making the muffler louder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making the muffler louder

hi guys need some tips,on my 1980 xs1100 special i have a 4 into one.when i bought the bike it had a header on it.sounds nice.its getting some holes in it,so it has been patched a few times.i bought another used exhaust the pipes and the muffler.i have to move a bracket hanger on it.now can i take anything out of the muffler to make it a little louder as it looks like a stock one.or i'am i wasting my time.blackdawg
    BLACKDAWG

I have a 4 to 1 with a Kerker megaphone style pipe. Last year the baffle rusted out and fell apart inside the muffler and now it's loud as hell. I haven't been able to get the end cap off of the muffler to do anything about it, so the baffle is still laying inside.

I probably should have re-tuned the carbs after that happened, but all I've really noticed (besides the sound) is an increase in top end power. Oh yeah, and sometimes when I hit a bump it sounds like someone hit me in the tailpipe with a rock.
    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
    3J6 003509
    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
    Fuse Block Upgrade
    Mike's XS Green Coils
    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

I have thought about removing my baffle, but i was worried i might have to readjust the carbs too much.
      Sounds like it might work and worth a shot.
      1980 xs1100 LG Midnight Special - first bike - pickup wire fix - fuel lines, inline filters, and inline shutoff valves - rebuilt calipers -

Comment

I have a 4>1 RC Eng exhaust. When I got it it had no baffelling at all, empty megaphone can. It was loud (duh).
        I installed a fiberglass wrapped baffle and installed that in the muffler. Still loud.
        Bought 10 SuperTrapp discs (4") and an endcap. Nice mellow tone and better power than the open exhaust. (side note, the bike has an 1196 kit and had 125 main jets).
        Got 10 more discs by accident (they were supposed to be 3") and put them on. Louder, but not as bad as the empty muffler.
        Now it has 10 discs and 120 main jets. Fairly quiet and runs great.
        Louder does not equal faster. It's not safer either, just annoying to those behind you. Yes loud does impress young people but everyone else knows better. If loud was safer then my insurance company would lower my premiums with straight pipes.

(see my signature for disclaimer )
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

If you have a 4 to 1, and want loud, just run the header only. It'll make your ears bleed.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I to have a kerker on my sh
            its to quiet with the fiberglass wrap on the baffle so I take it out
            my baffle also fell inside the megaphone same as egleaves
            I would not have bothered getting
            it out but the sounds that were coming up from below were freaking me out
            I pulled the megaphone off and used a broom handle to push the cap out of the megaphone
            then began a series of failed attempts to place the baffle back on the cap
            I would use some sort of adhisive and the thing would be floating around by
            time I got home from 1 ride
            finally finding my answer in JB WELD they sell it at most parts stores
            its been 2 years and its still on
            Gary
            1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Loudnerizing

Originally posted by blackdawg View Post
              hi guys need some tips,on my 1980 xs1100 special i have a 4 into one.when i bought the bike it had a header on it.sounds nice.its getting some holes in it,so it has been patched a few times.i bought another used exhaust the pipes and the muffler.i have to move a bracket hanger on it.now can i take anything out of the muffler to make it a little louder as it looks like a stock one.or i'am i wasting my time.blackdawg
              Hi Blackdawg,
              I got a busted off Dodge Dart torsion bar, it's 2 feet long with a fat hex on one end and a jagged torsion failure point on the other. Or you could use a piece of rebar. Pound it into muffler to punch the baffles out. Do it right on the bike. Works real easy to loudnerize the exhaust note but if the noise is too much afterwards there's no backsies on the procedure, you have to spring for new mufflers.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                Works real easy to loudnerize the exhaust note but if the noise is too much afterwards there's no backsies on the procedure, you have to spring for new mufflers.
                I just love the technical terminology in this one!!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Removing the baffles will send you directly to carb hell!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I've tinkered with mine lately.

I want the throaty sound of a HD bike or the sorts, not a crotch rocket.

I ran it w/ open 4 into 1 header... sounded good at idle, crappy rest of time.

I had a problem getting the baffle out also, but one good bang against a blanket laying on the floor (not to damage the part) got the baffle out

I ran it w/o a baffle, sounded terrible.

I cut one of the baffles off and sounded decent, but has a rattling sound at certain RPMS.

I've seen some pics pictures of pipes on these bikes, that look like the new style pipes off of Yamahas, Suzukis, etc... but dont know what they are exactly or what would even fit our bikes
                    '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
                      I've tinkered with mine lately.

I want the throaty sound of a HD bike or the sorts, not a crotch rocket.
                      I imagine that is going to be rather tough, since these bikes ARE crotch rockets. At least they are the grandfathers of the modern ones anyway. Gonna be hard to get that low, "thup, thup, thup" sound out of a bike that runs 4 cylinders happily at 5k RPMs too.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Before I bought Betsy I was looking at an old KZ750 that had blown the baffles out. The guy had taken a spin-on oil filter (of the appropriate diameter), cut the end with the hole in it off, and welded it inside the muffler. It was louder than one with baffles, but not as loud as a wide open pipe. The little hole provides enough restriction that it might not cause jetting issues. Not saying this is what you should do, but it was one guys fix. JAT
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          I imagine that is going to be rather tough, since these bikes ARE crotch rockets. At least they are the grandfathers of the modern ones anyway. Gonna be hard to get that low, "thup, thup, thup" sound out of a bike that runs 4 cylinders happily at 5k RPMs too.

Yes, I am aware of the "grandfather to crotch rocket"

I don't necessarily have to have the thup thup thup, but don't like the resonation that i get sometimes...
                          '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Ain't gonna happen

Originally posted by andysutt View Post
                            I've tinkered with mine lately. I want the throaty sound of a HD bike or the sorts, not a crotch rocket. - - -
                            Hi Andy,
                            the pulses are against you. The XS11 is a straight four which fires regularly. A Harley is a 45ยบ V-twin which fires irregularly and only has half the cylinders.
                            No way can one be made to sound like the other no matter what is done to the mufflers.
                            No! Wait! There is a way! Muffle the XS11 down to absolutely quiet then get a sound system that broadcasts a recording of a Harley exhaust note.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Andy - Pod filters will change the sound, but you can also wind-up with jetting issues. I was amazed at the difference it made on mine - much more thumpy note. But you're right, trying to get an inline four to sound like a v-twin could be a problem. I'd be worried that, if I got it to sound like one, it might run like one too .
                              I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X