Just joined the XS11 family.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by draketrumpet View Post
    Sorry, next time I bleed my brakes at MoM, I'll try not to aim it at you Greg.
    Your bleeding bloody brakes began WAY before MoM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post

what the hell went on at MoM?

Oh yea,...............AND IT RAINED!

Comment

I saw a frame and title on e-Bay today cheap. I'd put it back stock and get what parts you need if they are in good shape.
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Originally posted by Lorsien View Post
          Fredintoon, What do you mean, can still salvage the frame? I made the hardtail already, lol The first two pics are the original config. The rest are after I fab'd up the hard tail.
          Hi Lorsien,
          I fully understand what you did to the frame, I seen the pictures, eh? Nevertheless, it can still be salvaged at no cost beyond that of some extra welds.
          You froze the swingarm's movement by bolting tubes to the lower shock mounts and welding their upper ends onto the frame.
          The possible salvage is to cut those tubes away from the frame and cut them short at the cross-tube. Then run tubes from the cross-tube joint back down to the swingarm. Now you have a triangulated swingarm that's free to pivot on it's bearings again. Weld lugs to the cross-tube and to a second cross-tube that you weld in about where the gas tank bolts on. Put the two shocks you took off and bolt them in.
          Like I said in my previous post, just like a Vincent.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            ..You froze the swingarm's movement by bolting tubes to the lower shock mounts and welding their upper ends onto the frame...
            Not sure I completely agree with you on that one Fred. He's certainly stopped any rotational movement, but unless the pivots and bushes are in extremely good order then theres still a possibility of slight fore and aft movement, especially on rough roads, which has got to have an impact and place stress on the rigid welded points over time, and the only way i could see of stopping it would be to weld the swingarm pivot point as well.

I agree with the rest though, saving it would be easy.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I think he wants to keep it hard...

Since that's how he welded it once he took over the project. It can still be a fun bike, just not for long rides!

(I can already see the comments coming...)
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Looks like you should have lots of room to get a battery in there... especially if you pull the pod filters off to slide it in. You may end up having the battery mounted longitudinally instead of transversely, but looks like lots of space to me.
                '80 SG with motor from a '82 XJ

Comment

Yes, the plan is to keep it hard. I prefer my padding in the seat. I'm sure I'll change my mind wheni get old but for now, still young and looks are more important then comfort.

Comment

Yes, the plan is to keep it hard. I prefer my padding in the seat. I'm sure I'll change my mind when I get old but for now, still young and looks are more important then comfort.
                    Hi Lorsien,
                    the XS11 has a reputation for longevity and thus has a chance to still be with you when you finally come to your senses.
                    Keep the shocks and the salvage concept for that time, eh?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      - - - Since that's how he welded it once he took over the project. It can still be a fun bike, just not for long rides!
                      Hi John,
                      one good thing is that his quickie half-arsed hardtail conversion can be reversed.
                      Just because I disapprove of a thing don't mean I don't know how to do it properly.
                      Had he done a proper job of it by removing the swingarm, going open-shaft, stretching the frame and installing a Harley-style sprung solo seat the conversion would be just about irreversible. It'd also look better and be a nicer ride.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hard tail

Hey Lor...welcome...........I'm not doing to dis you on your choice of a hard tail,..... it's your Butt! I agree about keeping the shocks and orig. parts......the first set of railroad tracks may change your mind and, will tell if all your welds are good! Stay around....lots of good info in here. Keep us informed....good luck,
                        At this time:
                        1985 Goldwing Innr.
                        1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                        2007 vtx 1300
                        81 sx 1100 s h
                        81 sx 400 special

Comment

Well nice to know I'm a half ass'n amateur.

Not my first hardtail and if I wanted to do it "right" I would have scrapped the whole frame and built my own. As using any part of the stock frame would be uncool and prolly half assed as well. Seeing as it was never meant to be a hard tail. I'm surprised you would consider it.

But thats coming from a dumb kid. What do I know. Right?

Comment

Don't worry about what everyone else has to say, it's your bike and do as you please....
                            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

oh i plan to do as I please, I understand there are lots of old timers that have to leave it stock or they have to have things done their way or you're a dumbass, but damn. First post and I am a half asser? lol

so on to bigger and better things, where are you at in arlington?

Comment

oh i plan to do as I please, I understand there are lots of old timers that have to leave it stock or they have to have things done their way or you're a dumbass, but damn. First post and I am a half asser? lol

so on to bigger and better things, where are you at in arlington?
                                By UTA........
                                http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                                X