Oil Change Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Disaster

I have been tinkering with my carbs off and on for a few months and have decided that I have float issues on 1 and 2 because they don't seem to shut-off the fuel flow.

Today I decided to change the oil because it looked a little high and smelled like it might be contaminated with gas. Something must have gone wrong, with the intallation of the filter housing, because when I started the bike the oil blew out around the seals is less time than it took to write this sentence. I shut the bike down immediately, before I heard any rattling or grinding noises. Upon careful inspection I noticed that the oil pan (strainer cover) had a number of hairline cracks. I am not completely sure what happened, but it appears that the crankcase became pressurized, thereby forcing the oil out and cracking the pan.

Does anybody out there have a parts bike, with an oil pan, that they would be willing to part with? It is Yamaha part No. 2H7-13417-00-00. My bike is a 1979F Standard.

Thanks!
    1979 F
    Mac 4-2 Exhaust
    T-Kat Fork Brace
    Spade Fuse Box Mod
    Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    140.0 Main Jets
    45.0 Pilot Jets
    266 X-2 Needle Jets

Thats a new one for me But I am new at this myself. Hopefully thats all that is wrong and good luck!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

PM Sent to you.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Wow, never heard of that happeing before. Are you sure it's just not the O'ring on the filter housing that hasnt seated properly. It could blow oil all over the pan and give the appearance of a leak in the pan. For the crankcase to pressurise the breather vent would have to be blocked, and I would think that to pressurise that quickly, to that extent there must be some serious blowby past your rings. Not trying to scare you, but that sounds serious. I'd be waiting for more informed advice from here before I went too much further with that one.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I had that happen with a Honda 750. The o-ring that came with the new filter (Fram) was skinner than the one I took out and didn't seal right even though I cranked it down pretty good. Blew oil all over my garage. I put in the old o-ring back in and all was good.

You oil pump is sending the oil at probably 60 pounds of pressure. That's the most likely re4ason it would blow out so quickly. Check the simple stuff before you look for something serious.

Patrick
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your input. I was looking on the parts schematic and it appears that I have an extra part above the oil filter cover. I did some research and it looks as if the extra part is an adapter plate for an oil cooler that must have been put on the bike by a PO. The oil cooler is no longer on the bike but they took a small loop of hose to close off the openings. This plate oil port in it and I am wondering if during installation it rotated out of alignment, with the one in the case, which caused the pressure build-up. My guess is that I don't need it on the bike!

I thought the strainer cover would be hard to come by, but I was able to locate one, reasonably priced, without much difficulty.

Thanks for the PM, I have to figure out how to check that out . . . I am still learning how to use this great site.
            1979 F
            Mac 4-2 Exhaust
            T-Kat Fork Brace
            Spade Fuse Box Mod
            140.0 Main Jets
            45.0 Pilot Jets
            266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

If you don't want that oil cooler adaptor plate, send me a PM.

Patrick
              The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                I had that happen with a Honda 750. The o-ring that came with the new filter (Fram) was skinner than the one I took out and didn't seal right even though I cranked it down pretty good. Blew oil all over my garage. I put in the old o-ring back in and all was good.

You oil pump is sending the oil at probably 60 pounds of pressure. That's the most likely re4ason it would blow out so quickly. Check the simple stuff before you look for something serious.

Patrick
                Yep, I had the same exact thing happen to me with my Eleven. The new o-ring that Fram sends with its filters is a joke. I really had to torque the filter cup bolt down more than I thought it should have been to get it to seal. Since then I just reuse that o-ring. They will swell up a little after they get heated and exposed to some oil. Might reconsider before you go buy a "new" oil pan. GL
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

If you don't want that oil cooler adaptor plate, send me a PM.

Patrick
                  You beat me to it! I was going to ask the same thing!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Shoot, Nate, I grew up in Milwaukee. You don't need an oil cooler there. An oil heater, maybe, for those four months a year when you can ride.....

Patrick

1969 Yamaha DT1B

Comment

The more I think about it, if all the pump puts out is 60 psi, I find it hard to believe that pressure would have cracked the pan. I'm wondering if a PO tried to jack the bike up and supported the weight of the bike on the pan. That might be a more reasonable explanation why it is cracked. They are fine cracks and maybe I just never noticed them before.

I enjoy tinkering on the ol 1100, but I also enjoy riding . . . as so many have expressed, it is a great bike to ride. Hopefully, I'll get it back on the road soon!
                      1979 F
                      Mac 4-2 Exhaust
                      T-Kat Fork Brace
                      Spade Fuse Box Mod
                      140.0 Main Jets
                      45.0 Pilot Jets
                      266 X-2 Needle Jets

Comment

Shoot, Nate, I grew up in Milwaukee. You don't need an oil cooler there. An oil heater, maybe, for those four months a year when you can ride.....

Patrick
                        What can I say. I like modifying things! Plus I think that the plate might be a good place to put an oil pressure sensor, I would also like to find somewhere to put a oil temp sensor but dont know how to do that yet.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

oil cooler

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                          You beat me to it! I was going to ask the same thing!
                          When we were at Karla's loading up bikes for Xsokie we seen an oil cooler on a bike that did not use the oil cooler plate on the filter, it took the feed line on the back side of the motor ( goes from the block to the head ) and split it, the motor side to the inlet on the cooler and the head side to outlet on the cooler, I think this is a good idea, dont have to mess with the filter addaper that way.
                          1979 xs1100 f
                          142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                          !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                          when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

A lot of the un polished castings on the bike, including thre block itself, will appear to have hairline cracks in them. I know this from buffing them on my modified bike. They are in all cases only on the surface. Unless you see oil coming through these cracks do not assume that they are leaking. If you are not using an oil cooler just remove the adapter plate. When you removed the filter bowl you may have loosened the adapter bolt causing a bug leak. So remove the plate and reinstall the filter bowl with a good O-ring and see what you got.
                            Rob
                            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Oil Change..

The XS1100f (standard) I own has the after market oil cooler. One thing I noticed is that the "dog bowl" that holds the oil filter has two small "ears" on it. If those ears are not aligned properly...it may cause a gap.
                              Also..because of the add-on oil cooler...more oil is required when refilling. While using the center stand..fill to the proper mark. Then replace the cap and start the motor briefly. DO NOT RUN AT HIGH R.P.M.s!!!!! Shut down engine and wait several moments. Recheck and top-off oil. Do this a few times. Make sure the oil stays at it's proper level before riding. Recheck oil level after a short ride.
                              I apologize if I am being to infantile here. It took me by surprise after my first oil change and saw that I was still low on oil.
                              Some days you're the pigeon..and some days you're the statue/

1979 XS1100f
                              Saddle bags, small wind screen and non-original rear shocks. Otherwise..completely stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X