After fd swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After fd swap

I had trouble getting the shaft back in place so I pulled the swing arm. I was able to slide the shaft right, in the drive bolted right back up with no problems and I aligned the swingarm according to the manual.
    Now when I try to get the axel through to put the wheel back on, I can't get it through. I have changed tires before and never had any problem. What's up? My first thought was I cut the spacer too long but I don't think so. I don't understand how that would have thrown it out of wack. Since the swing arm is one piece, I'm at a loss as to how this can be. Look at the picture and see how the alignment is.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by dpotter58; 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM.
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

At least with standards, you would be pushing the axle through from the wrong side.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
      At least with standards, you would be pushing the axle through from the wrong side.
      If it were only that simple.
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

That picture has to be upside down. The left side of the swing arm where the axle goes through is the FD.

I have had to "convince" that shoulder to line up with the hole before. The rear wheel sliding on to the FD is not a 100% line up mechanism, there is a little play left. I typically put a phillips head or something like it throug that hole in the axel and "guide it" to line up with the swing arm hole and gently tap it in.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          That picture has to be upside down. The left side of the swing arm where the axle goes through is the FD.

I have had to "convince" that shoulder to line up with the hole before. The rear wheel sliding on to the FD is not a 100% line up mechanism, there is a little play left. I typically put a phillips head or something like it throug that hole in the axel and "guide it" to line up with the swing arm hole and gently tap it in.
          The bike is upside down. I have done as you have before but when i did this time it will not budge. I have even used a spare axel I have through the otherside to try to get things lined up but no go...

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Well, as much as this sound sliek a complete PITA, I would look real close at the FD to swing arm mating surface and be sure you do not have something off there, perhaps pull the FD back off. That is really the only other place to "misalign" the axle to the swing arm.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              Well, as much as this sound sliek a complete PITA, I would look real close at the FD to swing arm mating surface and be sure you do not have something off there, perhaps pull the FD back off. That is really the only other place to "misalign" the axle to the swing arm.
              I looked at it pretty well already but I guess I'lll have to pull everything apart and look again. The fd went on very smoothly but somethings not right.

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

I'd carefully inspect that FD, my dad had a Virago swing arm that was "tweaked" and wouldn't line up just like that.

Possible the bike you took it from was wreaked and tweaked the housing just a little bit?
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

I thought of that psycho, it would take one HECK of a hit to do that though I would think, but then, if you did not pull the part, who knows. It might be easy enough to have left a washer on one of the studs when before you slid it in place, but I would think you would see that pretty easy. Maybe some kind if gasket material on the FD or the swingarm from a previous install was not cleaned off and has it catiwampus.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Looks like you're missing by about the thickness of the spacer that's on the 1100 FD's that aren't supposed to be there on the 750's. Have you got a pick where the FD mounts to the swing arm?
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

1980 LG
                      1981 LH

Comment

That looks correct to me. Have you compared the fd you took off to the new one? Assuming that the length is the same, it must be an assembly problem. Did you align the swing arm properly when you reinstalled it - equal gaps on both ends?
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                          That looks correct to me. Have you compared the fd you took off to the new one? Assuming that the length is the same, it must be an assembly problem. Did you align the swing arm properly when you reinstalled it - equal gaps on both ends?
                          Both FDs look the same to me. They are both type 2. I didn't remove the pinion; only removed the nut and plugged the holes with gasket stuff.
                          I have the bike upside down and have used a set of feeler gauges to get the gap what I think is correct. Pivots and nuts are torqued to proper range...

1980 LG
                          1981 LH

Comment

Did you try fitting it without the brake installed..?
                            Looks like something is tweaking the wheel maybe..?
                            Pull the brake pads and push the piston back...
                            Same problem??

Just wondering....

Gareth.

Comment

Does everything line up without the wheel?
                              Darrell
                              78E
                              80G project
                              06FJR

Comment

Working...
                              X