Different pilot jet sizes
Collapse
X
-
I've seen them hit a wall at 5k when the plugs/screws over the pilot jet tunnels are missing.
The screws are all there covering the pilot jet tunnel.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the reply.I've seen them hit a wall at 5k when the plugs/screws over the pilot jet tunnels are missing. It's a mid range problem, so it could be connected to the emulsion tubes or slide needles and diaphragms. You might check the make sure you're needles are on the center grove, and that you don't have any holes in your diaphragms. Might also check your pickup coil wires. 5k is right about where you reach maximum advance, so the wires are stretched as far as they go at that point. And it never hurts to do a complete electrical test of your ignition system with a dmm. Many times ignition problems will fake you out into thinking it's the carbs.
Got a camera? Pics of the rear end would be helpful.
I checked over the diaphragms and didn't see any holes, I will check again though. I will check the needles too as i can't remember if they were in the center or not.
I will do a check of the wires on the pickup coil too.
I noticed if I keep it at slower gradual throttle opening it seems to rev higher but if I give it a handfull it hits the wall.
I am going to find my daughters camera and get a pic.Leave a comment:
-
I've seen them hit a wall at 5k when the plugs/screws over the pilot jet tunnels are missing. It's a mid range problem, so it could be connected to the emulsion tubes or slide needles and diaphragms. You might check the make sure you're needles are on the center grove, and that you don't have any holes in your diaphragms. Might also check your pickup coil wires. 5k is right about where you reach maximum advance, so the wires are stretched as far as they go at that point. And it never hurts to do a complete electrical test of your ignition system with a dmm. Many times ignition problems will fake you out into thinking it's the carbs.
Got a camera? Pics of the rear end would be helpful.Leave a comment:
-
rear wheel
I noticed there is a little bit of side to side play on the rear wheel.
The shaft looks like it is too far in on the side with the pinch bolt, the little hole on the end of the shaft looks too far into the swingarm.
I assumed that it is bottoming out too soon and leaving a small gap.
I have to get a torque wrench before I can check it.
Any Ideas?Leave a comment:
-
Hi bchaffin. I will let you know how it goes. I am also thinking of doing the v-stack mod with my old air box hoses that I read about here.I just got my first xs a month ago and it does the same thing yours is doing. It runs fine till I get into the higher rpm range then it spits and sputs and won't go. I have those pod filters which I am going to change and I thought maybe it needs rejetted. Let me know if you get something figured out. I am putting bigger jets in this weekend so hopefully that fixes it.Leave a comment:
-
Hi, dbeardslee.
I cleaned the carbs out really well but I realized that i didn't take out the emulsion tubes and clean them. Maybe that is the problem with bike hitting a wall at around 5000 rpm.Leave a comment:
-
I just got my first xs a month ago and it does the same thing yours is doing. It runs fine till I get into the higher rpm range then it spits and sputs and won't go. I have those pod filters which I am going to change and I thought maybe it needs rejetted. Let me know if you get something figured out. I am putting bigger jets in this weekend so hopefully that fixes it.Leave a comment:
-
It's not going to cause damage, but it probably won't run as well as it could. You'll probably have to go several turns farther out on the mixture screw on the one with the 42.5. 45's on the pilots and 145's on the mains sounds about right with your mods. Sounds like your carbs could use a good cleaning too.Leave a comment:
-
Different pilot jet sizes
I got another xs a couple weeks ago. It is a 79 standard.
The PO had added pod filters to it and 4-2 slash cut pipes.
It would start up and idle, but it was rough, like it was starving for fuel on #1.
When I took it for a test ride it pulled hard up to around 4 1/2 to 5000 rpm then
it would splutter and refuse to push through.
As soon as I bought the bike I pulled the carbs to clean.
I found that #1 pilot jet was broken off so managed to get it out by taping a really small screwdriver gently into the jet hole and backing it out. When I looked at it I noticed it was clogged with old fuel and it was a 42.5. The other three are 45s. I had a spare 42.5, so I used it to replace the broken one until I get another 45.
The main jets are all 137.5 . I also had to fix and replace 3 broken mixture screw tips that were stuck in the little holes.
It starts up great now with no hesitation, idles nicely all pipes are getting hot.
It now pulls even harder up to 4 1/2 to 5000 but does the same thing.
I suspect the cheap pods are obstructing the air jet.
I have also ordered 145. mains and four new 45 pilots from Mikesxs to compensate for the pods and slash cut pipe.
I am going to put some K&n pods on since I already have them.
Will it cause any damage to ride it with one odd pilot jet while I am waiting for my new ones to be delivered?Tags: None
Leave a comment: