No announcement yet.

After fd swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, can you loosen the four nuts holding the final drive to the swing arm and then slide the axle through, and finally, tighten up the four nuts?

Also, is your wheel fully seated in the splines and you have the spacer in the correct place? Not trying to insult your intelligence, just asking, since I seem to miss the obvious when I get caught up in the details.

I have to wrestle the axle on both my bikes. Its a pain at times. Hope you get it sorted.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by newc4 View Post
      Does everything line up without the wheel?
      +1 on that question. Looks like somethings bent to me. Any chance you may have a bent axle? Have you tried turning the axle in the hole ? If it's bent it should show up with that test. As above, take the wheel off and install the axle through the swing arm, does go in easy and does it line up on both sides without 'tweakin? If it does then the problem isnt with the swing arm or FD, has to be something to do with the wheel position. I assume the brake caliper isnt fitted yet ? so it's not likley to be the problem ??
      1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
      2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by gareth View Post
        Did you try fitting it without the brake installed..?
        Looks like something is tweaking the wheel maybe..?
        Pull the brake pads and push the piston back...
        Same problem??

Just wondering....

Gareth.
        yes. same problem.
        Originally posted by newc4 View Post
        Does everything line up without the wheel?
        No it is still not lining up but it's not quite so bad as with the wheel on.
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
          I had trouble getting the shaft back in place so I pulled the swing arm. I was able to slide the shaft right, in the drive bolted right back up with no problems and I aligned the swingarm according to the manual.
          Now when I try to get the axel through to put the wheel back on, I can't get it through. I have changed tires before and never had any problem. What's up? My first thought was I cut the spacer too long but I don't think so. I don't understand how that would have thrown it out of wack. Since the swing arm is one piece, I'm at a loss as to how this can be. Look at the picture and see how the alignment is.

Suggestions?
          JAT.....It kinda looks like the caliper anchor isn't sitting on the pin on the swingarm properly.

Is that the same anchor you had on there before?

Comment

Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post
            JAT.....It kinda looks like the caliper anchor isn't sitting on the pin on the swingarm properly.

Is that the same anchor you had on there before?
            yep. everything is the same except the fd
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

All I'm saying is that from the pic it looks like the anchor is not lininig up properly and that would have nothing to do with the FD.

Take the caliper anchor out of there and see if the axle will slide in.

If it will then then you will have eliminated everything else.

That's just what it looks like to me.

Comment

Late, last, dumb thought. Try putting the bike UPRIGHT, ON THE CENTER STAND as see if it lines up. The brake parts are designed to work when the rubber is down, not up. You MAY be catching the wrong part of the holder in the brake caliper alignment pin at the front of the swing arm. It looks as if the amount you are off is correct for that.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                  Late, last, dumb thought. Try putting the bike UPRIGHT, ON THE CENTER STAND as see if it lines up. The brake parts are designed to work when the rubber is down, not up. You MAY be catching the wrong part of the holder in the brake caliper alignment pin at the front of the swing arm. It looks as if the amount you are off is correct for that.
                  I started off upright on the center stand but when I couldnt line it up, had concerns that I might not have the swing arm centered so I flipped it to get better line of sight for meausring. First gear was begining to slip so i did that while it was over as well.
                  Back to the original question. How critical is the lengt of that spacer? Mine ended up at jst under 17 mm.

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                    You MAY be catching the wrong part of the holder in the brake caliper alignment pin at the front of the swing arm. It looks as if the amount you are off is correct for that.
                    Yea, what he said.............

That's what I'm saying!

Comment

That pinion bearing housing flange looks thicker than an XS11 FD....mic it

I wondered about other FD's dims had slight differences from the factory as they are all shimmed somewhat (not as much as your dilemma) ....and if Mr. Miyagi just set up the FD and welded the swingarm mating flange accordingly......Inquiring minds
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock
                      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                        How critical is the lengt of that spacer? Mine ended up at jst under 17 mm.
                        Cody & I just did mine a couple of weeks ago.
                        Total length he was looking for was 16 mm.
                        He cut mine slightly shorter(around 15 mm), due to adding 2 O rings.
                        One went all the way up on the shaft to the flange, then the spacer, then the other O ring, which ended up fitting in the circlip groove.

Your's at 17 shouldn't cause your problem, though. He only does this length to maximize spline engagement for strength purposes.

I'm w/ Chop... that's way too much difference on the axle lineup.
                        They are stubborn to line up somewhat, but not THAT much off...
                        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

That spacer's not going to have much to do with the fitment problem. It doesn't do anything to change the distance from the swing arm pivot to where the wheel connects to the FD, and that seems to be the critical measurement here. I'd do what chop said and measure the area around the flange and compare it to the stock fd.
                          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

What FD, for sure, did you get? 750, 850...?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by xschop View Post
                              That pinion bearing housing flange looks thicker than an XS11 FD....mic it
                              Inquiring minds
                              Both measure ~7.2mm

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
                              What FD, for sure, did you get? 750, 850...?
                              Sold as a 750 looks identical to the one i took off as far as size. the shaft was shorter as it was supposed to be.
                              I pulled the fd off and dont see any problems. When I put it back on I did as Ivan suggested and left it loose while putting the wheel on and pushed the axel through. As I tightened it back up, it went smooth and seems OK.
                              I'll ride it a while and see how it goes.

1980 LG
                              1981 LH

Comment

Well Cool!
                                Glad to hear it!

+1 to Ivan!

Yeah,
                                The 750 / 850 shaft is shorter, and you use the 11 shaft.
                                Hope it all rides out smooth.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Working...
                                X