Just joined the XS11 family.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorsien View Post
    oh i plan to do as I please, I understand there are lots of old timers that have to leave it stock or they have to have things done their way or you're a dumbass, but damn.
    IMO, its your bike, build it as you want it.

However, after living through 44 years ont his planet (barely, but I am still here so far), I have learned that time on the earth instills some knowledge from experience and alot of those experiences I do not want to repeat.

Fred is old enough he was riding these things when there were only hard tails. As such he knows the results of years of riding with no suspension and how folks wound up with back problems you do not want to live with. Having been through rehab with some 20 some year olds with back injuries and finding out my time off is very short by comparison. Let me assure you, my back is VERY important to me. And Fred just cares enough to share his experience in a way to let you know he REALLY cares.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

ok I know the risks of riding hard tails. I know its hard on the back. I can appreciate peoples opinions who have been riding since the dinosaur days, but I do not appreciate someone dissing my hard work on something that I love. Back pains or not, you don't approve of my methods or choice in suspension, or lack there of, fine feel free not to comment. Say its cool, not your style or whatever and move on. Dont sit there all high and mighty and call someones dream half assed and ill conceived. Its not your place.

Now I welcome all opinions and help but damn dude. I know there are a million different views on motorcycle mods and mine is just one of the few who prefer looks over comfort. But its what Im into at the moment and thats the way I'm taking my project. So ya,

now back on topic of my project, I haven't ever messed with the forks before and these seem to compress really easily and not come back up without yanking up on the bars. How would I go about fixing this? Is it a simple changing the fork oil or what? Thanks guys

Comment

I believe the 80G has air adjustable forks along with oil and spring, does it have air valves on top of the forks?
        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I would look into replacement springs, new seals, and do a CLOSE look at the lower tubes and sliders while it's apart. The early Standards did NOT have air forks, and with old oil that may be a part of the problem. The BIG thing is CLEAN all the old crud out BEFORE starting to put them back together. I think there is a tip on the front forks in the tech tip section, or possibly the bike repair section.
          And yes, some of the "older" riders DO have VERY strong opinions, and like to wave them about. Just smile, wave kindly, and ignore them as you would your 90 year old aunt....
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray.......

The 11G DID have the air forks.

It WAS the FIRST year the were available on standards.

I have the article from the June 2010 Walneck's Classic Cycle Trader magazine "1980 XS Eleven, Interstate ICBM" sitting in FRONT of me that states that VERY fact.

Comment

Minor detour:
              Originally posted by XSokieSPECIAL View Post

I have the article from the June 2010 Walneck's Classic Cycle Trader magazine
              I've always hated vehicle dealers, and magazines for this. Its not June, I can't buy a June magazine! Dumbie, it's not 2011 yet, stop trying to sell me a 2011 car. What? You've got a time machine in there? Oh, that's interesting.

Ok, back to hard tailing your 80 standard that was probably purchased in 11/79

I've never had the opportunity to ride a hard tail, but seen a few here and there, and can just express my opinion that the standard tank should never, ever, ever, ever be on a chopped bike. Blah! I hope you find some way to make that look better

OTOH, I admire your ability to weld and do other things I have yet to learn. Maybe someday.

If you are going to take your forks apart, be sure to have a fork tool, or an improvised one...see the tech tips for details, otherwise it's basically impossible to get the tubes apart.
              1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
              2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                ... Just smile, wave kindly, and ignore them as you would your 90 year old aunt....
                Hey, no fear, he's only 73....
                1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

awsome. i like how it looks. how you got it (before hardtailing) is exactly how i want to build mine. pulled the rear fender today getting ready to chop it tomorrow =) no hard tail for me. the marine corps has given me my fair share of back problems and im only 21...sigh.....i like the look with the shocks and hardtailed. nice bike.

btw what the heck did thoes pipes come from? hows the power band? i hear pipes like that with pods are torqe killers
                  -xs1100 special
                  -wife
                  -daughter

Comment

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
                    Its not June, I can't buy a June magazine!
                    That's what I thought too, however, I have pages 103 - 108 with the date " June 2010" and the article printed on them sitting right here dale.

