No announcement yet.

Installing HID, but no light comes on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing HID, but no light comes on!

I bit the bullet and bought an HID kit (single bulb, bike kit) from ebay (from Hong Kong). I installed it last night, but I can't seem to get the bulb to light up...

I'm installing it in my fairing, so there's plenty of room for the wiring and the slimline ballast. I had to widen the hole in the back of the headlight bucket and pull the wires back through the grommet into the fairing. I bypassed the RLU, and when I plug the original headlight into the original plug, it lights up, but the HID setup does not light up when plugged into the same plug.

I did notice that the high-beam indicator still functions without issue, and I didn't have to change anything to make that happen.

Has anyone had any issues with the HID kits not working without modification? Should I need to move wires around in the headlight plug?
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Did you give it enough time to 'strike'? HID isn't 'instant on', but needs to 'fire' and come up to temp before you get full light output. Also, was the bike running? Low voltage will make the process slower, and sometimes even prevent the bulb from firing. Once the lamp has fired and warmed up, the voltage/current requirements go down.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
      Did you give it enough time to 'strike'? HID isn't 'instant on', but needs to 'fire' and come up to temp before you get full light output. Also, was the bike running? Low voltage will make the process slower, and sometimes even prevent the bulb from firing. Once the lamp has fired and warmed up, the voltage/current requirements go down.
      I started the bike, and even after a few seconds of running, I get no light whatsoever. I also turned the bike off (without removing the key) and left it on so I could check the hallogen headlight in the same plug. I checked the headlight plug, and I'm getting 13.6v at idle, so that should be plenty to get the ballast to kick on.

How long should that take? More than the old flourescent bulb over my workbench?
      Last edited by CatatonicBug; 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

I found that it's perfectly possible to connect a HID up so that the 2 wire male plug is pushed into the female connector the wrong way round, 180 degrees out.

In my defence, what looked to me like a locking tab on the side of the female connector was in fact a stopper, presumably designed to prevent you putting them together the wrong way.

This gives the symptoms you have, Bug, it's worth double checking. Good Luck.
        Brian
        XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
        Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamric View Post
          I found that it's perfectly possible to connect a HID up so that the 2 wire male plug is pushed into the female connector the wrong way round, 180 degrees out.

In my defence, what looked to me like a locking tab on the side of the female connector was in fact a stopper, presumably designed to prevent you putting them together the wrong way.

This gives the symptoms you have, Bug, it's worth double checking. Good Luck.
          Yep, tried that... In fact, mine has a label on it that says something about rotating that plug 180º if your vehicle has a common "+" circuit.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            ..How long should that take? More than the old flourescent bulb over my workbench?
            Well, I'll admit that I haven't used an automotive-type HID, but 'regular' ones can take up to a minute to initially fire, and 5 minutes to attain full output. Cold temps can increase these times quite a bit. They are considerably slower to fire compared to a flourescent though. If you haven't given it at least a minute, try that.

This is the reason these have the little servomotor for high/low; every time you interrupt power to these, they have to start the cycle all over.
            Last edited by crazy steve; 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Mine strikes up fairly quick, just like turning on a light switch. When it's running you can hear & feel a vibration from the ballast unit. Nothing going on at the ballast makes me think the fault is downstream. Get your multimeter out and check that 2 wire connector for power going into the ballast, but I'd be wary of metering the high voltage side of the ballast.

Also, my HID instructions said that if the ballast receives an dirty/intermittent power supply (like maybe when you're connecting it up with the power on) then the electronics will play dead for a few minutes. Try connecting it all up then having a coffee/beer before testing it.
              Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Well, I'll admit that I haven't used an automotive-type HID, but 'regular' ones can take up to a minute to initially fire, and 5 minutes to attain full output. Cold temps can increase these times quite a bit. They are considerably slower to fire compared to a flourescent though. If you haven't given it at least a minute, try that.
                Hmmm... Good to know! I was working at temps below freezing, so maybe that's the issue. I'll try at lunch today.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

No luck... I ran the bike for over 15 minutes, and got nothing. I wish I had tested it before threading all the wires through the fairing... I hope it's just a wiring issue and not a faulty unit.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I have heard a lot of people seem to have issues with the cheap Hong Kong units. I know 1 guy that went through the hassle of exchanging a HID setup 6 times before he finally got a good setup.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Look over the wires from the ballast to the lamp. These can operate at pretty high voltages (up to 800 volts) and if you got any nicks in the wires it could be jumping to ground.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

They're brand new, but to look at them, I'll have to remove the whole unit from the fairing anyway. Looks like I have a project for tonight...
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Ok, I took the unit out of the fairing so I could play with the wires. After swapping the wires around in the headlight plug, I got it to light!!

One strange thing though - When I trun off the bike, the HID lamp flickers and dies. Shouldn't it stay on like the halogen bulb does?

Next problem - The hight beam won't switch over. The blue indicator light comes on with the switch, but the headlight does not change intensity. The item I got is supposed to be a Bi-Xenon (this one), so I'm not sure what is going on. Is there another short I need to make in the RLU plug besides connecting the Blue/Black and Blue/Yellow wires?

BTW, the link in the tech tip to Skid's offsite RLU bybass site is broken.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Those don't change intensity, the bulb should have a solenoid that moves the bulb forward and back to change the focus point.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                              Those don't change intensity, the bulb should have a solenoid that moves the bulb forward and back to change the focus point.
                              The kit he linked to says that it does.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X