Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piston Rings

We were talking about trying to match up stock rings fromt he Hastings website, but haven't seen anything about it yet.

I was over on the Honda DOHC site, and one of the guys there took a set of his old rings, off a CB1000, and sent them to Hastings and they matched them up for him.

Was thinking, if anyone has a set laying around, we could do the same.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Hey you Crazy Cnuk,
    I have MY78E apart right now.In fact I am planning on fitting the 1st oversize
    rings today.I saw you did this with some filing and appreciated the info.
    Anyway,I have the old rings still here.So after I get the new stuff in,I should be able to send these.
    The only issue is that I noticed you said the oil rings won't work from the 1st oversize set.So I guess I can just measure my old ones before reinstalling.
    BTW-were you able to use the new oil rails without the new wavy separator and using the old separator or did you have to use the old rails and separator?
    Thanks. Rick
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I had to use the complete 'old' oil ring. The 1st over ones are made to a larger diameter, and they don't squish like the compression rings.

I think this is why my bike still uses a lot of oil.

'05 ST1300

Comment

So it smokes still?
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

No, it doesn't smoke, but ot uses a liter every 500-1000kms

'05 ST1300

Comment

Hey Crazy, did you find someone to send you some rings? If not let me know what you need.
            79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I don't need any sent to me. I understand if someone can send an old set to Hastings and they will measure them up, and match them to rings in Hastings stock.

We had chatted about doing this ourselves, but I don't think anyone did. So if anyone is near the town of Hastings, Mich. with a set of rings, they could actually drop them off.

Someone did this in the CB1000 forums. I thought it was a cool idea, as once we have the part #, it can become a sticky here in the tech forums.

'05 ST1300

Comment

If someone does get a chance to do this, I would suggest that he supply Hastings with all of the specs ( installed end gap, groove depth, side clearance, cyl diameter ) for not only the standard size but also for the oversizes. Measuring a worn ring won't help much.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Hastings will know more than we ever care to about rings. Once they know the materials, shape and design, I prettty sure they could tell US all the other stuff.

'05 ST1300

Comment

No, those specs are manufacturer-specific. If Hastings had the numbers, one could call 'em up and say "gimme a set of rings for a '79 XS1100". That doesn't seem to be the case, does it?

Comment

Well since I'm an hour away from Hastings I guess it's up to me. I'll take all the specs I can get from the book w/ rings and a piston. School is real busy right now and firearm deer hunting opens Sunday so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get there before x-mas. Open for thoughts!
                      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

and firearm deer hunting opens Sunday

WTF!?!? Rifle season opens there on a SUNDAY!?

OK. sorry.. totally off subject.. lol.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

WTF!?!? Rifle season opens there on a SUNDAY!?

OK. sorry.. totally off subject.. lol.
                          Yeah Tod, your just jealous because he starts before you do! I'll make a bet the deer are a little bigger as well!!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

"No, those specs are manufacturer-specific. If Hastings had the numbers, one could call 'em up and say "gimme a set of rings for a '79 XS1100". That doesn't seem to be the case, does it? "

Actually, since Hastings makes rings for most everything, the point is they may have them on the shelf, but since no one has asked, they don't list them, just like for the CB1000's.

Ring technology, for the most part, is not mfg specific. It has to do with the materials used and the temps involved.

I am pretty sure Hastings can get us close, then we may have to adjust end gap if needed.

'05 ST1300

Comment

your just jealous because he starts before you do! I'll make a bet the deer are a little bigger as well!!
                              Yeah on both accounts. Especially if they have them thar mulies! But, it just seems weird to start a season on a Sunday. I have always seen them start on a Saturday morning. Guys go to the woods Friday and come home Sunday.

I haven't hunted in a couple years. Got out of it when I started spear fishing while scuba diving. Sitting tucked into some rocks.. nice and quiet.. trying not to breath too loud.. waiting for that big'un to swim by... no game wardens under water.. lol.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own