misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misfire

#4 on the frakinbike is having misfire problems. the exaust pipe temp is not getting as hot as the others its around 109 degrees the others are twice that. the carb is clean, the plug is working, the coil checks out, even the compression is good its higher than all the rest..... what is going on? If i unplug the #4 wire it almost kills the engine, but why isnt that cylnder not getting as hot as the others? when you accelerate the motor number four starts to pop and back fire.
    1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

When is the last time you synced your carbs? Also, on pulling the plug wire, my understanding of how the coils work on these things is that the electrical pulse makes a circuit from one coil wire to the other so if you just pull the wire you're probably killing two cylinders unless you ground it to the engine with a plug in it. Might check the resistance on your #4 cap too. Just some thoughts.
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I'm with Doug, it is either carb related, or the wire/cap to no 4 has a short of some sort. Having one plug wire loose will cause all kinds of issues with rough running DAMHIK. It definitely needs both plugged in.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

geniusloerts,

Forgive me, but I don't recall the story on the Frankinbike...

Is it a mix of years & parts? Hence the name?

It might help to know a little more...

But, the previous advice sure sounds like a good place to start, too.

If the problem's still unresolved after checking those things, give us a few more details.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

did the ground test with a 5th plug and it didnt make a diffrence still ran the same.

checked the pick up wires, there didnt apear to be any loose connections or broken/cracked wire.

I still have the random backfire through the carb...

as far as being a frankin bike i think it is just body parts...this is my brothers bike, i remember him saying that it was put together from parts, but im not sure about the electronics and motor/ carbs
          -Pod Filters
          -4-1 pipe
          -larger jets for carbs

Comment

And the last time you synced was...? Also, have you run the resistance tests on your ignition coils and plug caps? I didn't see any mention of it in your signature, so I'm assuming your running the stock coils and wires.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

I'm not sure the last time my brother did a sync, the last time he did do it, it was just a bench sync.

we did check the coils and they are fine.
              -Pod Filters
              -4-1 pipe
              -larger jets for carbs

Comment

It sound slike #4 is flooding out to me. And, although a bench synch should get it close enough to run to be able to properly synch it, I wouldn't stick with only that. All the cylinders draw differently.

So, even though the carb may be clean, you may need to check the float height and that the float valve is seating. If the bike has an octo that is working, you won't know if you have a bad float valve with the bike off. Even possibly a sinking float depending on carb year.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Sounds like it's time to buy your brother some beer and get him back over with a sync guage. A proper sync is something that IMHO should be done at least annually. One of the symptoms you can get with out of sync carbs is backfiring through the carbs. I'm in no way disagreeing with Tod - he may be right. I just like to do the easiest stuff first .

Comment

I'll start by saying I'm working on the bike with geniusloerts. It's easier for me to chime in here than to have him pass along what I ask while he's working on other stuff.
                    Here's more details.

The bike was running perfect (of course, don't they all?)
                    The bike started running badly and would die when hot unless choke was on first stage
                    Drained tank, put in fresh gas and 1/3 can Sea Foam. Ran for 30 miles.
                    #4 plug was fluffy black, all others light tan
                    4 new stock plugs installed.
                    1/4 coil tested high ohms on primary and secondary, so it was changed out with a spare 1/4 coil that is within spec.
                    #1 and #4 plug wires switched.... still runs rough.
                    # 4 header idles at 105 degrees, #1,2,3 idle in 140 range.
                    # 4 puffs back through carb randomly at idle, backfires randomly at 3,000 rpm
                    WD 40 check indicated no intake leaks.

At this point I'm leaning toward sunk #4 float, although there is no indication of excess gas (overflow, dripping, smell etc.)
                    Help!
                    Martin
                    (papaloerts)
                    "THE FLEET"
                    '78 xs11 Standard (restoring)
                    '79 xs11 Special (restoring)
                    '79 xs11 Special (really Cody's bike)
                    '80 xs11 Standard (really Casey's Frankenbike)
                    '81 xs11 Special (donor bike)
                    '01 xvs1100 Custom
                    '07 xvs1300 Touring sans bags
                    '74 RD200 (restored)

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                      Sounds like it's time to buy your brother some beer and get him back over with a sync guage. A proper sync is something that IMHO should be done at least annually. One of the symptoms you can get with out of sync carbs is backfiring through the carbs. I'm in no way disagreeing with Tod - he may be right. I just like to do the easiest stuff first .
                      You are probably right. I have a quad sync, so I'll do that before I remove the carbs again to check floats.
                      Thanks,
                      The Dad
                      Martin
                      (papaloerts)
                      "THE FLEET"
                      '01 xvs1100 Custom
                      '74 RD200 (restored)

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee View Post
                        Okay.... I synced carbs per Clymar. All four reading exactly 12hg at 1000 rpm.
                        Bike still idles rough, like on 3 cyls and stumbles on accl. Pops back through carb #4 randomly and especially when giving throttle.
                        No apparent change. After sync running for about 4 mins at 1,000 with spikes to 3,000rpm, headers #1,2,3,are running at 210 degrees, #4 is at 110 degrees.
                        There is no top end noise, no shim clatter, ect.
                        All agree float check is next?
                        Thanks again guys for all the help. We'll get this sooner or later.
                        Papaloerts
                        Martin
                        (papaloerts)
                        "THE FLEET"
                        '01 xvs1100 Custom
                        '74 RD200 (restored)

Comment

Originally posted by ridingagn View Post
                          Okay.... I synced carbs per Clymar. All four reading exactly 12hg at 1000 rpm.
                          Bike still idles rough, like on 3 cyls and stumbles on accl. Pops back through carb #4 randomly and especially when giving throttle.
                          No apparent change. After sync running for about 4 mins at 1,000 with spikes to 3,000rpm, headers #1,2,3,are running at 210 degrees, #4 is at 110 degrees.
                          There is no top end noise, no shim clatter, ect.
                          All agree float check is next?
                          Thanks again guys for all the help. We'll get this sooner or later.
                          Papaloerts
                          Check the float level for sure, but if it's # 4 you should be able to pull the bowl without removing the rack. Check the pilot jet if you can get it removed because if its missing at idle for lack of fuel either the pilot jet is plugged or you have a broken off idle mixture screw tip.

$.02

Comment

Float level and operation, yes. Check it.
                            Low speed circuit. More probable.
                            Remember on these carbs, that there are 2 itty-bitty tubes(?) in the roof
                            of the carb bodies. There are three, but one is for choke. (I think)
                            Real easy for one of these to be clogged a bit. With the modern gas(crap)
                            every little bit matters.
                            Anyway, make sure the entire low-speed circuit is clean.
                            John
                            Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
                            '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
                            '78 CB750F ( The F)
                            '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
                            New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
                            Then: '76 CB550K
                            '78 CB750F
                            '84 VF1100S
                            And still Looking!

Comment

OK, since no one wants to try something else, it's my turn!
                              Check the valve clearance and timing chain tension. The valves on the XS1100 CLOSE after a while. You may not have the valve fully closed, so it can't fire properly. This will also show up on a compression test as a low cyl.
                              Again, we don't have all the facts, how many miles since the last valve check, etc.
                              Just my $0.02, and worth every penny!
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X