No announcement yet.

wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you only check one, or all four? Really ought to check all of them because some problems show up in "pairs" because 2 cylinders share a coil.

Anyways, next thing I'd check is to see if you have +12v to the coils, you'll have to pull the tank and seat and then put the black probe of your meter to the - battery terminal and the red probe of your meter on the wire that is shared by both coils, I think its red/white.

If you do then I'd check your connections at the TCI and check the pickup coils. Take a quick read of the other "no start" thread thats going right now, should explain how to check the TCI and the pickups.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Well, now the fun begins. I'd start at the fuse box to see what does or does not have power past there. Then check for voltage at the coils, check your coils by disconnecting the wires and see what resistance you get.

Basically, its electrical trouble shooting time. For me, this is always like chasing a rabbit. Start at one end checking for power and see where it stops.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

What about the tip-over switch? Could be installed upside down. Don't ask me how I know that

Comment

where would the tip over switch be located??
          1981 xs1100SH, my first bike and bike project!

Comment

Under the tank, between the frame rails, just rear of the headlight relay. It has embossed wording "UP" on it. Two prong plug.

Comment

also, you can just unplug it, no need to jump the wires.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
                also, you can just unplug it, no need to jump the wires.

Sure, but you'll still have to make sure it's not up-side down before you plug it back in!

Comment

Of course, you could just ride without it. But then, that could prove bad for you in an emergency situation.

I found that Thunderstruck took quite the trip without me, down a guardrail. In that case, though, the wheels were stuck against the ledge of blacktop and the bike was leaned against the guardrail and it just went till it ran out of guardrail. No tip switch could stop that one.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    Of course, you could just ride without it. But then, that could prove bad for you in an emergency situation.

I found that Thunderstruck took quite the trip without me, down a guardrail. In that case, though, the wheels were stuck against the ledge of blacktop and the bike was leaned against the guardrail and it just went till it ran out of guardrail. No tip switch could stop that one.
                    Yeah, you would need one of those kill switches like on jet skis that have a tether on your wrist that unplugs if you fall off and kills the engine.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                      Sure, but you'll still have to make sure it's not up-side down before you plug it back in!
                      or just don't plug it back in

The way I see it if the bike tips over, the wheels aren't touching the ground anyways and so what difference does it make if its running - sure it might trash the motor, but the rest of the bike would likely be totaled anyways.
                      1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                      [link is broken]

Comment

Well, theoretically, killing the motor also kills the vacuum - actuated fuel taps so you don't have fuel dumping out of the carbs onto a hot running engine....then again, that assumes your gas cap gasket is not all cracked and leaky...which on these is hit or mis...oh, never mind!

Comment

I had an incident about two years ago. Front tire slid out on me, as I came up on a turn trying to slow down. Long story short, I wound up "Parked" laying down in the grass with a sign post behind the bike about four feet, and a utility pole in front about three feet and the guy cable for it just beyond the bike. Sort of my own little parking spot there. Anyway, the bike was dead due to a blown main fuse, but if it had been running, the angle of the hill could have easily let the rear tire get a grip on the ground. then it would be any one's guess as to who or what would have been damaged.

Makes that simple little switch seem REALLY easy to turn over and plug back in. JMO

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                          X