No announcement yet.

Spark Plug poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this video out on the web Modifying Resistor Plug to Non Resistor Plug - DIY - YouTube. Of course the video is working with a champion plug rather then NGK. The video is what prompted my question. Why NGK chose to quit making the BP6ES is puzzling. As far as I know they are still making the cooler plug BP7ES. Anything to abandon our old bikes I suppose.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Right, I've pulled spark plugs apart before and it's not worth it to fool with the resistors.

Leave the plugs alone. They're, like, 5K Ohms so get rid of any resistors in the caps almost exactly the same way the guy did in the video but without the blowtorch.

If you're still using the stock ignition coils the high voltage wires have stainless steel cores so they're effectively 0 Ohms and the resistors are in the caps.
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

For what it's worth, that 7ES might work just fine. My ZRX 1200 has been running NGK CR10EIX, one heat range colder than CR9EIX. This CR9 in any iteration is the stock heat range. I'm running high compression pistons which was the reason for doing it.

I don't see why an XS wouldn't work with the 7ES. I don't have an XS to try it in anymore but maybe someone would take one for the team and report back.
        Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I've used the 7s when I was riding in the desert during the summer. It didn't make much difference.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

understood... my question though is there a way to remove the resistor from the old style plug caps or the BPR6ES plugs?
            I guess we switch out the resistor caps to the non-resistor type. NGK has/had non-resistor caps.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I don't remember what the number is and it's too cold to go look at the plugs in my bike but I use Bosch platinum plugs and I've been happy with them in everything I've ever put them in.

Tony
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

My, Platinum plugs are so 1980s... LOL. 😊
                Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                  My, Platinum plugs are so 1980s... LOL. 😊
                  So am I for the most part...

Tony
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

True that, Platinum plugs are all I ran in my vehicles until iridium became available.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                    X