Hideki's Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hideki's Build Thread!

Well, I saw everyone else's build threads so I figured I'd start my own While I don't claim to wow anyone with any amazing fabrication skills, I hope you'll be interested or have any feedback during the process.

This is what the bike started off like, I thought a bobber was the way to go but it kinda does this big engine an injustice to go slow after reading that amazing endurance racer build thread I finally got enough ambition to start changing the bike.

^This is my goal, something period correct and much more fun and interesting.

^How the bike sits currently, I know these pics suck but my camera is over 100 miles away so the cameraphone will have to do. But you get the idea. I had to work to get the tail of the bike up in the air more so when I get the correct rear seat it'll have the right stance.

What's been done so far,
    Lowered the front end even more
    Replaced the "solid struts" with a period correct SW rear suspension
    Replaced the giant forward control setup with the oem pedals/pegs
    Painted a ton of misc parts and brackets that I could remove
    Purchased a 4-1 exhaust (thinking about making a Yoshi pipe with it)

What I need
    Order my "Hammer II" endurance seat
    Order front fairing
    Order clip on bars
    Velocity stacks
    Painting wheels bronze (thinking about painting the frame silver and the bike white)

I'll update this thread as I go along, progress will probably be kinda slow as I never really have any time to devote to the bike.

good one

keep the pics coming
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

I spent a few minutes putting my old drag bars, tank, and other bits back on the bike (until this evening the bike was pretty much just the engine/running gear and a frame ) and ran inside to get my camera... I forgot I left it at my moms house super far away! So I busted out the blackberry to get some pics Hopefully I can trick... I mean ask my mom politely to bring my camera back to my place some time this week and I'll get better snaps.

Comment

Should be interesting to see. I am not so fond of the bobbers, but your is one of them that look really nice and done very well.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

I like your S&W Street Strokers, they are good shocks. Good luck with your build.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

I'd like to get a set of those forward controls like you have in the first pic for the 79 special.
            I picked up a set of rearsets for the cafe xs.
            Send more pics, I'll be watching.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
              I picked up a set of rearsets for the cafe xs.
              I'd love to find some rearsets for my XS11

Comment

omars street tracker

Try them they have raask rear sets
                91 kwaka kz1000p
                Stock

Comment

I know it's been awhile, but I started some progress on the bike. The 4-1 pipe is installed, and I rerouted the massive oil cooler so it looks better. I just ordered (as in a few minutes ago) my Hammer Suzuki replica fiberglass rear seat for a period correct racer look. Of course it'll take three weeks for the seat to get made and arrive at my door, but at least there's some progress.

Comment

Congrats on the progress. Sometimes, you have to enjoy the little successes, not enough big ones to go around!
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

I figured I better post some better pics of the bike as it sits now. Well, by better I mean more recent (still took these photos with the old blackberry so the quality sucks) I rerouted the oil cooler lines so they're not just hanging out in front of the bike. Obviously it has no seat cause that's in the mail. But at least it's starting to take the right shape. Going to ultimately get a full fairing for the bike and a fiberglass front fender. In the second pic you can see I removed the centerstand and the front fender altogether. Looks better that way (I know someone's gonna chime in on that one )

Comment

i didn't notice it above, but I would like to say not only good luck on the build (keep posting pics), but, big props to someone reversing a hardtail back to something ride-able.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Well, since I have a bunch of parts in the mail, like my Hammer Suzuki replica seat, and clubman bars. I thought I'd spend some time preparing the old girl. I grinded down all the misc tabs on the frame and repainted those parts, I also moved a bunch of electrical mumbo jumbo (my bike has almost no electrical mumbo jumbo left anyways just a headlight, tailight, and electric starter) the point of moving those things was so I could make some metal sidecovers that sit flush against the frame, so when the seat pan arrives it can fit on the frame rails and not have my battery showing. While I was at it I also made a metal rear battery cover/fenderrette thing so the rear tire doesn't kick any more junk into the battery area anymore (this thing wont be running a rear fender anymore anyways) I'm thinking about making an aircleaner heat shield or some sort of custom airbox at a later date... Either way, here's some actual pics taken with a real camera this time

Comment

you might try hanging the licence plate off the swingarm , it looks a little akward on the frame
                            91 kwaka kz1000p
                            Stock

Comment

Yeah, it looked good there when it was a bobber, but when my seat arrives I'm gonna redo the whole thing. I want the light and plate to be inline with the bike. I'll probably just make a bracket to hang it under the seat pan or something. Still wondering what tank I'm gonna end up using. The stock XS tank just seems sooo big now, kind out of place. I want one that's narrower and with knee cutouts, if anyone has an idea of something that would fit the frame of these bikes give me a shout. Still trying to hunt down some velocity stacks too, if anyone's got some I'd probably just about do anything for a set at this point. I'm also planning on getting a set of aftermarket headlight ears and a new smaller headlight so I can mount it lower (they look freakin awesome that way)
                              Last edited by Hideki; 08-21-2010, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X