Harley mufflers yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley mufflers yet again

I tried to pick up a set from the 2 local Harley shops to find that both of them scrap take of pipes and won't sell or give them away.

Anybody on the list live near a Harley shop that is more reasonable and would be willing to help me find a pair for my bike?

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Lemme check with my bro-in law. He's bought 4 NEW HD's in the last two years. (He always seemed to be a little off to me to) He got a pretty good relationship with them. Sportster mufflers I assume?
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150 View Post
      Lemme check with my bro-in law. He's bought 4 NEW HD's in the last two years. (He always seemed to be a little off to me to) He got a pretty good relationship with them. Sportster mufflers I assume?
      Thanx. Dyna Glide mufflers are the best next in line would be sportster mufflers.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
        I tried to pick up a set from the 2 local Harley shops to find that both of them scrap take of pipes and won't sell or give them away.
        Geezer
        Hi Geezer,
        it would be wrong to say that all dealers are crooks and arseholes (just all the ones I've ever dealt with) but they all have to turn a profit to stay in business.
        Selling take-offs or giving them away has to be done "off the books" and reduces turnover on new stuff.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Harley probably caught on and now buys the mufflers back to put on new bikes!

Why waste those perfectly good, brand new mufflers...

I always understtod buying an old bike and having to replace parts that were worn, rusty or bent, but I could never understand buying a brand new one to replace all the brand new stuff on it...
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

One of the scrap yards here in town has a big pile of them... Don't know what they would want for a pair, the place is called Cherry City Metals.

Larry
            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
            82 XJ1100
            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
            64 Yamaha YA-6
            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

I guess I should have asked who they sold them too. I'm having trouble getting out of town or I'd check the place out.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
                I always understtod buying an old bike and having to replace parts that were worn, rusty or bent, but I could never understand buying a brand new one to replace all the brand new stuff on it...
                Yeah, what's up with that anyway? Some guys I know will buy a new harley just to take off new parts to replace with $5K-$10K shiny chrome. Is it the WOW factor? The COOL factor? Or the, "I want you to think I got so much money that I don't know what to do with it." They end up all looking the same to me anyway, but I can spot an old Jap bike from a mile away!
                My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

h-d mufflers

i bought a set up here off the local dealer for 25 bucks Canadian i know this doesn,t help you but you might try other dealers in near by states,, good luck ,, ride safe slow mo!!
                  Last edited by slow mo; 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
                  The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                  moemcnally@hotmail.com
                  i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Geezer,

I tried to go down this path myself last year. Seemed like a viable option mentioned in some threads here so I tried my luck.

I ran up against the wall: a dead end. Seems that although some owners have had success in getting HD mufflers from a shop, my contacts with 3 seperate HD shops (by phone and personal visits in my truck...) resulted in nada. Sure, they had the used mufflers but it was "policy" to not sell them. I did not tell them that the mufflers were for an XS1100 nor did I claim to be HD owner either.

YMMV but I struck out and ordered the megaphone mufflers from JCW.

Comment

Hey, Geez ...

Planedick got his off of Ebay for 10 bucks. Came out pretty nice too, except because of the way the hanger was, they had to be mounted upside down with some of the enscriptions facing upward. Barely noticable though
                      80G Mini-bagger
                      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

I got the last set off eBay and I guess I will have to do that again. I paid around $25 for the pair I put on the mongrel and I don't want to pay much more than that now.

It's amazing what some guys think their old take of pipes are worth but there are a few more reasonably priced.

Geezer

Comment

Buy direct?

Dunno which Asiatic worker-exploiting pest-hole Harley imports it's mufflers from but I'd bet they'd come dog cheap if you bought them direct and by the containerfull.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
                            Planedick got his off of Ebay for 10 bucks. Came out pretty nice too, except because of the way the hanger was, they had to be mounted upside down with some of the enscriptions facing upward. Barely noticable though
                            I'm watching 3 or 4 sets of Dynaglide mufflers and one set of Vrod mufflers. Hopefully I'll get one of those sets for a reasonable price.

The crazy thing is many of the ones listed for cheap, have a $30 or more shipping price listed. I guess that's for the stupid people.

Geezer

Comment

Check your local Craigslist.org There's a couple sets of Hardly mufflers on my local list. Not specifically what you've asked for here, but another source.
                              Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
                              '07 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                              X