wiring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring questions

I need some help! I have recently replaced the wire harness from my bike b/c the previous owner jacked it all up. Once I got all the connections together I saw that there are some extras. There is a black wire that comes off the headlight connections that has 2 connections. Also, the green plug has a black and a black/white wire. Then there is a red wire that doesnt connect to anything and lastly,the blue wire has a connection on it as well. I labeled them in hopes that I can get some help. Also, my headlight is now not working at all!!!!

1981 xs1100SH, my first bike and bike project!

The two blacks should be the ground wires to the front turn signals. The red wire is a spare.

The Blue I can't recall off the top of my head. The green connector I seem to recall goes to the clutch switch. I'll pop into the garage in a few hours and check. I have a complete 81SH wiring harness just sitting around waiting to go to ebay to reference.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

re: wiring

I was thinking that about the black wires and the red wire. The ground wires bolt on to the light correct?? The guy that had it before me has a black wire bolted to each turn signal that connects to the frame. I didnt think that made sense. As far as the clutch switch, I dont have anymore connections to make so where would the other end be??

Comment

I think the blue is for "running" lights that would be on the fairing, on with the tail lights I think. I agree that the green two wire connector would be connected to the clutch switch on my 81, if it still had the clutch switch. You may find you have to short the two wires in that plug together in order to get the bike to start, I can't remember if its a N.O. circuit or N.C. Black wires should be grounds for signals or fairing wiring. Red is extra hot, for the lighter plug in the fairing.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by jte8969 View Post
          I was thinking that about the black wires and the red wire. The ground wires bolt on to the light correct?? The guy that had it before me has a black wire bolted to each turn signal that connects to the frame. I didnt think that made sense. As far as the clutch switch, I dont have anymore connections to make so where would the other end be??
          The black wires attached to those ring connectors under the bolt and washer thats holding the turn signals on through the headlight bucket, the other end should have a male bullet connector to plug into those two female ends on the black wires. You can buy the connectors and plug them in, but really, as long as they are grounded it is all good.

If you look at your clutch handle, it should have a switch on it like the brake light switch on your brake handle. The wires form that switch should go to the other end of that green connector.

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

so that green wire not being connected would probably be ther reason its not starting as well.

Comment

Any one have any ideas as to why the headlight would not be working. Its a brand new bulb!

Comment

the headlight is on a relay, it will only light up after the bike has been started. If you haven't started the bike, the light won't come on. You could wire around it but its kinda nice IMHO to not have the headlight draining the battery when the bike isn't running.
                1979 xs1100 Special -
                Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                My Bike:
                [link is broken]

Comment

is that extra red thats in there for the lighter on the fairing a switched hot?

not to thread jack, but im just curious
                  1980 XS1100SG - almost done

Comment

On my 79 SF it is not switched, it is always hot.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Ok, I tried bypassing the clutch switch, but its still not starting. How do you bypass that switch, just in case I didnt do it right. WHat I did was take a connector that fits, and splice the wires together. Correct??

Comment

Since that is a typical NO switch, what you did should work fine. If you want to be really sure, you could just take a piece of wire and hold it or put aligator clips on it to jumper across. Then see if the starter turns.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

well, the starter turns, but I dont think I am getting spark, any ideas as to why?? I made all my connections when I swapped out the wire harness.

Comment

If the starter is turning, then that connector has nothing to do with it.

Why do you think your not getting any spark? If it turns over but will not start, check your battery voltage to start with. If you do not have at least 12 volts the bike will be hard pressed to start.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Well, its a fresh battery, so I removed a plug to see if its sparking but its not. what should I do next

Comment

Working...
                              X