Kerker 4into1 95$ A good deal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerker 4into1 95$ A good deal???

I was looking for a 4into1 for cheap and I found this (see photos) and it's 95$ + shipping. Does it worth it? Will it be possible to fix the dent?

What would tou do???

SEE PHOTOS HERE

Thanks!
    Last edited by Psychedelic_Max; 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM.

Although they look rough, they look solid. You can pull the dents if needed, but doubt you'll notice the difference without a dyno. Clean them up and high temp black paint.. or better yet, find someone with big enough oven, and high temp black powder coat, and they would look pretty sharp.

Those are getting hard to find, so even if you decide to not use them, I think you can clean them up a bit and easily get your money back on them.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

$95 canadian? That's like $200 american right now, isn't it? The pipes will clean up various ways, sandblast, paint, powdercoat, ect. The dents will probably match quite a few of the bikes on this site. (Well... atleast mine.)
      Get 'em If you want 'em and if not, share the link with someone else that would.
      Dan
      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Whats up. If your gonna buy those pipes then realize those dents are not easily removed by your average back yard mechanic. It seems easy, sounds easy, but is a real pain in the behind without having a metal shop. If your a descent welder/steel worker fine. I had to straighten out a dirt bike pipe and it blew me away. I have a wire feed welder and I admit I'm not the greatest but I'm not terrible either. I tried freezing them with ice to pop the dent out, pumped em full of air and heated the dent, nothing. I ended up having to cut the pipe apart and make an expansion tool to round it out from the inside then weld em back together. It's an ugly hack job, but it works!

From that experience I think I'll stay away from pipes that are bent. You should look around a bit longer. I think you can get a better deal from someone on here.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Junkyard pipes

I have to disagree,with those pipes. I found a set of mac 4-2 at the old bike barn that were almost immaculatefor 130$, and have seen one kerker on craigslist for 100$ brand new.If you take your time and look around i think youll find something better.

Comment

A dirt bike pipe is probably several times thinner metal than the steel on these. Just like pulling dents on a car, you could take it to a body shop, have a couple studs tack welded to the spot and pull them out for next to nothing. They won't be perfect, but if you just had to have it pulled out, you can. The one down side I see to this, is if the Kerker is a single or double walled pipe?

A MAC for $130.. is about right since it's only a little more than double that new. You'll get much better performance out of the Kerker though. If you find a Kerker new, or ANYTHING new for $100 on Craigslist that fits these bikes I suggest you buy it.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Yeah there are shops that can pull those dents and make em nice but after purchase price, paying to pull the dents and time and effort recoating your into those pipes for too much. I tend to be impatient and get into that stuff and take it from me, don't do it. Patience pays.
              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

Yes, but there are only a handful of people on this website that would take the time to go over every square inch, oh wait your in Canada, square centimeter of your bike and then give you sh_t because there is a dent in your headers. The choice is yours, but IMO, Kerkers are good pipes.
                Dan
                Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Just offering some advice. I wouldn't give him crap for having dented pipes, but they are not on his bike yet, so why put em on if he can get a better deal?

Comment

Originally posted by barberad View Post
                    Yes, but there are only a handful of people on this website that would take the time to go over every square inch, oh wait your in Canada, square centimeter of your bike and then give you sh_t because there is a dent in your headers. The choice is yours, but IMO, Kerkers are good pipes.
                    Dan

ahahah! Square centimeters!:P I'm a mechanic and I don't use any metric mesures. But that was funny.

If you guys don't think I would see any difference without a dyno I will buy it. I was thinking about wrapping it anyway with some exhaust wrap so it won'T show the dents. But I was also thinking about heating the dents to remove the chrome. then solder a nut on it and use a ''reverse hammer'' to pull the dents out. I have the ressources to fix it.

And I was wondering in headers spray paint works well on chrome or I would have to remove it all.

Comment

my Kerker set has worse dents and affects power on my 79 special in no way what so ever. Great pipes
                      XS11.Com resident Black Sheep

Comment

un-denting a pipe

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                        Whats up. If your gonna buy those pipes then realize those dents are not easily removed by your average back yard mechanic. It seems easy, sounds easy, but is a real pain in the behind without having a metal shop. If your a descent welder/steel worker fine. I had to straighten out a dirt bike pipe and it blew me away. I have a wire feed welder and I admit I'm not the greatest but I'm not terrible either. I tried freezing them with ice to pop the dent out, pumped em full of air and heated the dent, nothing. I ended up having to cut the pipe apart and make an expansion tool to round it out from the inside then weld em back together. It's an ugly hack job, but it works! - - -
                        Hi Dogg,
                        here's how. Turn up a steel egg that slips inside the pipe with a tapped hole in it.
                        (OK,to make this part you did need a "bro with lathe", the rest is just blacksmithing.)
                        Thread an eyebolt into the egg.
                        Attach a chain to the eyebolt.
                        Drop this into the pipe, have the chain just long enough to reach the other end.
                        Make a long eyebolt from threaded rod and attach it to the chain.
                        Slip a length of waterpipe over the long eyebolt so that it rests against the end of the pipe, a washer between may be needed. Put a thick washer at the other end of the pipe, spin a nut onto the long eyebolt, double-nut the very end and start wrenching the nut around to tension the chain.
                        When the egg hits the dent, take a torch to the dent and keep wrenching so the egg smears the dent back round again.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thats a nice trick. I considered something similar too that for the small bend section of my dirt bike pipe but those are just too weirdly shaped. If I ever have to straighten my pipes out on the XS though, now I know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychedelic_Max View Post
                            I was wondering in headers spray paint works well on chrome
                            Yes, it worked fine for me. Scuff the chrome first, no going back though.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Fred's idea wouldn't work if the Kerker is a double walled pipe. You couldn't get the metal on the 2nd layer hot enough. If it is, then even my idea of tack welding a rod to pull the dent out would leave the underlying 2nd layer still dented. It would help it cosmetically, but not functionally.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100