Front Fork Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Fork Woes

So after the third set of fork seals this season and new bushings , one seal is still leaking a lot .There was fluid on my brakes today on the test ride . Time for different forks ?
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

If you go with the progressive springs, you won't need air anymore, and you can use the Leakproof Seals. Just a suggestion.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey

Hey Phil . I have the progressive springs (no air) and I've used 2 or 3 different kinds of seals .
      All-balls red seals ,some black seals and red seals from XJ4ever (which I think are the same as All-balls) . Inner and outer bushings have been changed as well .
      XJ1100K
      Avon rubber
      MikesXS black coils
      Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
      MikesXS front master
      Progressive fork springs
      YICS Eliminator

Comment

I've used the Leak Proof brand before on pitted tubes and they stopped the leaks. They were first designed for motocross applications, then developed for street bikes. They are flexable and don't need to be driven in like a conventional seal. Dennis Kirk has 'em. They're about $20 American for a set.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

forks

fj forks dropp right in just 1 7/8 inch spacer nice brakes nice handling
          bill hane

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            If you go with the progressive springs, you won't need air anymore, and you can use the Leakproof Seals. Just a suggestion.
            Can you replace just the springs to do this conversion? I just bought some air'd on eBay, but I'm a little worried about when they start leaking.
            Josh Yoquelet -- I'm having dreams of my XS
            '79 XS11SF "stock"- 4/1 Kerker, T.C.'s fuse block
            '79 XS11SF "bobber"- Rotted in a pine tree for 10 years
            '81 Air forks w/23,000 miles
            New steering head races and bearings
            '78/'79 standard wire harness
            Drag bars, w/Mikes controls
            T.C.'s fuse block
            PNM Coils
            7mm Dyna Wires
            NGK Resistor Caps
            Custom 1" clutch and 9/16" MC

http://xs11bobber.tripod.com

Comment

spacer

Originally posted by snowdog51 View Post
              fj forks dropp right in just 1 7/8 inch spacer nice brakes nice handling
              Where does the spacer go?
              91 kwaka kz1000p
              Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by xs11bobber View Post
                Can you replace just the springs to do this conversion? I just bought some air'd on eBay, but I'm a little worried about when they start leaking.
                Replacing the springs with the Progressive ones will eliminate the need for air, but your seals still have to be in good condition or you're gonna have fluid leaks. The ride is much better with these springs IMHO. I'm running them in both my 11's.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  Replacing the springs with the Progressive ones will eliminate the need for air...
                  Phil, to my understanding the 79's didnt have air forks unless they were specials...? Is this correct? I have been wondering about the progressive springs for mine and was wondering if they are different springs beteen the two types... Can you clarify please? Thanks.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    Phil, to my understanding the 79's didnt have air forks unless they were specials...? Is this correct? I have been wondering about the progressive springs for mine and was wondering if they are different springs beteen the two types... Can you clarify please? Thanks.
                    You are correct. The 78-79 Standards were not air forks but the 80 and up's are air type. All the Specials are air type forks. The Progressive springs are the same for all the XS11's, Standard and Special. The Specials require a 3.5" spacer on top the springs which is included in the kit, Standards (all), no spacer.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Originally posted by Axel View Post
                      So after the third set of fork seals this season and new bushings , one seal is still leaking a lot .There was fluid on my brakes today on the test ride . Time for different forks ?
                      Hi Axel,
                      and don't you just go sliding on when your brake pads get oil on them?
                      Got me a right forearm just like Popeye's from that.
                      OK, the seals I changed were most likely the one's that the bike had from the factory but if your new seals are leaking, check the fork tubes.
                      Any surface defect in the fork tube that's big enough to see or feel will chew at the seal and make it leak.
                      If you find such a flaw, replacing the tubes is the only answer. Or as you say, swapping in another fork.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

One more time - pls

Got another set of forks on the way. Polished the cr@p out of the pitted tube with crocus cloth then Autosol . Then I waxed it ??? Anyway after my holidays in NS I will be ready to confront this problem again . I just think I'll sneak out for one last ride - ok maybe 2 .
                        I cleaned the brakes off with carb cleaner and re-adjusted the pinch bolt . Seems the disc was touching the caliper !!!
                        XJ1100K
                        Avon rubber
                        MikesXS black coils
                        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                        MikesXS front master
                        Progressive fork springs
                        YICS Eliminator

Comment

Working...