No announcement yet.

making the muffler louder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike already has the pod filters on it, so Im out of luck on that.

I just don't want the resonation i don't guess..

What are some type of pipes you guys have used that made it sound less crotchrockety?
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
      What are some type of pipes you guys have used that made it sound less crotchrockety?
      I run the Kerker (old type with the large collector) with the baffle removed. It sounds much more "throaty" thru all RPM ranges than any other setup I've heard. I'm running 1 size up on the pilots and 2 sizes up on the mains. I'd record a video/audio clip for you, but my digital camera won't do it any justice.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Biggest problem with trying to match the Harley sound is that the sound a harley makes is called 'gutless'.

In order to get the low thump, you need 1 or 2 cylinders, a retarded firing sequence and no compression. Adding a ton of weight to lug around also helps.

The problem that bikes with power have is that they have too much compression to make the low frequency noises.

The real issue is that even if you annoy the hell out of the neighbors, and everyone else on the road, and even if you pay the tickets your penis will still be the same size.

Loud is about your vanity, not performance.
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
          Biggest problem with trying to match the Harley sound is that the sound a harley makes is called 'gutless'.

In order to get the low thump, you need 1 or 2 cylinders, a retarded firing sequence and no compression. Adding a ton of weight to lug around also helps.

The problem that bikes with power have is that they have too much compression to make the low frequency noises.

The real issue is that even if you annoy the hell out of the neighbors, and everyone else on the road, and even if you pay the tickets your penis will still be the same size.

Loud is about your vanity, not performance.

While I do agree with you on part of this, I think its just a HD vs our bike type thing...

I could careless about the exhaust picking up any more performance as it is already to powerful honestly. lol I just get tired of the "fart can" sound as it's annoying as hell. It has nothing to do w/ trying to make my penis bigger. lmao

I just wanted to know what exhausts you guys used to try and get rid of some of the fart can sound. I removed my baffle earlier completely and still not very happy with it.

I guess nobody w/ the "traditional HD type pipes" that have 2 out the right side has spoken up yet. They look better in my opinion and was wondering on the sound.

I'll dry drilling a few holes in my baffle end to see how that helps
          '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

hi andy

i bought new harley mufflers and drilled 1/2 in hole in each baffle ..i have not put them on the bike yet! the point is that you can buy new harley mufflers for 25 bucks and test out your sound!! slow mo~
            The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
            moemcnally@hotmail.com
            i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Hey Andysutt - I know exactly what you are talking about. I know lots of guys that have used the re-bar idea (in fact most I know do this instead of buying a new louder exhaust for a deeper tone) I have a 4 into one & have just bought a fantastically almost new 2 into 2 original xj exhast from one of the members on this site - I will try this setup this summer & I have a long piece of rebar beside the tin shed that will be used to lower the tone if I don't like it. The best way is the suggestion you made yourself. Drill holes into the end of the muff till "you get the sound you like" To be honest next winter I plan to try to use the 2 into one headers from the double walled 'xj' exhaust into a 32" fishtail exhaust ($52 each) This exhaust comes with 3 different removable baffles 3", 8" and 12". I will buy them and try them out for the best sound that 'I" like. I also like the look of the fishtail exhaust. I agree also with the tons of power - mine is a "monster". If you use "iridium" plugs from NGK they burn hotter & don't foul up as easy (they last forever) so the whole jetting thing isn't always that critical. Just my opinon - Dan
              '81 XS1100 LH - Midnight Special - been lookin' a long time for this one.
              1179 big bore kit, 80SG motor
              Rebuilt head, valves
              TC Bros Forward Controls (Brass Pegs)
              Tkat Fork Brace
              T.C. Spade Fuse Box
              Dyna Coils & wires
              Mikesxs shocks,controls,& bars (special)
              ISO grips with stelleto ends
              4 into 1 black Bassani exhaust
              Bridgestone Spitfires
              Tuned by Tinman905
              & a will to keep it.

Comment

I honestly only know what mine sounds like when I ride it and when I go through high concrete wall areas, or start it in my garage. I think it sounds pretty throaty. DBeardsley could maybe tell you more as he followed me last night. In fact, I named my bike because I think it thunders at higher RPM. (that and a really cool AC/DC song!!). Don't get me wrong, to quote a really cool saying by a great man "It Ain't no Shake Pile Harley!!" And it don't sound like one. But it does not have that tinny sound that some with the 4-1 have based on the videos I have seen.

