam chain adjuster.
      Tkat fork brace.
      Progressive fork springs.

Comment

SOFA oil filter options

TC suggests using the Fram - PH6017 for the SOFA. In case you can't get the Fram, don't want to use Fram, or just want other choices, check these others out.
        K & N - KN303. In chrome KN303C.
        EMGO -10-82230. In chrome 10-82220.
        Hi Flo - HF303.
        Vesrah - SF4005.
        Yamaha - 3FV-13440-10-00.
        Comparing them to the Fram, there is very minimal size difference both in diameter and length. The rubber gasket is same diameter in all.
        Maybe if TC sees them he can make an observation as to the area where the oil passages are for being OK or not.
        I know most in this forum look at prices before anything, so don't kill the messenger as some are expensive compared to the Fram. My intent is just to give other possible options.
        As my setup brings the headers real close to the filter, the Vesrah gives a little bit more space between them to hopefully run cooler.
        79 XS1100F.
        TC's fuse box.
        SOFA filter.
        Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Nice job on the filter.

I don't think the heat from the header is an issue. Have you seen the Standard European bikes' oil cooler pipes, they run down the frame between 1+2 headers and 3+4 headers without any problems.

You'd think the close proximity of the headers to the cooler pipes would cancel out the benefit of the cooler

Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Is this the right filter? TC3950
            1995 KZ100P
            Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
            Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
              Is this the right filter? TC3950
              If I understand it correctly, the PH 3950 is the one to use if you have the original version of the SOFA or the one with the oil cooler, SOFCA. This is an auto sized filter.
              For the other model of the SOFA, TC (the builder) gave as an option the PH 6017. Being a motorcycle filter, this one mainly helps when you have space constraints between headers and filter. Any of the ones I listed above are substitutes for the PH 6017.
              79 XS1100F.
              TC's fuse box.
              SOFA filter.
              Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                Nice job on the filter.

I don't think the heat from the header is an issue. Have you seen the Standard European bikes' oil cooler pipes, they run down the frame between 1+2 headers and 3+4 headers without any problems.

You'd think the close proximity of the headers to the cooler pipes would cancel out the benefit of the cooler
                Thanks Tom.
                Although I have not seen the Euro models, your comment does make sense.
                79 XS1100F.
                TC's fuse box.
                SOFA filter.
                Tkat fork brace.

Comment

Working...
                X