TC SOFA experience (so far)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC SOFA experience (so far)

Well, I finally got around to installing the SOFA I got from TC a few months ago, since it was time for the next oil change and all. The install went pretty well and pretty easy, the instructions were easy to follow and clear.

I first drained the oil, and removed the stock filter. Then I liberally hosed down the area with carb cleaner and wiped it down with a rag soaked in acetone (I had previously prepped the unit by clear coating it with the filter in place as recommended) and let everything air dry for about an hour.

Then I put high temp copper gasket maker on the SOFA sealing surface over the o-ring, and gave it about 10 minutes to skin over.

Then I put red locktite on the threaded pipe and followed the instructions to make sure it was in the right places and threaded the pipe into the engine, making sure the SOFA didn't touch yet.

Then with the pipe bottomed out as instructed I turned the SOFA up till it was pressed against the sealing area for the filter cup and went about another 1/4 turn to insure it was nice and tight and that the sealant squeezed out a bit insuring I had a tight seal. Then this being Sat night I went in and enjoyed the rest of the day (not really, it was in the low 70 on Sat and of course I was working on my bike rather than riding it )

Sunday afternoon when it had been a bit over 24 hours I went out and put some oil on the seal of the GW filter and spun it on and tightened it appropriately. Started the bike and let it run for a bit, verified that I didn't see any leakage, and since I had other things to do and it wasn't really that nice out, I shut it down and verified again the oil level (which was right on).

This morning I rode into work. First ride with it on, and while only a few miles, no leakage whatsoever.

I think this so far has been one of the easiest modes I have done, and likely to have the biggest payout (going to a filter for a bike that there are probably 1000's of out on the road and that will be for a long time).

I'd take some pictures of how it looks on the bike, but it looks almost exactly like the pictures in the tech tip, so there's not much point to it.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Next to TKat's fork brace this is by far my favorite mod . It makes oil changes a breeze and I usually find a good sale that includes a oil filter with a jug of oil for around $15.00 , mind you last was last season
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

We don't have "seasons" here. Unless you call all year round a season.

I'm trying to decide if (when the time comes) to swap my spare engine in if I want to swap the SOFA over or just get another (the other engine is all black, so I would want to paint it to match.).

Then again I could save the money and be that far ahead on a TKat fork brace.

I mean, I can always paint it black when I move it over, right?
      Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Spade Fuse Box
      750 FD Mod
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

If you're not planning on doing anything with your engine after you install the spare than just use the one you have now.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

This is the first winter in many that I haven't been able to get out for a couple of rides in January . I am hoping that Febuary will be light on the snow as myself and I know there are some others here in the "Great White North" that are "Jonesing" to get our bikes out of the garage
          BDF Special

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
            We don't have "seasons" here. Unless you call all year round a season.
            Sure you do! All 4 of 'em - Earthquake, fire, flood and drought!

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
            This is the first winter in many that I haven't been able to get out for a couple of rides in January . I am hoping that Febuary will be light on the snow as myself and I know there are some others here in the "Great White North" that are "Jonesing" to get our bikes out of the garage
            This last Wednesday night, we had the largest 24-hr snowfall total since 1982. We get snow here, but usually 2-3 inches, then it melts in 2-3 days. We got 10"-12" of snow overnight, and the schools were closed for 2 days because of it. I finally got to ride again today, since the roads are relatively dry now, but the temps are still below freezing and the snow is still piled up 3' high beside the driveway.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Sure you do! All 4 of 'em - Earthquake, fire, flood and drought!
              Well, we don't see so much of that up here on Norcal, at least not here this far inland. We do see drought a bit, but flood not so much. And we wouldn't even call it drought if we didn't have to send most of our water to SoCal.

This last Wednesday night, we had the largest 24-hr snowfall total since 1982. We get snow here, but usually 2-3 inches, then it melts in 2-3 days. We got 10"-12" of snow overnight, and the schools were closed for 2 days because of it. I finally got to ride again today, since the roads are relatively dry now, but the temps are still below freezing and the snow is still piled up 3' high beside the driveway.
              Now that sounds scary what with the chance of black ice under those conditions. I'd actually be more comfortable with packed snow on the ground at those temps. We really don't need to lose another rider, or have another one end up in the hospital, so be careful.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

True... I grew up in SoCal, so that's where I get those seasons from.

Around here, we don't get packed ice on the roads. Within 24 hours of snow, the plows have cleared the roads of all but the faintest traces of slush, and they coat the roads in that un-salt stuff that won't re-freeze down to below 0ºF. Once the sun comes up, the roads are all warm and dry. OFC, I only have a 1.3-mile commute to work, and I don't even get above 40mph, so I play it safe and watch for potential shiny spots.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I won't ride at all in the winter, but not because of the cold / ice. Because of the salt. Years ago i took the bike out in late winter cause the temps were good, there were a few wet spots and find the bike covered in salt dust the next morning. That crap eats everything it touches. Never again.
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

....so I play it safe and watch for potential shiny spots.
                    Bug, it's called BLACK ICE cause it ain't shiny
                    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                      Bug, it's called BLACK ICE cause it ain't shiny
                      No, it's black ice because it's clear, not white. The road is grey and dull, the ice is black and shiny.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

No, it's black ice because it's clear, not white. The road is grey and dull, the ice is black and shiny.
                        The black ice I've run into looks just like the rest of the road, but is slick and slippery and you get no traction. I've seen the stuff that's black and shiny, and the danger there is when the roads are wet and you have that (mostly a problem on bridges and overpasses) with the road just warm enough to keep the water liquid but the air is colder so bridges and overpasses are cold enough to freeze.
                        Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                        OEM Luggage Rack
                        Spade Fuse Box
                        750 FD Mod
                        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                        XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

So yeah...how's the SOFA performing today?

I have a SOFCA that I am going to be putting on when I get things put back together. Having a little trouble finding a filter for it since it seems no one makes the filter TC original designed it around.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

You should be able to find a Fram 3950 filter at any parts store or even Wally Mart
                            BDF Special

Comment

No one has them. Even FRAM doesn't list them on their website.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X