Oil Change Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have missed ...

this reading the thread but removal of the adapter plate will require a different (shorter) center bolt. Be sure you get the bolt with the dog bowl ... lol. Love that term. If you don't want that longer bolt, PM me

I have cracked one once by over torquing it as well ...
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

The oil adapter on my bike has a separate bolt that threads into the bottom of the block to hold the cooler adapter in place. Then the standard length filter bolt threads into that. I will guess that some setups just stack the adapter and filter bowl and use a longer filter bolt. If this is the case, yes, a shorter standard length filter bolt will be needed.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

He would know that immediately. If the adapter plate came off with the dog bowl then a longer bolt is needed. If the oil filter cover came off alone then a standard bolt will work.
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

My oil plate has the two bolt set-up; the oil filter cover bolt passes through a bolt (pipe) that is threaded (female) on the inside and (male) outside. The oil filter bolt goes inside that double-threaded pipe and the male threads pass through the oil cooler plate and thread into the crankcase.

I don't believe that the cracks are casting marks as they are rough and irregular. They don't run in straight lines. I still am of the opinion that someone lifted the bike with a jack on the strainer cover and this resulted in the cracks. I was specifically looking for signs of damage when the bike blew oil all over the place. The cracks are bottom near the right side of the cover. They are very near the right muffler and frame and I probably missed seeing them before.

A replacement strainer cover and gasket is relatively cheap. I would hate to be going down the road and have the cover finish cracking open and drain the oil on the road while the bike is turning 5000 or 6000 rpms. By the time the oil warning light came on, it might be too late!

Again, thanks for all the info and advice!
          1979 F
          Mac 4-2 Exhaust
          T-Kat Fork Brace
          Spade Fuse Box Mod
          Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          140.0 Main Jets
          45.0 Pilot Jets
          266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

They might just be stress cracks from old age. I've had to replace crankcase covers for that reason, most recently a shifter cover that leaked.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Do you need the oil pan?I have one in my storage unit brand new just sitting there.....
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Thanks for the offer on the oil pan . . . I already have one on the way.
                1979 F
                Mac 4-2 Exhaust
                T-Kat Fork Brace
                Spade Fuse Box Mod
                Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                140.0 Main Jets
                45.0 Pilot Jets
                266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Working...
                X