• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
    Well Cool!
    Glad to hear it!

+1 to Ivan!

Yeah,
    The 750 / 850 shaft is shorter, and you use the 11 shaft.
    Hope it all rides out smooth.
    Nope. wasn't right. Sometimes you just know it isn't and you can't live with it. With XS north coming up I wasn't comfortable.
    At this point, my fd swap is a failure. after dicking with it all day Friday, part of yesterday and all day today. I pulled it all back off and I'm going back with the original.
    Not sure what went wrong but its a fail...
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

Sorry to hear that, DuWayne. I was following this thread with some interest because I have a 750FD coming from Mr. Ebay anyday soon. I was curious about the mod because I often find myself shifting for that elusive Overdrive-top-gear when I am scooting around. Basically, though, once I have established that I actually AM in top, ( by running out of boot clicks...), the cruising speed RPM's/sound don't bother me. I do have an engine/ handlebar buzz at around 4500 and I wanted to see if I could shift that zone with a 750FD mod so that I can see what's coming up behind me in the mirrors again.

Could be that you got a dud drive..
      I do like the off-the-line pull of the standard bike, so fitting this would be a wait-and-see project, and as you have found, easily reversible.

Comment

Originally posted by gareth View Post
        Sorry to hear that, DuWayne. I was following this thread with some interest because I have a 750FD coming from Mr. Ebay anyday soon. I was curious about the mod because I often find myself shifting for that elusive Overdrive-top-gear when I am scooting around. Basically, though, once I have established that I actually AM in top, ( by running out of boot clicks...), the cruising speed RPM's/sound don't bother me. I do have an engine/ handlebar buzz at around 4500 and I wanted to see if I could shift that zone with a 750FD mod so that I can see what's coming up behind me in the mirrors again.

Could be that you got a dud drive..
        I do like the off-the-line pull of the standard bike, so fitting this would be a wait-and-see project, and as you have found, easily reversible.
        I'm kind of at phuc it. I was looking for better gas milage. I have the old drive back on and the wheel mounted... amybe i'll giv it another try when don't have a trip coming up. I'm getting less than 30mpg on my other bike right now so I didn't want to take that to Canada. Us special guys already hear enough crap about gas stops...
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          Us special guys already hear enough crap about gas stops...
          I hear that potter! However, I can STILL feel my legs and feet!

Comment

dpotter58,
            Wow... sorry to hear it didn't work out...
            Sooo, you went back w/ the stock FD and it bolted right up? Everything lined up right w/ the axle?

I'm thinkin' somethin's stinkin' w/ the FD you got...

I just did this myself... and the hardest part of the whole thing for me was getting the shaft inserted back into the u-joint... which wasn't that bad...

Sorry to hear this has gone badly for you.

The only thing I see you & I did differently was I didn't mess w/ my swingarm.
            But, what gets me is if your saying that the stocker fell right back into place... there would then HAVE to be a difference between the 2 drives, looks to me like...
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

For the life of me I can’t figure out what was up with that deal. The dimensions are the same on both drives. The axel offset was so bad I knew it wasn’t right but I did try as Ivan suggested and it went in OK. However, when I was putting the caliper on I could see it wasn’t lining up correctly.

Since I’m planning on riding to Canada, I thought the best thing to do was pull it off and go back to stock. When I did everything went back as it was supposed to.

The only thing I found when taking it apart was the spring that goes into the shaft wasn’t in place. It was laying there sideways but I don’t think it could have gone together and it must have become dislodges when taking it apart…

I just don’t see how anything I did could have thrown the alignment so out of whack. I’m going to give it another go at some point though. Just not before a trip out of the country.

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

If you look at the two springs - one from the 750 and one from the stocker - one is longer than the other. Gotta use the longer one with the 750FD. If it fell out, that could be from the drive shaft spacer length.
                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                  If you look at the two springs - one from the 750 and one from the stocker - one is longer than the other. Gotta use the longer one with the 750FD. If it fell out, that could be from the drive shaft spacer length.
                  You know, I had read several places that there's supposed to be a difference in length of those springs... so when we got to that part, I compared the 11 spring w/ the 850.... NO difference! The 2 were identical.

Do you suppose there's a difference between the 750 & 850 spring lengths?
                  Can't imagine why that would be...

Besides, by the picture I saw of his FD, it was bolted all the way up to the flange... I didn't see any gap at all. Spring probably dislodged upon disassembly.

Just thought I'd throw that little bit out there... FWIW...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

I checked the fiche, and sure enough the 850's use the same spring as the 11's. 750's are a different part number. I know on mine I used the longer spring, and IIRC it came off the 11 FD.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I used the spring from the 11

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

dpotter58,
                        Since you've got the 750 drive back out, I was just wondering...

What's the number on that drive?

I wonder if it for sure is an XS750 FD....

JAT

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                          dpotter58,
                          Since you've got the 750 drive back out, I was just wondering...

What's the number on that drive?

I wonder if it for sure is an XS750 FD....

JAT
                          1J7YO is the only number i see

1980 LG
                          1981 LH

Comment

Item Part # Description Notes Req
                            1J7-46101-N0-00 RR AXL GR CASE ASSEMBLY TYPE II 1

The first 3 #s match.

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                              1J7YO is the only number i see
                              Ok. That shows to be from an XS750, allright.

Just thought it was worth checking.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                              X