No announcement yet.

Installing HID, but no light comes on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The description I read states that it moves the bulb forward and back in the tube to change the reflection. It states it is 35W bulb. No change for hi or low beam.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

HID bulbs always have only one true intensity. The Hi/Low ones (like the one I have) move the bulb in the housing. The problem I'm seeing is that the light output does not seem to change, even while riding down the street. I took the bulb out and flipped the switch to see that it DOES move. It pulls back in the housing about 3/16" - not enough to really do much, IMO.

Also, I have to flip the hi/low switch back and forth to get the bulb to light initially. Once it's fully warmed up, it's nice and solid. So far, I'm not thoroughly pleased with this unit...
      Last edited by CatatonicBug; 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
        The kit he linked to says that it does.
        The kit he linked to says the bulb moves. So he should be getting a change in the focus point, not a change in intensity.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Is it too cold outside for the unit to work properly? JAT
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Is it too cold outside for the unit to work properly? JAT
            Well, the bulb gets too hot to touch, and the ballast warms up a lilttle too. It IS cold out, but I would hope that it would still work as advertised once it's warmed up.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Hi, Bug.
              Has your LH still got the original setup for the headlight where it won't come on till the engine's running? Just trying to eliminate other theoretical problem sources here. Try hooking up your now-bypassed RLU wiring to a switched power wire from the ignition to give it a direct feed with no extra relays that might throw things out a bit. Might be something to do with these points you made that got some alarm bells ringing.
              One strange thing though - When I trun off the bike, the HID lamp flickers and dies
              Also, I have to flip the hi/low switch back and forth to get the bulb to light initially
              Might have a glitch in the bike's system that doesn't become apparent until hooking up the more sesitive ballast arrangement.
              For the record, my HID gives an instant bright flash when first switched on then takes about a minute to reach full intensity but is still plenty bright enough to ride with instantly.
              One last thing, does the wiring kit supplied have a power feed wire that hooks directly to the battery, or does it just plug into the stock headlight plug and is totally fed power through it?
              79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
              Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
              *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
              *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                The kit he linked to says the bulb moves. So he should be getting a change in the focus point, not a change in intensity.
                I guess with my limited knowledge of the HID setups, I was under the assumption that the back and forth movement was ALL that they did for hi/low changes.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well, I started it up this morning, and it gave a quick bright flash, then went away. One toggle of the Hi/Low switch, and it came back to life and warmed up like it should.

I do still have the headlight relay, so the headlight does not come on until the engine fires. I really don't want to get rid of that feature though... Also, my setup gets ALL of it's power from the OEM headlight plug. No other source of power from the battery.

For the record, as I understand the HID setups, ALL of them only have one intensity. SOME of them have a solenoid that moves the bulb in the housing to change the focus point, lighting up more of the road. Mine has this feature, but I don't notice ANY change in the spread of light when I flip the Hi beam on - even when sitting in front of a wall. It does turn the light off for a TINY split second, but the beam remains the same on both side of the switch.
                  Last edited by CatatonicBug; 01-05-2011, 09:33 AM.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Nathan, your limited knowledge of HID systems is serving you well. The bulb movement is all that's supposed to happen.
                    Bug, I didn't mean to bypass the bike's relay system permanently, just a temporary bridge to test the system function without the extras.
                    The fact that the light went off momentarily when dipping the switch means that something is amiss in there as there is normally no change whatsoever in bulb intensity once you have turned the light on.
                    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar

Comment

So just so I know I understand correctly, HID lights DO NOT change light intensity or wattage while switching from high to low beam, it ONLY changes the position of the light source in relation to the reflector?
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I will stick to my 55w/100w halogen and my secondary driving lights. Sounds like a lot of screwing around for not a lot of return. Good luck though. I am interested how this works out.
                        Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

1 - Nathan, you got it, mate

2 - Hi Justme1100, You've obviously got an XJ which has a 364 watt alternator compared to an XS11's measly 280 watt job, so you can afford to be a bit more carefree on how you spend your electrical rations. However, statements like this -
                          I will stick to my 55w/100w halogen and my secondary driving lights. Sounds like a lot of screwing around for not a lot of return
                          make it quite obvious you haven't seen how much of a difference a HID installation can make to a bike's headlight, plus there's normally much less screwing around putting in a headlight kit than fitting LEDS to the rear lights as you have done. Plus there is a LOT of return for the effort.
                          Unfortunately, in Bugs case, there is a problem with either his bike or the unit which hopefully will be sorted out shortly.
                          I bought my kit from the same supplier as him which only took me a couple of hours to fit and I have been reaping the rewards of much more light = safer riding while consuming much less power = making life much easier the charging system and battery so they are a win / win situation in my book.

Comment

Ahh but I have had an opportunity to drive my Nephews car which has them and I am not crazy about them. Yes I have a bit more juice to play with and my L.E.D.s took me about two hours to install and that includes fabricating the mounting brackets, the tail light itself was just the same as putting in new bulbs. I will also add that I have lowered my headlight and that in it self gave me a better light spread. I am not belittling H.I.D. and may even give it a shot in the future. I live out amongst the farmers and travel a lot of back roads so I do appreciate good lighting. I looked at the link for fleabay and was the price of that set-up really under $3 (plus $45 for shipping)?
                            Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by justme1100 View Post
                              Ahh but I have had an opportunity to drive my Nephews car which has them and I am not crazy about them. Yes I have a bit more juice to play with and my L.E.D.s took me about two hours to install and that includes fabricating the mounting brackets, the tail light itself was just the same as putting in new bulbs. I will also add that I have lowered my headlight and that in it self gave me a better light spread. I am not belittling H.I.D. and may even give it a shot in the future. I live out amongst the farmers and travel a lot of back roads so I do appreciate good lighting. I looked at the link for fleabay and was the price of that set-up really under $3 (plus $45 for shipping)?
                              My guess is that the price was that way for import tariff reasons. "Well mister customs man, the person only paid 3 dollars for the product....."
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yep, they use the $45 for shipping to guarantee that they get at least that much for the unit. Though I can't stand it when people do that, it was still the cheapest unit I could find.

I think I have decided to return the unit to them and purchase a different unit from a US supplier (for a little more $). I'm just not happy with how this particular balast performs.
                                1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X