Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The "fart can" refers to import hondas, etc w/ the big stupid exhausts."

Ah, Go-kart racers.

I blame Fast and Furious, especially since the director knows nothing about cars!

Those could have been decent movies, if they had a director with even a modicum of vehicle knowledge. Instead they got some twit who thinks cars are like the toys he had when he was a kid!
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
      "The "fart can" refers to import hondas, etc w/ the big stupid exhausts."

Ah, Go-kart racers.

I blame Fast and Furious, especially since the director knows nothing about cars!

Those could have been decent movies, if they had a director with even a modicum of vehicle knowledge. Instead they got some twit who thinks cars are like the toys he had when he was a kid!

exactly!!!!!!!!
      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

The Fire Dragon has the old Jardine "spaghetie pipes" 4 into 2 exhaust on it. I know that this is not available any more and that really saddens me as I would like one to put in on my other XS11. Under about 3000rpm it is just a deep rumble, from 3000 to 5000 is is a louder rumble and over 5500 it is an incredible very deep snarl. Enough to turn any head around! There is absolutly no "fart can" sound to the Jardines. I have never liked the sound of any 4 into 1 exhaust, gimme the 4 into 2's any day! The nicest part of it all is that at low r's it will not attract the attention of the gestapo.
        The Old Tamer
        1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

My "infamous" cherry bomb mod is more quiet at idle than the video, but when I get on the throttle and let the revs come up, it really growls. Much better than the Mac. I instinctively knew what the term "fart can" meant. Its what comes from the Mac system. LOL
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

My std had your 'cheery bomb' mod on it when i got it.

Those mufflers last about a year before they turn into a big rust can.

Personally, I never liked the 4:1 sound either, nor the MAC 4:2 turnouts.

One of the ones I did like was the old Honda 4:4.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Hrm, looks like I may be in the market for a 4 into 2 header and mufflers then
              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

My E has the Jardine "spagetti pipes" 4 into 2 system. My LG has an (to the best of my knowledge) RC Engineering 4 into 1 with the aforementioned baffle/disc/endcap set-up. I do still plan the 4 into 1 into 2 mod if SWMOB ever goes back to work.

I still have the OEM exhaust for both bikes (not for sale).
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Been doing a little work to my Special's exhaust. I was running a Mac 4-1, and was tired of the discoloring chrome of the header pipes and the 'ol fart can sound. First, I scuffed the header pipe with a sanding sponge. Cleaned it up with contact cleaner, and sprayed them with 2000F Rustoleum black header paint. Here they are after about 100 miles...

Then the next thing was to get rid of that tinny sounding Mac can. I decided for my first experiment to slap on a Kerker can with a 2 1/4" ID inlet. To achieve the bend from the header to the can, I'm temporarily using 2 1/4" flex tubing.

The front joint fit perfect on the header using the Mac clamp. The rear gave me a bit of trouble with the size. I ended up using a piece of 2 1/4 OD pipe over the flex tube to make a tight fit in the can. It doesn't leak, even though I haven't clamped it yet. Let me tell you, no fart can noise no more! This sucker is pretty loud and deep toned, with any noticeable lack of power.

This week, I'll be trying this with a brandy new Supertrapp can. After a bit of testing, I'll have some rigid pipe made up to be plug and play for whatever set-up I like the best. So if you want better sound from your muffler, by all means do it.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

...AND it will be easily removable for extracting the rear axle to that side.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      ...AND it will be easily removable for extracting the rear axle to that side.
                      Of course it will be. I'd have it no other way! You know the tone is good when you set off car alarms when riding by.

Correction to my above post, did it late last nite.

1. No noticable power loss.
                      2. 2 1/2" OD sleeve at rear joint.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Phil, definitely looks nice!! Good work!
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks, DG. It looks even better now until I get my Supertrapp.

The best sounding can I've found so for is called a Winning. It looks a little beat up now until I fix it up a bit, but by far has the deepest warm tone. It even has the same bend as the Kerker and slips right on plug and play to the Kerker 4-1 header.

2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

"You know the tone is good when you set off car alarms when riding by."

Just like my ex girlfreind's '63 Beetle!

You'll think the tone is good until you OWN a car alarm and the punk kid down the street sets it off every 15 minutes with his Toyota.

'05 ST1300

Comment

They both look slick to me Phil. I like the deep tones for sure. My street/strip Cutlass has 3" exhaust pipes on it with flowmasters and of course a T-Y cut in in front of the mufflers with wingnuted cover plates. That thing will wake the dead when you get in it. Only thing louder (or close to it) is the stereo.

Most trouble I have ever had with car alarms was from the people with the early "Viper" brand alarms that have motion sensors. Every time it rains you listen to "Stand back...protected by Viper" all frickin day long.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread...my pipes are drilled with 1/4" holes int he end of the baffle plates. 8 per side. Sound pretty good to me.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X