Mine has stock 4 into 2 exhaust with the crossover, but the PO drilled out the baffles. about eight 1/4" diameter holes I guess. I'll measure them and count later and report back.
                Last edited by DGXSER; 03-24-2009, 06:55 PM.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by blackdawg View Post
                  hi guys need some tips,on my 1980 xs1100 special i have a 4 into one.when i bought the bike it had a header on it.sounds nice.its getting some holes in it,so it has been patched a few times.i bought another used exhaust the pipes and the muffler.i have to move a bracket hanger on it.now can i take anything out of the muffler to make it a little louder as it looks like a stock one.or i'am i wasting my time.blackdawg
                  For what it's worth, here's my muffler...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It's homemade and connected to 4 - 1 of unknown origin, possibly homemade by the PO.

The muffler is a 3" 1/2 piece of exhaust tube necked down to fit the header tube. The baffle is a piece of 1" 1/2 tube welded to a ring made from a short piece of the 3 1/2 with about 1/8" removed and closed up to interference fit inside the main tube. A welded nut and allen screw hold it in.

The baffle tube was made by stragegically placed hacksaw cuts opened up with a nail punch.

I made and fitted it about 9 years ago and have loved it ever since. It gives a good throaty tone at all but full noise, where it screams like a banshee and scares women and small children for miles around, and thats with the baffle in. It's loud without the baffle, but the engine loves it and pulls like a schoolboy to the redline and beyond.

We now have dba tests at our 6 monthly safety (WOF) checks and it passes so it's not too noisy. Maximum permissable is 100 dba.
                  1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                  2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by 'fart can' sound.

Between Harley and Porsche, I like the Porsche sound.

If you want real sound, try big cube V8 on alcohol...

It is the one thing I really miss these days is the original sound of an XS (or any of the inline 4's) back when they were brand new.

Back when they came out in the 70's, there was no beating the stock sound of a KZ-1000, GS-1000, CB900 or XS1100. The CBX was a whole other story. These made the inline twins of the previous decade sound like sewing machines.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Im pretty sure my pipe isnt a stock one, but not sure what it is.

The "fart can" refers to import hondas, etc w/ the big stupid exhausts.

Here is a picture of my exhaust...

I've ran it with it in it the way it came when I got it..

and with just the big end in it.

Still get the rattle/fartcan/import car sound.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...t/exhausts.jpg
                      '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Andy,

For work (US Customs), I use to run this 38' Cigarette boat with twin 575's and no mufflers on the exhaust. I was young at the time and still full of piss and vinegar.

The first week....."Man, this sounds bad azz!"

After that....."Man, this sound is a royal pain in the azz!"

Throbbing headaches, hearing loss and annoyed neighbors, go figure.

But you've got to do what you're going to do. Get it out of your system, I guess.

Me....I much more prefer a nice quiet purr.

Stay safe on the roads,

Don
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
                          Andy,

For work (US Customs), I use to run this 38' Cigarette boat with twin 575's and no mufflers on the exhaust. I was young at the time and still full of piss and vinegar.

The first week....."Man, this sounds bad azz!"

After that....."Man, this sound is a royal pain in the azz!"

Throbbing headaches, hearing loss and annoyed neighbors, go figure.

But you've got to do what you're going to do. Get it out of your system, I guess.

Me....I much more prefer a nice quiet purr.

Stay safe on the roads,

Don

I've been thru that before... several drag cars with open headers cures that really fast.

I guess most of you guys think I want a loud bike, when in all reality i just want rid of the ricer sound... *shrug* oh well. I guess that's what I don't fit this crowd it seems...
                          '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Kerker 4-1 no baffle

Here's an A/V clip of the exhaust on my 79F. Turn up your volume!

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=HPIM0548.flv
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thats exactly what im wanting, or close....
                              '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Phil - Bike sounds great, and I loved the video. Sounds like an angry bumble bee . Along that vein, if you want to hear a really cool sound, play Phil's video at the same time this one is playing. Just click Phil's link, then immediately click the second one. Change your focus to Phil's vid, and enjoy.

Phil's vid - http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=HPIM0548.flv

Added audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgjzHSVDEA

Congrats on Guru status Phil!
                                I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                                X