Rear Wheel Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stralya View Post
    I can't see anywhere where I might use a large phillips screwdriver.
    On the brake side of the axle there is a hole drilled through the axle. the hole is about 1/4" in from the end of the axle so it is possible that it is at least partially covered up by the swingarm. You can stick a punch or a screwdriver in there and use that hole to twist and pull on.

You did remove the pinch bolt on the right side of the swingarm didn't you ?
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Oh that hole, right, yes, I've had my phillips in there. I now need a new phillips, bent it 90 degrees. I've tried everything I can think of and it won't budge. Rubber mallet, pipe wrench, WD40 by the pint, it just wont move. I'm putting it all back together, at least I've re build the rear master cylinder, I've taken the fairing off, removed all the front brake components but I've run out of time, it all goes back together unfinished, I'll need a week off to get this gob done and it looks like I'm going to have to take the bike to a professional workshop and see if they can remove the axle.

It hurts, this old bike ownership thing.

Dan.
      Automotive Imbecile.
      Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
      '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

If the axle can't be turned, it's frozen to the final drive; everything else it goes through will turn. Try applying heat to the FD around where the axle sticks out and see if that helps. Try to keep it below 300 degrees...

If even that fails, get bigger hammer and figure on picking up a replacement axle.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'm going to have to call in a mechanic. My bike is my only means of transport. I'll swallow my pride and organise a mobile mechanic.

Dan.
          Automotive Imbecile.
          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

I feel your pain Dan...

Originally posted by Stralya View Post
            It hurts, this old bike ownership thing.

Dan that is my new quote of the day.

It can be so rewarding at times yet so frustrating. Just want to ride.

Maybe some better penetrating oil, WD40 is not as good as PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench though I dont know if they are avail down there though.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I was in the same boat a month ago.
              I couldn't get my rear axle out of my G either.
              It would move about an inch out and no further.
              It spun just fine, I even broke my phillips screwdriver in the 'pull' hole too.
              With some PB Blaster, I ended up using my 3lb sledge to bang the sucker out.
              It seemed to hang up on the right side wheel bearing.
              Once I got it out, I noticed the shaft was a little rusty, so I ran some fine sandpaper over it and cleaned it up and it slid in and out again.
              Unfortunately, I meesed the threads up while banging on it with the hammer.
              I did use a piece of wood to 'cushion' the blows, but I was banging on it pretty hard.
              Anyhow, I ended up getting a new/used axle off ebay and I ended up making sure I greased that shaft before I put it in so that won't happen again.
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Well I've managed to track down a mobile mechanic who has worked on XS1100's in the past. He's going to finish all the jobs including re building the carbs and synchronising them as well as all the outstanding brake work. It's a good thing I love this bike, he's quoted $1000.00 for the job. It's being done on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Dan.
                Automotive Imbecile.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Working...
                X