No announcement yet.

Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have emailled the sales team asking the question. i'll post the response when i get one. May not be for a couple of weeks though, not sure if they shut down over the holiday season.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

rings

Thanks Crazcnuk you hit the jackpot there for all of us XS1100 owners that need new rings and you couldn't have made it easier for us. Thanks again for going to all the trouble and posting the info .
      BDF Special
      80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
      Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Comment

Sorry my bad.I misread that post about the hyundai rings.It does look like they fit a honda.
        At least we have the info to contact them.

b.walker5, if they do need rings and a piston for reference, I have the old ones on hand as I just installed 1st oversize rings on mine today.I also replaced one piston too, hence the extra piston.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by BossMaverick View Post
          XSokie, from my understanding, that was a qoute from a Honda forum regarding rings for a Honda bike, not the XS1100.
          Yup, I knew that. I thought rman was looking for that particular post for some reason though.

Just pointing it out.

Comment

No problem, I can use the info too, as I recently had to MAKE some rings fit. It would certainly be nice to be able to get rings that fit.

I assume, I know I know, that if they have std rings that fit, then oversize will be available as well.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

This just in...

First response from Hastings

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your interest in Hastings. I have forwarded your email to our applications engineering team and they will contact you on Monday.

Regards,
              Bob

ROBERT M. KOLLAR
              Vice President of Customer Satisfaction
              Hastings Manufacturing Company, LLC
              325 N. Hanover St., Hastings, MI 49058 USA
              Direct Phone: 269-945-1054
              Mobile 616-818-9491
              Tarzan, dont lose that piston. We may need it next week.

Watch this space for more...
              Last edited by b.walker5; 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Step 2..

Todays reply...

Happy New Year Brian~
                I only list piston rings for a few of the Yamaha Marine applications. If you could provide me with the bore size and groove width and depth information I will check our inventory to see if we have rings to fit your application!

Awaiting your response!
                Lisa

Lisa M. Townsend
                Customer Technical Support Rep.
                325 N. Hanover St.
                Hastings MI, 49058 USA
                I can send her the relevant pages from the manual that give the bore and piston diameters, piston to bore clearances, end gap and side clearances but I dont have ring width and groove depth. Anyone. ??

Comment

I will measure the rings.Hopefully tonight.
                  I'll post what I find.
                  80 SG XS1100
                  14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

A Thing About Rings

Rings for a stock bore XS in the 71.5 mm size are available from Yamaha.

As of today, 1-5-10 they cost $78.00 per piston.

If the cylinder bores are in good shape, all you need to do is have them honed by a good shop who uses a Sunnen automatic wet hone or equivelent and you are good to go but they should be checked with a dial bore guage per the shop manual for taper and so forth after you get them back from the shop.

I have found that the cylinder bore liners in these things wear very little unless someone got the motor too hot or somebody screwed up when doing a ring job and scratched up the bores.

You can also use a barrel hone to deglaze a used bore but because the top rings are chrome faced stainless with a stainless oil ring this method will require a long break in procedule before the rings take a seat and seal up and sometimes they never do.

A stock XS piston uses a .047 chrome faced stainless top ring, a .059 taper faced cast iron 2nd. ring and a .109 three piece standard tension oil ring.

The numbers listed are not metric sizes but are numbers used by Wiseco to identify various ring sets.

The oil ring is demensionally (.109) the same as the rings found in the Wiseco big bore kits however the Wiseco oil rings are low tension which is good for a little more power because they have less drag.

Several companies make rings that are applicable in size and material for a 71.5 mm bore XS with stock sleeves and the ring material is very important because all materials are not compatable with cast iron liners.

I always adhere to the KISS method, keep it simple stupid and the stock Yamaha ring set is the way to go for a stock bore XS with maybe a low tension oil ring from Wiseco but of course that trick ring would be an additional expense.

Happy ringing.

Dan
                    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Thanks Don.

I have emailled Hastings with the measurements contained in this recent post

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ngs#post211741

Hopefully they will have something a little cheaper than Yamaha pricing, and have oversizes as well. Anything from the dealers in this neck of the woods is priced like it's gold plated, and i'm not a gold buyer.

Comment

The Word from Hastings

This is the latest reply from Lisa....

Brian~
                        I have top and second groove rings available in the dimensions you require, but the .108 oil rings are not in our line--the closest I can get you is a set # 2c4451020 which includes a 1.2mm top ring, a 1.5mm second ring and a 3.0mm (.118) oil ring. If there is a way to measure a piston groove (it should measure about .120 to accomodate the oil assembly) or if you can widen the oil groove slightly- the set I mentioned would be great for you.
                        If there is anything else I can do to help, feel free to contact me again!

Thanks for choosing Hastings!
                        Lisa
                        What we need now is for someone to accurately measure and post the oil ring groove size to see if we can use them. I have also asked her about oversizes and will post her reply when I get it.

Comment

With both my digital micrometer and my vernier caliper on a spare piston, I call it 0.110".
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

My spare piston measures
                            oil ring groove = .113
                            2nd ring groove= .064
                            1st ring groove= .056
                            I might have switch 1st and 2nd measurements.I measured in the garage.
                            By the time I got to the house I didn't remember which way I measured.I just
                            have the #'s i wrote down.And it's colder than a well diggers a$$ out there,so I don't want to go out again.lol
                            80 SG XS1100
                            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

My spare piston measures
                              oil ring groove = .113
                              2nd ring groove= .064
                              1st ring groove= .056
                              I might have switch 1st and 2nd measurements.I measured in the garage.
                              By the time I got to the house I didn't remember which way I measured.I just
                              have the #'s i wrote down.And it's colder than a well diggers a$$ out there,so I don't want to go out again.lol

BTW- It wouldn't be too difficult to cut the oil groove bigger on a lathe.

I just wish I hadn't just made a set over 1st oversize fit mine,I would have rather used a stock size ring set.And i installed the pistons last weekend.
                              So hopefully the rings i got will seal ok.
                              Rick
                              80 SG XS1100
                              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Tarzan's right, any good machine shop should be able to cut the groove a little wider, (and the really clever should be able to it with a hacksaw blade and some emery tape , after all we're only talking .25mm) but it would depend on the cost of rings and the cost of turning against the cost of OEM rings before deciding if it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X