Stock air filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock air filters

Been hearing stock air filters are hard to find, this link was from anouther member getting a carb kit, do these look liks a good replacement for OEM air boxes?

http://www.carbkitscapital.com/carb_...a&model=XS1100
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

The stock air filters for the XS are easy. It's the XJ1100 ones that are hard to find. When you can find them, they cost a fortune too.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Xs

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      The stock air filters for the XS are easy. It's the XJ1100 ones that are hard to find. When you can find them, they cost a fortune too.
      Where is the best place to get stock XS air filters, just checked all 3 on the site and show "sold out"?
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

If you plan on keeping yout bike, drop the extra $ and get a K+N. More air flow than a stock one, perfect fit, re-useable. A K+N combined with a drilled air box will give you a noticable power increase. Last filter you'll ever buy. JMHO
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

+1 on the K&N filter. cost about 35 - 50 bucks depending on where you get it. K&N part number is YA-1400.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

'82 XJ1100, just dropped $60 on an OEM air filter and they searched and searched for aftermarket but didn't find anything. I just went ahead and sucked it up cause I want to get the bike on the road, but there has GOT to be another option....
            Two weeks vacation does NOT make a life.

His: 2006 Ninja 650R, salvaged, 10k miles
            Hers: '82 XJ1100 44.4k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Smash View Post
              '82 XJ1100, just dropped $60 on an OEM air filter and they searched and searched for aftermarket but didn't find anything. I just went ahead and sucked it up cause I want to get the bike on the road, but there has GOT to be another option....
              There are people that have used the frame a stock filter and then used aftemarket k&n filter material to make their own. When you need a new filter write up a tech report on how to make a k&n xj filter for all the xj owners.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It looks to me very similar to a dirt bike filter... I'll be saving the old one (it's toast) and try to locate an aftermarket.

Comment

Many XJ11 owners switch to individual pod air filters because, 1. There is no aftermarket air filter available and, 2. The carbs are a real MF to remove and install with the factory air box.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

partsnmore.com

Try the partsnmore.com website. THe stock filters for the xs are 18.00 and in stock, I just got a couple, not sure on the xj but they do carry lots of other parts. Also, the Yamaha dealers can still get either one but are a bit more expensive. The K and N are good but some threads have listed running lean as a problem with that filter since the airflow is not the same as stock, so some had to go into the carb jetting to correct.........again, try the partsnmore website for air filters..................Mike in S.Diego
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

Ok

Originally posted by Smash View Post
                      OK, must just be me. I got a bike that I got $4,000.00 in that IS WORTH $2,000.00 ON EBAY? An air filter for an XJ (XJ worth about the same IMHO) cost $60.00 and if cleaned and used it right will last the life of the bike The dollars never make sence on these bikes, that is what makes us and them so Special I have had many hot rod cars, spent thousands for no return and I am damm glad I did. There is no price you can put on the "COOL FACTOR"
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        Many XJ11 owners switch to individual pod air filters because, 1. There is no aftermarket air filter available and, 2. The carbs are a real MF to remove and install with the factory air box.
                        Yep, pod filters will definitely be a consideration if she decides to keep the bike. Figure I'll give her 10-12 months riding time before she's got a good idea.

We have the carb out now, it wasn't too bad to remove with two sets of hands and the airbox moved back as far as it'll go.

Comment

Once you get it figured out its not hard (relatively speaking) to get the carbs out, that first time though is always fun!
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Heck of a lot easier than getting the carbs out of my ST1100!!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                              OK, must just be me. I got a bike that I got $4,000.00 in that IS WORTH $2,000.00 ON EBAY? An air filter for an XJ (XJ worth about the same IMHO) cost $60.00 and if cleaned and used it right will last the life of the bike The dollars never make sence on these bikes, that is what makes us and them so Special I have had many hot rod cars, spent thousands for no return and I am damm glad I did. There is no price you can put on the "COOL FACTOR"
                              Hold on..... You can re-use the OEM air filter???

Comment

Working...
                              X