No announcement yet.

Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mulies here. Firearm season is Nov. 15-30 no matter what day it starts. There is also bow, muzzle loader and a few special others but I/we only have 2 weeks to shoot one with a centerfire firearm. Legally anyway. That's why the world stops those two weeks.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

LOL! How did we go from hunting rings to hunting racks and fins?

Comment

ALWAYS hunting a good rack to look at, Randy...

I must confess to the derailment.. sorry.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Did we get a confirmation?

Are they only open on weekdays or would someone be there on a weekend? I am in Midland, MI to close enough to make it there and I do have a set of new rings sitting on the shelf. Any contact name there?
          Let me know,
          Scott
          I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

1-800-776-1088

Hastings Manufacturing
            Company, LLC
            325 North Hanover Street.
            Hastings, Michigan 49058

Phone (269) 945-2491
            Fax (269) 945-4667

I just sent in a request for more information on who to talk to etc.
            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey guys, I'm about 20min's from hastings a few times a week but I don't have a piston, rings, or the specs to take into them. If someone wanted to send me them I could take em in and then send them back....
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

This is the post from the DOHC Honda Forums:

"Hey guys, you might remember my quest for new piston rings. Honda is NLA. Someone on the forum recommended http://www.hastingsmfg.com/. I called them and asked if I could just send them a piston with the original rings still on it so they can get all the proper measurements. Lisa called today. Said she has them in stock, part number is 130831. Get this, she said they cross reference to an 2005-2008 hyundai 1100cc engine! So they have them on the shelf. So I ordered me a new set of rings for a total price of $68.49 for all four cylinders ring set and shipping my old piston back to me. I couldn't ask for better service either, she was really cool and helpful. Anyway, just wanted to post this so others can stumble on the info."
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

1st oversize piston rings

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                  No, it doesn't smoke, but ot uses a liter every 500-1000kms
                  Hi Chaps, sorry for the mega late reply but my 1981 MNS was burning a little oil last year it could only be noticed on the overun, (when going down the gears and then giving it a gob full) some smoke came from the exhausts for a quick burst then cleared not real bad but i decided to change the oil control seals on the valve stems.
                  However, i ended up stripping down the complete top end and found that the oil control rails were very limp in the cylinders, so i took a chance and managed to get 4x sets of 1st oversize rings (0.25mm genuine yamaha) and used a dremel to grind one end of each ring to give a gap of .006" to .010" on each of the rings in all cylinders, the only old part i used was the rail spacer,
                  rebuilt the engine after grinding in all valves and fitted new Vitox oil control seals.
                  No more smoke and no more loss of oil right from the moment it started, so i do not understand the problem with filing in the oil control rails as i am sure these were the main reason for my engine burning oil.
                  Regards, Steve in England
                  SJW

Comment

Id anyone keeping some form of a list of cross-referenced parts? I would really like to get my hands on a list like that.

If anyone has it, please let me know
                    '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
                    1196 Big Bore
                    4-1 Cowley exhaust
                    750FD Conversion
                    Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
                    Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
                    BMX footpegs
                    Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
                    GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
                    Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Anyone send in a set of rings yet? If so, what were the results?
                      1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
                      Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                      850 FD
                      Fork Brace
                      Progressive Front Springs
                      Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
                      Oil Cooler
                      Throttle Lock
                      Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

Hey BossMaverick,
                        Look up four posts from this one and there is a response with all info to get
                        stock rings.Apparently they are for a 05 - 08 hyundai 1100cc motor.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                          Hey BossMaverick,
                          Look up four posts from this one and there is a response with all info to get
                          stock rings.Apparently they are for a 05 - 08 hyundai 1100cc motor.
                          Cant find it, maybe I am blind today, topic title or link would be nice, thanks
                          Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
                          Owner of:
                          1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
                          140 mains
                          45 pilot jets
                          Floats at 24mm
                          Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

Originally posted by rman View Post
                            Cant find it, maybe I am blind today, topic title or link would be nice, thanks
                            Here it is;

This is the post from the DOHC Honda Forums:

"Hey guys, you might remember my quest for new piston rings. Honda is NLA. Someone on the forum recommended http://www.hastingsmfg.com/. I called them and asked if I could just send them a piston with the original rings still on it so they can get all the proper measurements. Lisa called today. Said she has them in stock, part number is 130831. Get this, she said they cross reference to an 2005-2008 hyundai 1100cc engine! So they have them on the shelf. So I ordered me a new set of rings for a total price of $68.49 for all four cylinders ring set and shipping my old piston back to me. I couldn't ask for better service either, she was really cool and helpful. Anyway, just wanted to post this so others can stumble on the info."

Comment

????

Think you might have missed the bit about them being for a Honda, and unless the Bore, Stroke and Ring Width is the same as ours, they wont work.
                              1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                              2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

XSokie, from my understanding, that was a qoute from a Honda forum regarding rings for a Honda bike, not the XS1100.
                                1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
                                Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
                                850 FD
                                Fork Brace
                                Progressive Front Springs
                                Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
                                Oil Cooler
                                Throttle Lock
                                Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

Working...