2 questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions...

Hey guys, can't say enough how helpful this forum has been for me (30 year old bikes force you to learn)

Anyway my 2 questions...

Question 1;
    As i understand it the chain tensioner in the front of the engine is supposed to be able to be pushed in. Well the rubber on mine is rock hard.
    Does anyone know of anything i can use on it to restore the rubber? The spring, slide and plastic pad on the inside are still good. If i can't restore the rubber will it still work since the spring will still put tension on the chain?

Question 2;
    As we all know the hardest part to find for these bikes is the side covers, unless you have an arm and a leg to pay for them (damn you supply and demand) has any one made or know how to make something to replace the stock side covers?

The bike is finally starting to look as good as it can before the full tear down and paint. I just can't get a decent side cover

Thanks again guys
    Tony
    Tony

78 xs11 aftermarket 4-2 HD mufflers, whats left of it is stock. A work in progress for sure.

Not quite understanding question #1. If you are simply meaning the rubber stopper on the end of the outside of the adjuster, it is simply a plastic/rubber coated metal stopper to plug the hole from the machining process when the adjuster was made. You shouldn't be able to push this in.

Someone else can chime in on #2, but you may be SOL.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by freak_leg View Post
      Question 2;
      As we all know the hardest part to find for these bikes is the side covers, unless you have an arm and a leg to pay for them (damn you supply and demand) has any one made or know how to make something to replace the stock side covers?

Thanks again guys
      Tony
      When the price gets up to both legs and an arm, and your firstborn, then somebody will start reproducing them.....

I've seen a few made out of sheetmetal, diamond-plate al, and what have you, but they tend to look homemade.

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Looks like you need a manual to help you adjust your cam chain tensioner. CatatonicBug has kindly posted the Clymers manual as a download here:

http://www.ringler.us/xs1100/YamXS1100Manfull.pdf
        Dave
        1979 XS1100SF Special

Comment

Both manuals, and a few other things too, if you like to read!

I've seen at least one person make side covers out of leather triangles, snapped to the frame. They pop up now and then, when someone is parting out a perfectly good bike. But, yeah, they can get pricey.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

I think your talking about the rubber end on the tensioner that goes inside the engine . It's fused to the end of the spring loaded rod. If that is the one your talking about I would not worry about it. I have a NOS one here and the rubber on it is pretty hard right out of the package. As long as it is not coming apart it's good to go.
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Question #1, sounds like the others have you covered on that one.

Question #2, it would be VERY helpful if you put the year and model of bike you have in your signature, or even fill it in in your profile. Depending on what year and model it will effect availability.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

I don't think it would be all that difficult to make up fiberglass covers if you have a decent set for a pattern.

Maybe a bidniz opportunity.........
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Do you still have the original cover, or is it gone completley?. If you still have it and the broken leg (it is the left one your talking about, right?) they can be re-attached. This is mine.

If they're gone all together then you're in a jam. I was playing around with carbon fibre a while ago but wasnt very successful and didnt really have the time to perfect it. Someone else here was doing something as well but I cant remember who. Try a search for Side Covers in the threads.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by freak_leg View Post
                    - - - the hardest part to find for these bikes is the side covers, unless you have an arm and a leg to pay for them (damn you supply and demand) has any one made or know how to make something to replace the stock side covers?

The bike is finally starting to look as good as it can before the full tear down and paint. I just can't get a decent side cover - - -
                    Hi Tony,
                    is it that your side covers are all beaten up or are they entirely missing?
                    Side covers are model-specific but the "wrong" ones can be made to work with some ingenuity and a Dremel tool.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Personally I'm still trying to fix the latch part on mine (the only thing wrong with it). Tried JB-Stick last night, but it didn't adhere well. So I'm back to the drawing board to try and find the right material. It's just the actual latch part that's broken off on mine, so I just need to build that back up. I may see if I can find some ABS and some ABS glue and see if I can build it up and then file it back to where it needs to be.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I was reading around here last night about someone using thin super glue and mixing in baking soda to make a paste. Then they just molded it to the shape they needed, and could sand and paint it.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold
                        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                        -H. Ford

Comment

I've done this to support some engineering projects. The superglue will set almost as fast as you hit it with the soda. If you sort of feed the soda onto the glue you can build it up like a sand castle. If you can lay your hands on some ceramic powder and use it in place of the place of the soda, it will be really tough. Sets up pretty darn hard.

Rodger
                          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

you can't mold it

It sets FAST! Just put the soda where you want and use the real thin stuff. A little wire mesh and you have a better than new part.
                            '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                            Original except:
                            120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                            4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                            Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                            All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                            Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Btw

Be sure to have adaquate ventilation.
                              '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                              Original except:
                              120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                              4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                              Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                              All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                              Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Working...
                              X