molybdenum disulphide paste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• molybdenum disulphide paste

My manual says to put this on the valve stems. Can someone educate me on what it is and does. I thought the cavity under the lifters was flooded with oil, or are we just talking about the lower portion of the stem that moves in and out of the combustion chamber?
    mack
    79 XS 1100 SF Special
    HERMES
    original owner
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
    SPICA
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
    IOTA
    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
    Frankford, Ont, Canada
    613-398-6186

It's the stem they're talking about. A little on the whole stem, not enogh to drip. Use engine oil, or if you're paranoid pick up a bottle of engine assembly pre-lube. Melling, Permatex and a few others make it.

Comment

Molybdenum disulfide bonds with metal, so even after the grease component has dried up it still provides lubrication. This is also the stuff you want to use on your drive shaft splines every 10k miles. Moly paste has a higher moly content than moly grease, and the more moly the better. Permatex makes a moly paste that's 60% moly - compared to 3% in most moly 'fortified' grease. It comes in an 8 oz container, with a little brush attached to the top - comes in real handy when it comes to getting the paste on the part instead of yourself. Here's a link to the good stuff.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I have tried for ever to find moly paste here in Canada . No one carries any moly paste just the grease and no dealer in the US will ship it to Canada.
        Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
        Molybdenum disulfide bonds with metal, so even after the grease component has dried up it still provides lubrication. This is also the stuff you want to use on your drive shaft splines every 10k miles. Moly paste has a higher moly content than moly grease, and the more moly the better. Permatex makes a moly paste that's 60% moly - compared to 3% in most moly 'fortified' grease. It comes in an 8 oz container, with a little brush attached to the top - comes in real handy when it comes to getting the paste on the part instead of yourself. Here's a link to the good stuff.
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
        Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Let me know where to find it and I'll add it as an option to the group valve buy.

BTW, I've only used the usual assembly lube when putting a head together or a little oil when I don't have that...

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Moly 60 paste can be had at the Honda dealer too. Use it on the splines of my ST1100 and of course on the Yammy splines.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
              I have tried for ever to find moly paste here in Canada . No one carries any moly paste just the grease and no dealer in the US will ship it to Canada.
              Hi Tinman,
              that link is to a Loctite product. NAPA stores sell most of the Loctite product line, have you tried there?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Let me know where to find it and I'll add it as an option to the group valve buy.
                If you follow the previous link, it will take you to one outfit that sells the moly paste. Reliable Paper has it at a cheaper per unit price, but there's a minimum order of 4. I don't know if either ships to Canada.
                Last edited by dbeardslee; 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Yes I have tried a few Napa store around my area. Neither of the two store I have tried knew what I wanted and have never seen it before .They try to sell that gold synthetic grease saying it the same stuff. I am in no rush to find it until then I will use the moly grease I have. Thanks anyway.
                  Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi Tinman,
                  that link is to a Loctite product. NAPA stores sell most of the Loctite product line, have you tried there?
                  BDF Special
                  80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

that link is to a Loctite product
                    Sorry about that - should have said loctite. I must have permatex on the brain.

Comment

Hey Guys - I printed off the example of the product from the link & walked it over to my local independant auto parts supply store across the street - it has the loctite part# on it - he looked it up & he can get it buts its $52.00 CDN for the 8oz. container. I think I'll stick to my regular moly grease I get off from him. So it is obtainable just a tad pricey - Dan
                      '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
                      1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
                      Rebuilt head, valves
                      TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
                      Tkat Fork Brace
                      T.C. Spade Fuse Box
                      Dyna Coils & wires
                      Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
                      ISO grips with stelleto ends
                      4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
                      Bridgestone Spitfires
                      Tuned by Tinman905
                      & a will to keep it.

Comment

bulk order

My sister in law lives in Ohio, she's coming up first week of April to lecture at the College here. Send me a PM and I'll have her bring up extra.
                        mack
                        79 XS 1100 SF Special
                        HERMES
                        original owner
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                        SPICA
                        http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                        IOTA
                        https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                        https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                        Frankford, Ont, Canada
                        613-398-6186

Comment

I just found a can , Gord Davenports auto parts has a supplier in Barrie and they will have it tomorrow for me. But it's $36.00 .
                          BDF Special

Comment

Check here, seems reasonable for US customers...

http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/blmoanse1.html

or

http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/blmoanse.html

...about a $1 an Oz.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I just checked my gun stuff and my bullet mold release spray is an aerosol
                              molybdenum coating. It's around 8 bucks a can from Midway Arms. For those that buy valves in the group buy, I'll spray the stems on request...

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X