No announcement yet.

Picked up another XS11...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Was hoping to ride it up to MOM this year.

BTW How are you doing? That seat work out ok ?
    Richard

Comment

Hi Richard, Great looking steed You've put together there. One question. I'm curios as to how hot do the bottom of your hardbags get as I will be installing the same setup on my '80G? My pipes are just about the same length as Yours and I was thinking about an aluminum insulator plate affixed to the underside of the hardbags if necessary.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Something I didn't check when I got it to work that day.The pipes on this 81 Venturer end just in front of the rear axle. On my 80G they go just to the rear of the final drive. I suppose if you sat there idling for a while they might heat up, while moving shouldn't be a problem. My bags have another hard plastic frame it mounts to underneath it. Adds a bit of insulation there which should help to keep the beer cold .
        Richard

Comment

Richard ...what a great bike you have found! Venturers are rare and in my mind the most desireable of the XS11s'. I have been looking for one for over a year. Graet find and a great job bringing back to life!
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey Richard, I'm healing up pretty good. Everyday things I thouhgt I could not do two weeks ago I do effortlessly. So I am learning to adapt to life with one arm and one leg for a while. In a month or so I should get the other ones back.

That seat worked out great!! It fits perfectly and looks awesome on the bike. As soon as I can get the bolt I snapped off repaired it will be ready to find a new owner. I think at this point I will just drop a couple hundred off the price and let the next owner paint the tank.

Then it is on to dismantling Thunderstruck to determine the extent of the damage.

Just how these things go, always something to fix, good thing I like fixing them. Kinda like the exploding head on your Venturer.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
              Hi Richard, Great looking steed You've put together there. One question. I'm curios as to how hot do the bottom of your hardbags get as I will be installing the same setup on my '80G? My pipes are just about the same length as Yours and I was thinking about an aluminum insulator plate affixed to the underside of the hardbags if necessary.
              I have a similar set on my 'F' and never had a heat problem with the bags, seemed like they got more heat from being in direct sun all day than the exhaust.

Sorry to hear about your engine problem Rich, hope the next engine is problem free!
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

"Something I didn't check when I got it to work that day.The pipes on this 81 Venturer end just in front of the rear axle. On my 80G they go just to the rear of the final drive. I suppose if you sat there idling for a while they might heat up, while moving shouldn't be a problem. My bags have another hard plastic frame it mounts to underneath it. Adds a bit of insulation there which should help to keep the beer cold ."

Thanks, looks like You got all Your ducks in a row

"I have a similar set on my 'F' and never had a heat problem with the bags, seemed like they got more heat from being in direct sun all day than the exhaust."

That's good info and time saved on fabbing heat shields will be used to ...well...fabbing something else for another project/obsession
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                  ...My bags have another hard plastic frame it mounts to underneath it. Adds a bit of insulation there which should help to keep the beer cold .
                  Just put the bag of charcoal in that side if you have a 4-1. A 12 lb bad fits perfect
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Finally finished reconditioning the replacement head for it last weekend. Took the time last night to pull the damaged head off of it. What I found kind of disturbed me. #4 exhaust shim bucket is stuck so until I cut it out I wont know exactly what failed. But When I removed #2 exhaust shim bucket both valve springs were broken and the valve wont come through the valve guide. Piston #2 & #4 will get a closer inspection tonight.

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                    Had a bit of a mishap on the way home from work. 55miles on it and a mile from home.
                    It appears #4 exhaust shim bucket overheated and hung, allowing the shim enough clearance to pop out after hearing the valve hit and be driven through the front of the head...
                    I have another head that should be here this week.

Probably be riding the special up to MOM.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                    X