No announcement yet.

steering bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a pic of a couple of FJ fork stems; these are dimensionally the same as an XS stem as far as the bearings are concerned...

[IMG][/IMG]

If the 'lip' you're talking about is the one on the 'big end' of the stem, this is where you press the bearing on. It takes a fair amount of force to install this bearing; polite light tapping won't do it. Again, check your bearing number; no matter what 'brand' you have, it will still have the same number as these are industry standardized. I'll note that the lower stem has been modified; this 'bearing area' was built up/remachined to raise the bearing for a swap.

Most any machine shop and many auto repair shops will have a press, so finding someone to press this on shouldn't be an issue...

Cost should be under $10 to have this done.
    Last edited by crazy steve; 09-09-2010, 10:06 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

well i must be an idiot... it looks like the there was a race that was powdercoated over and remained on the stem... that was the lip i was talking about...
      Chris
      twitter.com/thechrisdemon -- instagram.com/chrisdemon

2012 HD FXDC -- bone stock... for now...

1980 XS1100 Special --
      under restoration for brother

2010 HD XL1200 -- good riddance...

1981 KZ650 CSR -- Found a good/new Home

1980 CX500 -- livin' it up in FL

Comment

What else can you say but "DOH!" Glad you found the problem.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
        X