No announcement yet.

Dyno Jet kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have pods, 4 into 1 kerker and coil upgrade.... Suggestions on what size jets??
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      That brings up a question I've been asking myself for a while:

Is it worth the $130 for the dynojet ket, instead of just getting new needles and emulsion tubes? I already have new, 1 year old jets (mains, pilots, and mixture screws) all the way across. If I just get new tubes and needles from MikesXS, it's about $78. Would I benefit much from the Dynojet kit as opposed to the new stock tubes and needles?
      Bug,
      One thing I did notice was a HUGE difference between the stock needles and the DJ ones... (Course, mine were '82 XJ carbs, too...) but the DJ ones were far longer, and the taper was totally different... which the DJ engineers have matched. That's where the magic is... it's not only in getting adjustable needles, and good jets... it's in the match. Believe me, they have done their homework.
      I've talked to Gurus that have tried every home combo they could think of on their carbs to get it just right, then finally tried a DJ kit... and that was that. I don't know what or how, but it just works.
      Granted, I started out following the directions... and saw improved performance, but no improved MPG... which for me was more important.
      But once I lowered those needles to notch 1... BINGO! There was both.
      I do believe it's worth it Bug... for this one main reason... how many times on these old bikes do we spend $ on a mod, and for once the mod pays for itself over time... (the more ya ride, the faster it pays ya back.) AND, at the same time really improves the overall performance, too?
      Most times, if we're lucky we feel a little performance gain from something we've done, but the investment doesn't pay you back... this one will (if your bike's mpg was like mine - around 30) by boosting it back to the 40's where it used to be new.
      Don't know how true this is... but I've been told that Yamaha actually says to replace those needle jets every 5000 miles! That's rediculous...but just think about the wear after 50,000 miles & all the years... No wonder so many people post problems w/ these carbs... even after a triple clean.
      All I can say was it was a good lesson for me when I learned what it used to get new, and saw it get back there after the kit.
      To each his own... but out of all the $ I've spent on my bike, this $ I don't regret parting with. For me, it was worth it, in more ways than one.
      Ya know what they say about distinguishing a happy biker from a sad one...
      Count the "Bugs" in his teeth... (Sorry for the pun...)
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I have heard all the horror stories about the e-tubes wearing out, and I am beginning to think that is from guys who want to sell you a new needle jet. Brass has good wear properties, so it should wear slower than the needles. Now this is just my own personal experience coming up, so feel free to tell me I am wrong, but using a gauge pin in my e-tubes didn't show any noticeable wear in the jet.

And yes I figure the DJ kit is worth it. My mileage didn't jump but the scoot does with the twist on the throttle.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
        X