No announcement yet.

Harley mufflers yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also check with any local chopper shops. the first thing almost all HD riders do is take the stock mufflers off. Find the right shop and they might just give them to you to clear up space.
    Don't wait to long( at least here in Cal.) when the smog laws eventually pass those things will become gold.

Keith
    Stop bitching, just ride!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
      Check your local Craigslist.org There's a couple sets of Hardly mufflers on my local list. Not specifically what you've asked for here, but another source.
      The hog shop suggested that but I didn't find any in on CL in Portland. Where are you at? If those are HD Dyna glide mufflers for a good price, I'll barter or pay for your trouble to get them and send them my way...

Geezzer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I see harley mufflers here in Spokane on craigslist fairly often.I can keep an eye out.Also if you scan a set on spokanes craiglist you can drop me a pm and I can go look at them and ship them for you.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I didn't see any there now but I'll keep an eye out... Thanx for the offer.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
            The hog shop suggested that but I didn't find any in on CL in Portland. Where are you at? If those are HD Dyna glide mufflers for a good price, I'll barter or pay for your trouble to get them and send them my way...

Geezzer
            I'm in San Jose, CA. If you see a set in the SF Bay Area, I could be a middle man if needed. Didn't see any Dyna Glide specifically. You do have me wondering tho, why the Dyna Glydes anyway? Quieter? Louder? Better sound?

Found this

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1318248782.html
            Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
            '07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
              - - - The crazy thing is many of the ones listed for cheap, have a $30 or more shipping price listed. I guess that's for the stupid people. - - -
              Hi Geezer,
              not necessarily, shipping costs can really mount up. A kind gentleman on this very list GAVE me a tire that didn't suit his needs. The USPS sticker showed the mailing cost was US$40.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                I always understood buying an old bike and having to replace parts that were worn, rusty or bent, but I could never understand buying a brand new one to replace all the brand new stuff on it...
                While a lot of 'em just want obnoxiously loud pipes, many are 'Paying The Harley Tax'; i.e. installing less restrictive mufflers and AC, along with a rejet or remap. This will gain you from a minumum of 15% up to 25% more RWHP on most models without affecting mileage, and no, that's not a typo. Harleys are choked pretty bad as-is from the factory due to the EPA and noise regs, so it's usually worth the money.

If only it were so easy on a XS11....

'78E original owner
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                  I'm in San Jose, CA. If you see a set in the SF Bay Area, I could be a middle man if needed. Didn't see any Dyna Glide specifically. You do have me wondering tho, why the Dyna Glydes anyway? Quieter? Louder? Better sound?
                  The Dyna mufflers are a little longer, they have a more universal mounting and don't have the crossover like some of the others do. In general I think they're a nicer looking muffler.

I had Sportster mufflers on my last XS11 and I liked those too but most of the sportster mufflers I'm seeing now have a crossover that I doubt I could line up and I don't want to deal with welding it up.

Like I said before I'm watching a couple sets on eBay and I'm going to try a couple other Harley shops. Come to think of it, I used to work at the Harley shop Vancouver, WA but I really doubt I know anybody since that was 23 yeas ago...

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                    Hi Geezer,
                    not necessarily, shipping costs can really mount up. A kind gentleman on this very list GAVE me a tire that didn't suit his needs. The USPS sticker showed the mailing cost was US$40.
                    It's not that bad in the continental USA. FedEx ground service within our boarders is pretty cheap. I doubt it would be more than 12 bucks coast to coast. I'm trying to find some on the I5 corridor (WA, OR and CA) to keep the shipping down.

Geezer

Comment

If you get a set of those harley mufflers make sure you get the ones without the cat. converter, it is stamped 0n the muffler,read the fine print that is stamped on the muffler, if you want to take out the baffles you cant on the one with the cat. converter, and for some reason only one has the converter in it, been there and done it, just to let you know.
                      If you watch craigslist you will find a set on there,i have found them on there for free, 10 bucks and have seen them go for 50.
                      1979 xs1100 f
                      142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                      floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                      1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                      1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                      !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                      when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

I have a pair of old 1100 Harley mufflers I plan to try when get time. I think as they were off an 1100 that I should have no mixture issues, I hope.

there is a guy in Dalogenah GA who specializes in used harley parts. I am sure you could google him and probably buy tons of them. My brother is a harley DBag of the standard type and his buddies are throwing pipes away all the time. i told him to never let them throw away and save for me and group. Re idiocy, what do you expect from harley guys that cant seem to get out of the way. I think they are secretly jealous when we blow by them like they are sitting still.
                        82 XJ 1100
                        98 Magna
                        past bikes
                        ST1100
                        92 Harley FXR built
                        85 XJ 700 (2)
                        86 XJ 700X

Comment

Fat Boy

Here's a set of slip on's for a Fat Boy, seem like a good price. I know Im a little out of the way but could it be what your looking for..?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/1284088977.html
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Those ones aren't bad. If the guy was local, I'd haggle with him for them. I'm still watching some on fleaBay and I'm going to check with a scrap dealer that gets them from a local HD shop soon...

Geezer

Comment

I finally scrounged up a set of what looks to be late model supper glide mufflers. Unfortunately I was couldn't find a set of the dyna pipes cheap and it took a lot of haggling to get the guy down to 45 bucks for the pair.

On the up side they're a nice looking set of mufflers that should last many years on the down side I got the ones with the cross over that I will have to weld up or plug some how. Right now I'm thinking of cutting off the fitting and slipping a sleeve over the hole if I do it right the adapter pipe will cover the hole. Anyway I'll see what the exhaust shop can do for me on this...

Geezer

Comment

why not hook up the x-over?
                                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
                                X