2 questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys,

Sorry for the lack of detail on the bike. Its a 78 xs11 special (or it used to be) when i got it the only thing on it was a very beat up seat, tank, and fenders. But you get what you pay for. Yes the side covers are all together gone, never had them. If one day i do get a set I'll surely be making a fiberglass mold and will post on here as soon as i make a set.

As for the tensioner question it has been answered thanks!

Here is a link to a post with the pictures i have of the old girl
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...251#post255251
    Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

Hey Freak,

I'm sure that bike is SPECIAL to you, but it's a 78E STANDARD, square headlights and gauges, axle on end of front forks, etc.!

The Specials didn't start till '79, Round headlight, gauges, leading axle forks, etc.! Looks good though! A search for Choppers, or bobbers will probably reveal photos...I remember posting some of a fellows chopper a few weeks ago with a "Springer....err....Girder style front forks, he had made his own sidecovers out of plate!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Freak,

I'm sure that bike is SPECIAL to you, but it's a 78E STANDARD, square headlights and gauges, axle on end of front forks, etc.!

The Specials didn't start till '79, Round headlight, gauges, leading axle forks, etc.! Looks good though! A search for Choppers, or bobbers will probably reveal photos...I remember posting some of a fellows chopper a few weeks ago with a "Springer....err....Girder style front forks, he had made his own sidecovers out of plate!

T.C.
        You're probably right, I'm just going off the little bit of information i got when i got the bike after it had been molested half to death. I was told that it was the full dresser once upon a time. So the info I'm going on is kinda sketch. could be a 78 standard for all I know it could be a 79 special. I'm sure you guys know better than i do. All i know is its a blast to ride and I'm trying to bring it back into some kind of glory.
        Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
          Be sure to have adaquate ventilation.
          I wish I had heeded this advice...

I got a left sidecover, with the very tip of the latch broken off. So, I decided to try this technique. I first tried making a bit of a form around the part, then filling it with baking soda. I then dripped superglue into the pile. That didn't work. All I ended up with was a hard wad that pulled of the side cover with the form.

So, I dit it one drop at a time. I just dripped it onto the spot where the missing piece used to be, and dusted each drop with baking soda. I slowly built up the ball to something larger than the part I wanted to create. It worked rather well!

I let it dry for a few hours, just to be on the safe side, but for that whole time, all I could smell was superglue fumes in my nose! After it dried, I took a die grinder and a cut-off wheel to the outside edges to make it flat, then a grinding wheel for the finishing touches. It worked perfectly, and is solid as a rock! I now have a locking left side cover!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
            ... all I could smell was superglue fumes in my nose! After it dried, I took a die grinder and a cut-off wheel to the outside edges to make it flat, then a grinding wheel for the finishing touches.
            Man, that's gotta hurt!
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot View Post
              Man, that's gotta hurt!
              Yep, but now I look like Michael Jackson!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                So, I dit it one drop at a time. I just dripped it onto the spot where the missing piece used to be, and dusted each drop with baking soda. I slowly built up the ball to something larger than the part I wanted to create. It worked rather well!

I let it dry for a few hours, just to be on the safe side, but for that whole time, all I could smell was superglue fumes in my nose! After it dried, I took a die grinder and a cut-off wheel to the outside edges to make it flat, then a grinding wheel for the finishing touches. It worked perfectly, and is solid as a rock! I now have a locking left side cover!
                I did the same thing Fri night and then ground it down sat morning. Worked great. Now I too have a locking side cover finally. I had previously tried to build it up with JBWeld, but that wouldn't hold to it. This has bonded quite well, and now after over a year, I can get rid of that hokey mini bungee cord that was holding it on when I got it.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                X