Would you lke to see the evidence counselor?

If you enlarge the photo you can see the date in the bottom right corner.

Comment

I guess I read wrong about the 80G having air forks, is it a myth?
                      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Hello Lorsien, and welcome. I also have an 80g (standard) I just finished rebuilding the forks. I can help, and would be glad to. You need to look at the top of the fork. If it has a small chrome cap, cerefull unscrew it and you will see a brass valve stem. This is the 80g (standard fork) If there is not a chrome cap and valve stem, then you probably have a 80 special fork. The seals are different sizes. But I can give you some places to get either one cheap. As for them not returning when you push down, I have usually found this to be sludge in the bottom of the forks and not a spring issue. Let me know if you want help and I will walk you through it. There are some tricks that can make this an easy job.
                        1980 xs1100g mostly. "Adrenalize - the Yamaha I always wanted to be able to order"

Modified frame, side covers, seat, back rest, engine, carbs, airbox, hoses, headlight assembly, turn signals, mirriors, handle bars, grips, v rated tires, gauges, homemade 4-2 exhaust system, leather upholstery, custom paint including True Fire Flames air brush work. A 25 year dream realizied.

"It ain't braggin if you can do it" Muhammad Ali

Comment

now back on topic of my project, I haven't ever messed with the forks before and these seem to compress really easily and not come back up without yanking up on the bars. How would I go about fixing this? Is it a simple changing the fork oil or what? Thanks guys
                          Hi Lorsien,
                          perhaps I was harsh? Can I say that your hardtail approach is minimal? That it could not have been done with fewer tubes or less welding?
                          And before you get all huffy, from a machine designer, that's high praise!
                          About the forks, the best approach is to tear 'em down all the way. There's most likely 30 yearsworth of crud in there that needs to be cleaned out. Carefully check the tubes for straightness and that their surfaces are clean and smooth so they don't tear up the new seals that you should install.
                          You do NOT want fork oil blowing out and getting on the brake pads. Been there, done that, developed a right forearm like Popeye's riding the bike home.
                          While the forks are out, check, clean and re-pack the steering head bearings, most likely they too have suffered 30 yearsworth of neglect.
                          Think about upgrading to a Progressive spring kit too.
                          I was dubious about ponying up for Progressive springs but my son shamed me into it. Now I'm a true believer, they give a far better ride.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I will accept simple or minimal. That's fine, to me half ass refers more to workmanship rather the approach. That got me riled up a bit, thank being Irish for that. Anyways yes I do believe it had the air valves on top of the forks. What are these for?

Comment

the air valves adjust the preload on the springs so you can soften them or stiffen them as your preference/load requires. The older models like mine just have a screw to increase or decreas the preload.
                              1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
                              2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

I will accept simple or minimal. That's fine, to me half ass refers more to workmanship rather the approach. That got me riled up a bit, thank being Irish for that. Anyways yes I do believe it had the air valves on top of the forks. What are these for?
                                The air valves are for pressurizing your forks. You can adjust the pressure for different riding preferences or conditions. It's like adjusting the springs on rear shocks... if you had any Sorry... couldn't resist one hardtail dig. For the record, it's your spine and your bike. If comfort and safety were our biggest concerns, we should add two more wheels and a roof!

Back on topic: I have an '80 special, and I also have air valves on my fork caps, and the forks are different from the standard. If you don't know which forks you've got, the seals should have numbers on them when you take them out, so you can just buy seals to match. Other tips for fork work: make sure you let any air pressure out through the valves at the top so you don't end up lubricating your garage when you pull the drain plug, and make sure you've got a seal puller. I couldn't get one, and had to use a gear puller and abour an hour just to get the seal out of the tube.

Good luck!
                                '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Working...
                                X