Would you use this filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you use this filter?

Found them on ebay... not familiar w/ what our filters look like "new" I've only seen the dirty one in my bike.

Does it look rotted, or good to go?

What worried me was if you look at the picture, it looks kinda "fuzzy" on the filter closest to you

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...utt/filter.jpg
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. JMHO. If you have an Advanced Auto parts in your area, they carry the Fram 6002 filter for our bikes, think they're about $6 ea.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it. JMHO. If you have an Advanced Auto parts in your area, they carry the Fram 6002 filter for our bikes, think they're about $6 ea.
      Thanks... I'll see if I can cross reference it. I do not like Fram filters, but by shopping on their websites, nobody carried bike parts.

The ones on ebay are 5, and are at $10 plus $10 to ship, figured i might buy them
      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Looks normal to me, except for the "made in korea" stamp. I'm still using jap originals.
        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

oil filters

canbe got at NAPA for under five buks and come with both O-rings
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I could have sworn that there was a tech tip, link, something about this already on the site, did a search, but couldn't find it with the terms I searched with. THEN checked the Tech Tips Under Construction, and found this!! I really need to clean that section out! T.C.
            Hey Crew,

Here's a list of brands and oil filter's that will work:

autozone SP2

Napa 4933

STP: SMO-2

Wix 24933

Fram CH6002

**Make sure it has BOTH rubber O-rings in the kit, one for the chamber, the small one for the filter bolt!**
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

With the advent of several megapixel cameras, a focused digital picture at that range is going to show every little fuzzy thing. When I got HD TV (same concept here) I was amazed at how messy actresses hair really is. Lots of little hairs sticking up all over the place... That's probably the reason you see fuzzy stuff on the filter.

FWIW, I don't think I'd worry too much about a korean filter. Most other filters are farmed out to other countries. Baldwin, Fram, Wix, they all get their stuff made from over seas. Now, I wouldn't go buying a Swiss watch from Korea...
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
                I do not like Fram filters
                Really?? I think this is the first time I've EVER heard anyone express a dislike for Fram filters. Any particular reason? I'm just curious. I'm not SUPER picky about filters, but I would choose Fram over any other brand if I had the choice, and I would be willing to pay a bit more for them too.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Do some research on Fram.

I won't run Pennzoil or Fram on anything I own.

The Microguard filters from walmart out perform the Fram hands down.

I'll try to find a link from another board I frequent.

I like Valvoline oil, motorcraft of Wix filters
                  '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Hi Andy,
                    the oil filters I can buy locally are by EMGO and are made in Taiwan. Their zigzag filter membrane is less fuzzy and more cardboardish than the filter in your pic but WTF yours'll most likely work fine too.
                    About your old filter, there's a plain steel washer that goes underneath the filter for the filter spring to push against. Please tell me you carefully saved it for re-use rather than throw it out with the old filter because it was stuck to it?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      Hi Andy,
                      the oil filters I can buy locally are by EMGO and are made in Taiwan. Their zigzag filter membrane is less fuzzy and more cardboardish than the filter in your pic but WTF yours'll most likely work fine too.
                      About your old filter, there's a plain steel washer that goes underneath the filter for the filter spring to push against. Please tell me you carefully saved it for re-use rather than throw it out with the old filter because it was stuck to it?
                      I'm sure it's still there. The filter I posted was from an ebay ad, I was thinking about bidding on a lot of filters (5 to be exact)

The only reason I know what my filter looks like, is because I changed the oil, and didn't have a filter at the time (just got the bike) but I drained what oil I could out of the housing for the filter.

Just wondering why it's so special if it's just a "plain steel washer"
                      Wouldn't it be easily replaced if lost if you knew the size?
                      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Do some research on Fram.

I won't run Pennzoil or Fram on anything I own.

The Microguard filters from walmart out perform the Fram hands down.

I'll try to find a link from another board I frequent.

I like Valvoline oil, motorcraft of Wix filters

The "everyone hates Fram" thing has been around the internet for quite awhile.

It is all based on taking apart a couple of Frams and someone deciding that it "doesn't look very good". There have been no "studies" that I've seen that have actually measured the filters performance.

Most people think it's poor because it has a "cardboard" end cap. Well the "cardboard" is resign impregnated cardboard/paper bonded to the paper filter elements. I've never heard of any failing, and no one ever seems to mind that the paper filter is bonded less securely to the metal endcaps on other filters. The bonding agent adheres to the cardboard much better than it does to metal.

The other thing that people hold against Frams is that the square inches of surface area of the filter material may be smaller than other filters. Again, this may have nothing at all to do with the filtering ability - no tests have been done to determine that the filter material doesn't actually filter sufficiently.

The claims that Fram oil filters are poor quality are simply based on unscientific opinions that they are no good because they don't look like they are. The filters meet the same SAE testing standards as other brands.

I have used them on my cars, including the 'rod' for years with no problems, however in the spirit of freedom of choice, each to his own.
                        1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                        2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

"It is all based on taking apart a couple of Frams and someone deciding that it "doesn't look very good". There have been no "studies" that I've seen that have actually measured the filters performance."

I've never heard anything about air or fuel filters from Fram, but I have seen tests with oil filters where Fram was almost the worst filter you could buy. This was for automotive oil filters, but I see no reason they would be better for bikes.
                          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I've used one filter or another through the years. None seemed to make the oil last longer or seem to detriment my engine. I make sure all the filters I used for my car have an antidrain back valve, but most do. That said, I use the EMGO filters for my bike. I have a bunch, cuz Partsnmore or one of those sites has a minimum order for free shipping and I always seemed to be shy of that amount. I'd tack on filters till I reached the free shipping threshold.

Interesting thing about Pennzoil: I hear they are owned by another big oil company now.... wanna say Castrol or something. Because of this they changed there "base formula" or something like that; something a lot better. I've been opposed to Pennzoil for a long time (I use either Valvoline, Motorcraft, or Castrol). After seeing several motors torn down after using Pennzoil and Valvoline, Valvoline is the one to go for handsdown. Based on these new reports though, I wonder if Pennzoil will be better now?

Anyone else here of this?
                            Corey J. Bennett
                            '79 XS1100SF

Comment

It's a bastard

Just wondering why it's so special if it's just a "plain steel washer" Wouldn't it be easily replaced if lost if you knew the size?
                              size, that is.
                              Hi Andy,
                              that's plain washer as in not a serrated edge washer or a single coil spring washer. The washer ID has to fit the filter bolt and it's OD has to match the filter's central rubber seal. Betcha a stock washer wouldn't be the same, eh?
                              Not irreplaceable, no; but it's far less hassle not to have to come up with a new one.
                              The actual dimensions are buried somewhere in this list.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X