misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
    This will also show up on a compression test as a low cyl.
    worth every penny?
    [QUOTE=geniusloerts; even the compression is good its higher than all the rest..... QUOTE]

Hate to argue with a moderator but-----------------

Comment

OK, so don't!! We can't read and retain EVERYTHING! We try, but a lot of us on this board are trying......
      I still think he may have a problem with the valves. IF it's higher, it may have a carbon buildup that is part of the problem!
      Like everyone else here, I'm just trying to think things out.........
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

OK, so don't!! We can't read and retain EVERYTHING! We try, but a lot of us on this board are trying......
        I still think he may have a problem with the valves. IF it's higher, it may have a carbon buildup that is part of the problem!
        Like everyone else here, I'm just trying to think things out.........
        Ok Ray--- relax --- take a deeeep breath. Got one of those oxygen tanks handy?

EASY----EASY.

Just bringing that to your attention.

Comment

OK, since no one wants to try something else, it's my turn!
          Check the valve clearance and timing chain tension. The valves on the XS1100 CLOSE after a while. You may not have the valve fully closed, so it can't fire properly. This will also show up on a compression test as a low cyl.
          Again, we don't have all the facts, how many miles since the last valve check, etc.
          Just my $0.02, and worth every penny!
          Chain tension adjusted per spec. Valves checked 100 miles ago during engine out 2nd gear repair. Compression checks at 120#. 145# with oil in cyl. to eliminate bad valve possibility.
          Papaloerts
          Martin
          (papaloerts)
          "THE FLEET"
          '78 xs11 Standard (restoring)
          '79 xs11 Special (restoring)
          '79 xs11 Special (really Cody's bike)
          '80 xs11 Standard (really Casey's Frankenbike)
          '81 xs11 Special (donor bike)
          '01 xvs1100 Custom
          '07 xvs1300 Touring sans bags
          '74 RD200 (restored)

Comment

You know, I had one cylinder that ran really rich right after I cleaned my carbs. I tried all the tricks to isolate it. tried changing mixture screw by as much as two turns and no change. Tried changing plug wires around, problem stayed on no 1 cylinder.

Anyway, in the end, when cleaning the carbs I had pulled out the needle valve and then reassmebled it in the wrong order, spring on bottom instead of top, but only on the one cylinder. Fixed that and she runs like a top ever since.

Yeah, not the likely suspect, but a suspect none the less.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
              You know, I had one cylinder that ran really rich right after I cleaned my carbs. I tried all the tricks to isolate it. tried changing mixture screw by as much as two turns and no change. Tried changing plug wires around, problem stayed on no 1 cylinder.

Anyway, in the end, when cleaning the carbs I had pulled out the needle valve and then reassmebled it in the wrong order, spring on bottom instead of top, but only on the one cylinder. Fixed that and she runs like a top ever since.

Yeah, not the likely suspect, but a suspect none the less.
              Hey..... I respect all suggestions. I've been doing this for a while, so I have done a lot of the things suggested, but I do welcome the brainstorming. Sometimes another perspective on something I may have tried will be the answer. The bike has run fantastic up till a few days ago. Nothing happened, nothing was done or adjusted. It just all of a sudden, in the middle of a tank of gas during a 40 mile ride, started to run rough and here we are.
              Please keep the ideas coming. I appreciate them all.
              Papaloerts

By the way...... I'm Geniusloerts and Cloerts' (on this forum) Dad. I do the re-build and restore work on my son's xs11's along with them in my shop. Have my own xvs1100, xvs1300 and a shop full of my son's xs11's at the moment.
              Happy to meet you all.
              Last edited by ridingagn; 11-11-2009, 11:19 PM.
              Martin
              (papaloerts)
              "THE FLEET"
              '01 xvs1100 Custom
              '74 RD200 (restored)

Comment

OK so you switched plug wires and tested temps and the misfire stays with no 4 cylinder correct? You have good compression and valve clearances on no 4 correct? The only thing left is carburationm but it is really rare for carburation to go south like that so instantly.

