No announcement yet.

What a difference!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my surprise, the kit I bought worked perfectly with my RLU! High worked, low worked, the high beam indicator worked, it changed from high to low exactly like it did before (just the light was a LOT brighter!). That put me a bit of a quandary because if I kept the RLU, then I wouldn't have to modify the wiring at all. But, I WOULD have to find a new home for the ballast.
    My kit worked fine with the RLU still in place when first installed. It was only when I took the bike for a ride that the fun started. That was when I discovered the RLU had to go. My only mod was to unplug the RLU at the connector and plug in a spare bridged connector I robbed off my old harness, which left all the bikes wiring unaltered so I could revert to the standard setup if need be.
    What I figured happens here is that The HID draws a lot of power when first lit up ( it does have a 30 or 40 amp fuse in its harness for a reason) and still draws a fair bit until normal operating temperatures are reached when the current draw tails off. That would explain why the RLU didn't play up initially. Only after about 10 minutes on the road did it make its presence felt.

BTW, a tip if your HID quits while on the road. Hasn't happened to me, but I've thought about the event, just in case. Carry a H4 bulb as a spare. In an emergency, pull the fuse from the HID harness, unplug the 3 pronged headlight connector from the harness and connect it to the H4 bulb you've just refitted in the headlight bucket and it'll work as normal to get you home without having to rip any bits out.
    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

I really don't know that much about HID kits mainly because my FZ1 has excellent stock lights but I have read that because of the amount of current that HID lights draw, the stock wiring should be used only as inputs to a relay system that then switches 12V directly sourced from the battery. I do know that with some of the early systems fuses were popping like popcorn and some stock wiring was turning pretty black as it fried. Another early warning I heard about was to stay away from the el'cheapo Chinese kits. Does any of that still apply to the kits available now?
      Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

If you live in the US, there's almost NO legal HID conversions, and certainly no inexpensive models. They're illegal in every state unless you have one of the very few DOT-compliant versions, and a few states are getting nasty about prosecuting people who have them.

The only motorcycle-legal systems I've ever seen were for 7" round headlights, you had to change the whole light (including the lens assembly and shell because these won't fit in a stock one), and cost over $300...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Another minor point: as most states require bikes to have a lit headlight constantly, the RLU will keep you legal if you only ride during the day, as in commuting.
          "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

However one of the failure modes of the RLU can kill your headlight with no warning light. Frankly just making sure your headlight is good does the same thing.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
            X