Stock air filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smash View Post
    Hold on..... You can re-use the OEM air filter???
    Of course! Take it out, clean it, re-oil it, and put it back in. We had a thread going a little while ago that talked about using Club soda and Oxy-clean as a really good way to clean the paper filters. You can replace the squishy foam sealers around the edges with new whenever needed too.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

wow, never new you could clean and re-use a paper filter. Didn't realize you were supposed to oil the OEMs either. Guess I need to use the search button!
      Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
      Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

Paper filters do not like water. You can blow the filter out and knock the dirt off but they will eventually get plugged and not be useful for air passage. The club soda and oxi-clean was was cleaning a K&N filter and NOT a paper filter. If you use water to clean a paper filter you will get mud from the dirt and it will just clog it up and then your screwed.

You can buy rolls of K&N filter material. Strip off the old paper on the stock used filter that you pulled out and put the K&N material in its place and then clean it and treat it as you would a regular K&N filter, then yes you could use the club soda and oxi clean method to clean the new homemade K&N.

I do repeat though DO NOT TRY TO WASH A PAPER FILTER. All you can do to clean a paper filter is knock the dirt out and blow it out with air.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Ok, that's how I understood it as well. Didn't realize K&N sold their material seperate. I'll keep the old filter and will look to mod it. Thanks!
          Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
          Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

My apologies... I just referred to all of them as "paper" filters. I appreciate the clarification.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Nate

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
              Paper filters do not like water. You can blow the filter out and knock the dirt off but they will eventually get plugged and not be useful for air passage. The club soda and oxi-clean was was cleaning a K&N filter and NOT a paper filter. If you use water to clean a paper filter you will get mud from the dirt and it will just clog it up and then your screwed.

You can buy rolls of K&N filter material. Strip off the old paper on the stock used filter that you pulled out and put the K&N material in its place and then clean it and treat it as you would a regular K&N filter, then yes you could use the club soda and oxi clean method to clean the new homemade K&N.

I do repeat though DO NOT TRY TO WASH A PAPER FILTER. All you can do to clean a paper filter is knock the dirt out and blow it out with air.
              Nate A+, you are right , never wash a stock air filter or add oil As you say, blow them out with compressed air from the inside and a shop vack on the outside is OK too, two times and dispose and get new as you can never get out the small stuff and air flow is reduced over time. but JIMHO
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Something new every day...

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                Nate A+, you are right , never wash a stock air filter or add oil As you say, blow them out with compressed air from the inside
                Well, there's something I wouldn't have believed until I verified it tonight in my shop manual. I've still got the original 'hairy foam' filter elements in both Tsunami and Purple Reign. For the past 12 or so years, I've always washed them out with a bit of gas, blown them out with air, and re-oiled them with K&N filter oil. Guess I can cut out a few steps next time!
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                X