Have you swapped the actual plugs around to see if that changes it?

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  OK so you switched plug wires and tested temps and the misfire stays with no 4 cylinder correct? You have good compression and valve clearances on no 4 correct? The only thing left is carburationm but it is really rare for carburation to go south like that so instantly.

Have you swapped the actual plugs around to see if that changes it?
                  I agree...... the problem acts electrical, but diagnosis is pointing to carb#4 float.
                  I methodically swapped the plugs and wires and caps.
                  Did not follow plug, did not follow wire, did not follow cap.
                  Swapped out coil with a within-spec 1/4 stock coil. No change.
                  Used spark indicator tool on all 4 cyl's and the spark is same color / intensity on all 4. Spark on cyl 4 is strong and blue and steady when 5th pulg is grounded to engine case. Only indication there is a problem is rough running, puff back through carb and low temp on header pipe.
                  Will pull carb bank in morning.
                  Martin
                  Martin
                  (papaloerts)
                  "THE FLEET"
                  '01 xvs1100 Custom
                  '74 RD200 (restored)

Comment

it really sounds like a fuel problem to me from what I have heard here.

if you have a spray can of carb cleaner or brake cleaner try spraying a little in the vacuum port on the boot of that cyl while it's idling and see if that makes any difference.

Comment

I had a somewhat similar experience when a jet I had installed backed out. It affected only the one cylinder. I somehow had not tightened the jet in its place correctly. It ran fine for a while and all of a sudden it started acting like what you are describing. It had backed itself almost completely out. JAT
                      2-79 XS1100 SF
                      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

If you have a colortune as it sounds, what did the flame look like in no 4 when you put the plug in there? Sounds like your saying you have good spark on no 4 when grounded with another plug. Could still be a break in a plug wire, only shows when twisted just the way it is when installed?? (yeah reaching a bit again.)

Can't hurt to pull the carbs and have a look.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

It just sounds like the float valve got some crud in it and it's not letting the needle seat. If the carbs have brass floats, they do on a rare occasion develop pinholes, but it's not a common thing. If they are neoprene, you can rule that out.

I also had a pilot jet come out and it ran terrible.. but it ran terrible all the time, not just occasionally. By swapping the wires and it still ran bad on that cylinder but #1 still ran good, I'd rule the electrical out for now and concentrate on the carb. OR... make one of the geniuses concentrate on his carb! lol.

You never did say... Does the bike have an octopus on the carbs?

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by ridingagn View Post
                            The bike has run fantastic up till a few days ago. Nothing happened, nothing was done or adjusted. It just all of a sudden, in the middle of a tank of gas during a 40 mile ride, started to run rough and here we are.
                            Trbig, not to question your abilities, as I am sure they far surpass mine but I dont read where he says it runs bad occasionally. The sudden loosening of the pilot jet on #4 could result in it running very rich and thus cooler temps on the pipe. I know mine ran like a bag of shat until I found it and tightened it back up.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

You could be right, I was maybe misreading the

I still have the random backfire through the carb...

# 4 puffs back through carb randomly at idle, backfires randomly at 3,000 rpm
                              I guess that doesn't mean it isn't running rough all the time. BUT.. I have lost a pilot jet and the cylinder wouldn't run at all. It was simply too much fuel and not enough air to get a combustion and the pipe was cool to the touch.

It's all a guess until he pulls the carbs.

Tod
                              Last edited by trbig; 11-12-2009, 10:00 AM.
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Something else to chew on...

# 4 header idles at 105 degrees, #1,2,3 idle in 140 range.
                                When I check my header pipes using an infrared thermometer I get a reading that usually runs between 220 and 250 degrees F, depending on the ambient temp. I've checked several others using the same method, and this seems to be the normal operating range. If the numbers in the quote are correct (and in Fahrenheit) it seems like they're all running cool. Just throwing it out there.
                                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                                X