No announcement yet.

Would you use this filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info on the washer, I wasn't saying it wasn't special. I was just trying to learn.

As for the fram oil filter thing, believe what you want. Sure they all have to meet standards, but some companies decided to be better than the standard. I refuse to run fram based on the "research" that I have seen. If you want to run it, go right ahead. That's why they make different filters

As for the Pennzoil thing, I didn't know they were bought out by another company. But your right, tear down of motors has swayed me away from Pennzoil. The people I drag race with noticed that if they used Valvoline that when they tore down the motor at the end of each race season, bearings looked better and there was less "crap" in the motor than if they used Pennzoil. A buddy also tore down his mother's motor out of a car once, It had regular 3000 miles or less oil changes, was driven as a daily driver, and was well took care of, but the inside of that motor was cruddy as all get out. It had never had anything but Pennzoil/fram combination it's whole life. Yet, a motor he tore down that used Valvoline and motorcraft filters looked alot better and had about the same mileage and use on it.

Anyways, im not going to argue about filters, just sharing my experience and my beliefs.

The whole thread was started to ask about a motorcycle filter and if you'd use it or not.
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Just picked up 2 fram filters from Advanced Auto parts for 4.69 each no waiting and no shipping charges!!
      Thanks bikerphil for the tip
      Could have gotten them in 3 days for 3.99 each from auto zone if I wanted to
      order them
      Gary
      1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Yep, sometimes convienence is key.

Washer specs in case anyone needs it..

ID 20mm
        OD 30mm
        1mm thick
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Pennzoil has Paraffin base, so it is pron to slugging if abused or if you go to long between oil changes, and because of this slugging, you don't want to use a flushing agent in an engine ran with Pennzoil, because it will wash off in large chunks and plug oil passages, and pump screens. Especially in "76 Olds. Omega's"
          Fastmover
          "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
          lion". SHL
          78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Yep, sometimes convienence is key.

Washer specs in case anyone needs it..

ID 20mm
            OD 30mm
            1mm thick
            This washer is available at your local yamaha dealer and costs about $2.50 Cdn.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Btdt

Andy,

That washer is a PITA to find. When I changed my oil and filter for the first time, I found the PO had "misplaced" that washer. I went to several MC shops around my area and would have had to order one As stated, about $2.50 USD. Even specialty local hardware stores had nothing that would easily work. I got lucky and found a local Yama shops service department with some very friendly guys working there. The one guy scrounged around and found one the right OD with a little smaller ID and the right thickness that I used a dremel to open up to fit the filter bolt.

Yes it was strictly convenience factor of not ordering one, that and the guy gave me the washer gratas.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Thanks for the info on the washer.

Just curious so I asked... now I know
                '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Oil Filter Washer

You can get the oil filter washer from partsnmore for a buck if you need one. If you want to make one from a regular washer, you'll probably need to Dremel out the ID a bit to get it to fit around the filter bolt.
                  Part#15-0039 at partsnmore.
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Mine was missing the washer when I did my first oil change, so I went to the Ace Hardware around the corner and found a bronze washer that fit the dimensions perfectly for about $0.75.
                    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Yeah - I got a copper one in a pack of misc. copper washers from Advance auto.
                      Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                      1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                      23mm float height
                      120 main jets
                      42.5 pilot jets
                      drilled stock airbox with K&N
                      Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                      spade fusebox
                      1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

While I have no definitive proof that Fram and Pennzoil suck...I have taken the advice to avoid them based on the experiences of others...So I would not use 'em....YMMV
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Speaking of the infamous oil filter washer/spring....

I haven't ran my filter with a washer since I owned the thing! I know, asking for it. Here's the kicker.... when i tore off the filter cup the first time there wasn't a washer OR a spring! I was like, WTF?!? Soooo... I grabbed a random (and might I add weak but long) spring about the right ID, stretched it out to give it more umph, and installed it without the washer. It seems to work... the oil stays clear for quite a while and the filter fills up with gunk.... It only really bothers me when I do the oil change....

So I guess the question is.... how important is the proper spring/washer? I know I should get one, and I plan on it. Just like I said, I forget about it. Anyone have spring recommendation? ...like where to get one?!
                          Corey J. Bennett
                          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

My thought is this, without the washer, the spring on mine just got shoved up in the oil filter. Without that spring pushing the filter into the right position, I doubt it actually filters the oil, the oil probably just bypasses the filter as there is a less restrictive path available. The filter is just sitting in a bowl and the path from in to out is open. JMHO
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I just got 5 Napa filters for $20 shipping included, not to bad.
                              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X